Purchasing a MDX... - Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-29-2017, 11:21 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 4
Purchasing a MDX...

Hello everyone, i am looking at getting a mdx, im debating between 2008 and a 2010. What features were available in which year. I will list a outline and hopefully you can help.

2008 MDX
sale ad states fully loaded with comfort, sport, technology and entertainment package. It has about 55k miles and asking 17k for it.

2010 MDX
sale add states again its fully loaded with sport, tech and entertainment package as well as laser cruise control, automatic braking and blind spot. This has 66k miles and price at 24k.

what would you say is the difference? From what i see both do not have bluetooth audio and is it worth paying the extra for 2010? 08 is black which i like but 10 is white which i do not mind either. Im not new to acura but mdx i am. I had been debating betweek a x5, ml350 and mdx. I am a bmw fan but suv the mdx always looked more appealing to me.

harminder247 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-30-2017, 01:32 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 74
There is some significant differences between the 07-09 and 10-13. I would research those first and decide what version you want. Otherwise, virtually all MDXs are "loaded", so you need to be careful about what advertisers list. I am not listing every detail, but I will help you with a quick overview.

Base=Base
Technology=Base plus Premium audio, nav, permium leather and lots of other tech features
Sport=Base+Technology plus adaptive shocks, perforated leather, different wheels
RES= Rear Entertainment package which can be included on Tech or Sport models
Apex1 is offline  
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-30-2017, 02:24 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 373
all 10 modes + have upgraded audio, bluetooth phone calls and audio, USB inputs (at least I know the 2010+ Tech's have this) , etc... 6 speed auto's etc...upgraded interiors in a few places too...

2002 MDX 225K miles.. Silver/Black
2011 MDX Tech 105K Miles Palladium/Taupe
2003 BMW Z4 3.0 54K Miles 6 Speed Titan Silver/Dream Red
PTC DAWG is offline  
 
post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-30-2017, 02:44 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Greater Toronto Area, Canada
Posts: 127
I am not sure where you are from, Harminder, but if you are in Canada, the packages are down to:

For 2007-2009

Technology
Elite

There are some differences. Technology in Canada is navigation + CD changer + bluetooth, but there is no power liftgate
Elite in Canada is basically what you see for the US Sport + Entertainment packages. If you want the power liftgate, you need the Elite package

Canada models also have heated seats and headlight washers as standard.

I just bought an Elite this week, picking it up tomorrow (it's an 08).

For 2010 there is also a package called Advanced I believe and while I don't remember everything it comes with, I believe the blind spot monitor is one of them - and some other upgrades.

One major difference that I learned that my 2008 DOES NOT come with is Bluetooth music streaming. It only does Bluetooth calls, so I had to buy a separate kit for this. For the 2010s, the Bluetooth streaming is included.

It would be best for you to explore the forums here because for some model years, they have some issues that owners have reported, that were not in other model years. It also gives you a chance to get to know the very nice people who are on this site. But ultimately you need to determine which options are important to you. I believe there are some styling differences between the two models, but again those are subjective.

-Jeremy

2004 MDX Touring Forest Green
2008 MDX Elite Smoky Grey
thegazelle is offline  
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-30-2017, 03:07 PM
Registered User
 
mrgold35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: ABQ, NM
Posts: 1,255
Garage
The 08 sounds like a Tech (Navi, upgraded rims) + sport (magnetic suspension, larger front/rear stabilizer bars). The 08 will also have a 5AT without paddle shifter on the steering wheel (stick shift manual mode shifter). The Navi will be the older CD/ROM type, no bluetooth streaming audio, and you need a few of the voice commands to connect handsfree for your phone.

The 10 MDX sounds like an Advance model with rear entertainment (not sure if rear entertainment is OEM or aftermarket). The +10 Adv/Ent is the maxed out model a level above the 07-09 MDX tech/sport/Ent versions:
- CMBS automatic radar controlled emergency braking, has several levels of alert from beeping/M.I.D. warning only and up to full braking+warning sound+M.I.D. warning+seatbelt pre-tensioners deployed
- ACC: active cruise control, uses CMBS radar to maintain 1 of 3 preset intervals on the hwy. Works extremely well
- BSI, blind spot monitoring, yellow light near side view mirrors alert you if someone is in your blind spot
- IDS, magnetic struts/shocks for comfort or sport settings. Also assist in keeping the MDX level in acceleration, corners, and braking
- seat-belt pre-tensioners, tighten seat-belts for added safety if CMBS is engaged
- the 07-09 Sport and +10 advance come with larger front/rear stabilzer bars
- the 10 MDX come with updated 19 inch rims
- Auto level headlights, if rear suspension lowers too much, the HIDs will adjust to stay level to the ground
- 3 level heated front seats
- 3 level cooled front seats
- 2 level heated 2nd row outside seats for OEM Ent system only
- CD slot for rear Ent system in center stack (no blueray support), IR head phones, three 3.5mm jacks for wired headphones, 110v plug in front arm rest.

The +10 MDX tech versions do have upgraded tech features over the 07-09 MDX:
- hard drive based Navi for faster start ups and data access
- a little larger navi screen with deeper colors
- can get XM traffic and weather
- rip CDs to navi 40GB hard drive
- bluetooth audio streaming
- can load Gracenotes to MDX for artist information for ripped CDs (never tried loading)
- USB plug in armrest to connect smartphone or USB stick with music
- load smartphone phone list with bluetooth
- can sync, place calls, load address book, and speed dial phone numbers with knob (no voice commands to remember)
- Can input Navi addresses by zip first to cut a few input steps
- (my favorite) you can input navi address by phone number to set the destination
- power lift gate standard
- larger 2nd row head rest
- updated front/rear bumpers
- 6AT with steering wheel mounted paddles

The HUGE issue you will have with both vehicles are the magnetic shocks/struts. Acura has offered a 100,000 miles extended warranty on them because they can fail at anytime. I had my fronts replaced at 35,000 miles and all 4 corners have been fine since (almost 90K now). I don't know when the 100k Acura warranty will expire with time on the 07-09 MDX sport models. You should have more time with the +10 Adv models if you are way under the mileage limit.

__________________
Son - 06 TSX 5AT w/ Navi, Carbon Gray w/ Quartz (handed down for 16th B-day Mar/14)
His - 08 RDX Tech, Moroccan Red Pearl w/ Taupe (finally replaced Takata airbag on 6/16/16 after 86 days with rental)
Her - 11 MDX Adv/Ent, Palladium Metallic w/ Ebony
mrgold35 is offline  
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-31-2017, 02:43 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 1,319
I personally think the '07-'09 drive better/more sporty than the '10+. The steering feel alone is a big plus and the 5spd transmission shifts better than the lazy 6spd. Nice upgrades on the '10 but given the price difference...unless you just really want the safety nannies I'd probably be looking closely at the '08. There are some nice aftermarket bluetooth adapters you can plug into the audio jack that work quite well. I have one in an older vehicle that was only around $35 and I'd argue it works better than the Acura OEM bluetooth in my '12.

'12 MDX Tech
skinny2 is offline  
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-06-2017, 12:31 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 4
thanks everyone for your help. I found one i am picking up today which is a 2012 mdx advance. Very clean and found it with 27k miles. Any recommendations on what i should do besides the planned viper smartstart and window tint i have planned.
harminder247 is offline  
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-06-2017, 01:34 PM
Registered User
 
Priscillababy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Michigan
Posts: 1,027
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinny2 View Post
I personally think the '07-'09 drive better/more sporty than the '10+. The steering feel alone is a big plus and the 5spd transmission shifts better than the lazy 6spd. Nice upgrades on the '10 but given the price difference...unless you just really want the safety nannies I'd probably be looking closely at the '08. There are some nice aftermarket bluetooth adapters you can plug into the audio jack that work quite well. I have one in an older vehicle that was only around $35 and I'd argue it works better than the Acura OEM bluetooth in my '12.
could you please (if possible) provide an Amazon link to this particular aftermarket 'bluetooth adaptor' that you've installed in your 2nd gen. MDX?

2009 MDX
Tech Pkg
Bali Blue Pearl
Priscillababy is offline  
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-06-2017, 04:57 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Greater Toronto Area, Canada
Posts: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Priscillababy View Post
could you please (if possible) provide an Amazon link to this particular aftermarket 'bluetooth adaptor' that you've installed in your 2nd gen. MDX?
The one we got is US Spec BT45-ACU or something like that. Plugs into where your XM unit goes assuming you do not use it. Great thing is it allows full control using the onboard buttons and controls

-Jeremy

2004 MDX Touring Forest Green
2008 MDX Elite Smoky Grey
thegazelle is offline  
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-07-2017, 09:33 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 1,319
Quote:
Originally Posted by Priscillababy View Post
could you please (if possible) provide an Amazon link to this particular aftermarket 'bluetooth adaptor' that you've installed in your 2nd gen. MDX?
You misread my statement. I have the adapter in a different vehicle (an '08 Nissan Pathfinder), not the MDX. I bought it 4-5 years ago so I'm sure there are even better (and maybe cheaper) options at this point. The one I have just plugs into the audio input jack (basically a female headphone jack input). It connects immediately to my iphone, automatically starts up pandora or my music player, and is very reliable. Unlike the Acura Bluetooth that is very temperamental about connecting and playing music.

'12 MDX Tech
skinny2 is offline  
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-07-2017, 09:54 AM
Registered User
 
mrgold35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: ABQ, NM
Posts: 1,255
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by harminder247 View Post
thanks everyone for your help. I found one i am picking up today which is a 2012 mdx advance. Very clean and found it with 27k miles. Any recommendations on what i should do besides the planned viper smartstart and window tint i have planned.
Congrats on the new ride! I love the way my adv handles on the hwy using ACC.

Some things I had to do was:
- deleted all the previous owner's personal data (phone, HDD music, address book, save navi info)
- got all weather floor mats, either OEM or weathertech
- updated wipers to Bosch ICON, less wind noise, no water splash back on down stroke, and lower profile for better visibility out windshield
- check alignment, it was off and it was a little squirrely on the hwy at +75 mph
- got rid of the OEM tires because of cracks in the sidewalls (20" Conti DWS 1st set, Conti DWS 06 2nd set)
- adjust the height of the HIDs, they were aimed too low
- later, upgrade the HIDs to OSRAM XENARC 66240 CBI, a lot better than OEM HIDs
- the OEM battery was extremely weak and I upgraded to Interstate AGM
- Did the map update for $99. Maps only come out once a year in the fall for $199, $149 by winter, and $99 by spring. I do the update every 2nd or 3rd year after that in the spring/summer.

If you decide to add an hitch later, make sure it can take a full size spare tire like the OEM hitch.

__________________
Son - 06 TSX 5AT w/ Navi, Carbon Gray w/ Quartz (handed down for 16th B-day Mar/14)
His - 08 RDX Tech, Moroccan Red Pearl w/ Taupe (finally replaced Takata airbag on 6/16/16 after 86 days with rental)
Her - 11 MDX Adv/Ent, Palladium Metallic w/ Ebony
mrgold35 is offline  
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-07-2017, 11:25 AM
Registered User
 
Priscillababy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Michigan
Posts: 1,027
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegazelle View Post
The one we got is US Spec BT45-ACU or something like that. Plugs into where your XM unit goes assuming you do not use it. Great thing is it allows full control using the onboard buttons and controls
thanks- i do use XM radio, but like others have been suffering from frequent signal loss within the past several months (completely unacceptable and annoying!)...so perhaps bluetooth is the way to go...this thing does look like it could be a PITA to install though....

USA SPEC BT45-ACU Bluetooth Phone, Music & AUX Input Kit for Select 2005-2009 Acura Models
https://www.amazon.com/USA-BT45-ACU-.../dp/B00NUDEIWA

2009 MDX
Tech Pkg
Bali Blue Pearl
Priscillababy is offline  
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-07-2017, 01:57 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Greater Toronto Area, Canada
Posts: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Priscillababy View Post
thanks- i do use XM radio, but like others have been suffering from frequent signal loss within the past several months (completely unacceptable and annoying!)...so perhaps bluetooth is the way to go...this thing does look like it could be a PITA to install though....

USA SPEC BT45-ACU Bluetooth Phone, Music & AUX Input Kit for Select 2005-2009 Acura Models
https://www.amazon.com/USA-BT45-ACU-.../dp/B00NUDEIWA
Just so you know...my nine-year-old daughter installed this. Take out the trunk floor door (2 hinges), remove the underpad container piece, XM tuner is on the rear right side. Unplug the big plug. Plug that into the Y cable and then plug the other part of the Y cable into the XM tuner. She did it in like 5-8 minutes. She also did the bluetooth in my 04, which is far more difficult as it requires taking out the head unit but she did it anyway...and she is nine (it took her about 40 minutes to do the bluetooth in my 04 and the only downside is she lost a screw in in the morass of cables and electronics in the head unit).

You don't need the mic attached since this integrates into your car's controls...so HFL still works...the only thing it says in instruction is that incoming calls while navi is on, you must press the XM button since it won't mute the navigation. The Bluetooth music sounds awesome...but unlike most kits, this one is fully integrated into the existing controls and you don't have to plug or unplug anything every time. It also displays artist/graphics, etc. on the navi screen when turned to audio.

-Jeremy

2004 MDX Touring Forest Green
2008 MDX Elite Smoky Grey
thegazelle is offline  
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-07-2017, 03:28 PM
Registered User
 
Priscillababy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Michigan
Posts: 1,027
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegazelle View Post
Just so you know...my nine-year-old daughter installed this. Take out the trunk floor door (2 hinges), remove the underpad container piece, XM tuner is on the rear right side. Unplug the big plug. Plug that into the Y cable and then plug the other part of the Y cable into the XM tuner. She did it in like 5-8 minutes. She also did the bluetooth in my 04, which is far more difficult as it requires taking out the head unit but she did it anyway...and she is nine (it took her about 40 minutes to do the bluetooth in my 04 and the only downside is she lost a screw in in the morass of cables and electronics in the head unit).

You don't need the mic attached since this integrates into your car's controls...so HFL still works...the only thing it says in instruction is that incoming calls while navi is on, you must press the XM button since it won't mute the navigation. The Bluetooth music sounds awesome...but unlike most kits, this one is fully integrated into the existing controls and you don't have to plug or unplug anything every time. It also displays artist/graphics, etc. on the navi screen when turned to audio.
Thank you Mr. thegazelle

I have about 2000 or more MP3's on my computer's hard drive, just need to find a bluetooth device for which I can transfer these songs over to with the intent of streaming them to the same bluetooth module that your daughter has installed herself- which I may be installing into my 2009 MDX very soon.

2009 MDX
Tech Pkg
Bali Blue Pearl
Priscillababy is offline  
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-07-2017, 04:45 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Greater Toronto Area, Canada
Posts: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Priscillababy View Post
Thank you Mr. thegazelle

I have about 2000 or more MP3's on my computer's hard drive, just need to find a bluetooth device for which I can transfer these songs over to with the intent of streaming them to the same bluetooth module that your daughter has installed herself- which I may be installing into my 2009 MDX very soon.
My MP3 collection (made from the thousands of CDs I collected over the years, which is still sitting in my basement) I transferred onto my iPhone and use that as my Bluetooth player. Only downside is that unlike purchased stuff via iTunes, homemade recorded MP3s from CDs do not show up with any artwork but we listen to the music, not watch the screen.

On a break today, I took a colleague outside who wanted to check out my MDX. We put on some cheesy dance/euro beats stuff and he said that the sound quality on the MDX is phenomenal. I thought my 04 MDX had a good sound system with the Bose one but this one is even better.

Definitely get that adapter if you can. Totally worth it. Unlike my 04 bluetooth adapter, which does not integrate the car's controls (I have to handle the iPhone to go to next song, etc.), the US Spec one for my 08 MDX does, so I can use my steering wheel, buttons, wheel, whatever to advance and rewind (such a cassette term - I am old) the songs.

-Jeremy

2004 MDX Touring Forest Green
2008 MDX Elite Smoky Grey
thegazelle is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome