Dead Battery Issues... - Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-07-2017, 11:10 AM Thread Starter

Dead Battery Issues...

2009 MDX Tech Package
115K Miles

I've done some digging and the biggest culprit appears to be the HFL likely draining the battery. I replaced the battery after a few separate occasions of the car not starting after sitting for more then 48 hours, the battery did test bad fwiw. The new battery is essentially doing worse than the old failing battery; like clockwork it's dead in 48 hours, but fine if the car is driven daily. I've had the new battery load tested twice and it passed.
Does this look like a telltale HFL issue?? I will do some testing tonight to confirm but since many of the posts I've read are pretty old I wanted to see if there are any new tips/tricks/feedback on the issue. If it turns out to be the problem, I really want to know if new units have been specifically spared from this problem or is that just an assumption?
Thanks for any info.
Mark

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-07-2017, 12:44 PM

Does your HandsFreeLink currently work at all?

Pull open the rear centre console, unplug the harness going to the HFL unit and see.

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-07-2017, 01:12 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM_CL9 View Post
Does your HandsFreeLink currently work at all?
To be 100% honest I'm not sure if it's working currently. It's my wifes car and she never uses it; she goes through cell phones like crazy so I have even attempted to pair a phone with it in a long time. That being said if it's causing the battery issues I don't mind unplugging it but I'm picky about stuff working hence my question as to the new ones actually not having the preexisting issue.
Thanks a lot for the reply.
Mark

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-08-2017, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_H View Post
To be 100% honest I'm not sure if it's working currently. It's my wifes car and she never uses it; she goes through cell phones like crazy so I have even attempted to pair a phone with it in a long time. That being said if it's causing the battery issues I don't mind unplugging it but I'm picky about stuff working hence my question as to the new ones actually not having the preexisting issue.
Thanks a lot for the reply.
Mark
You mean replacing the HFL unit with a brand new unit? Should be fine but they're a bit expensive (especially if you live in Canada).

I think best bet is try to pair a phone and see if it even works, that'll tell you if the unit is dead or not.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-11-2017, 03:24 PM

Dealer can do a parasite test. I got ours tested and they said the HFL was drawing power and disconnected it. However battery is still draining after couple days of not driving. For your situation you can get it tested or just disconnect the unit since your wife doesn't use it.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-16-2017, 08:31 PM

I too am having battery drain issue on 2011 TECH PKG... Mine is a very slow drain - only after being parked for a week or 2 does the "BATTERY CHARGE LOW" Icon flash and audibly beeps at me.. After a couple good longer drives I guess the battery recharges and the process repeats when parked for while - I have 2 cars and drive my turbo diesel quite often to save on gas so this battery drainage issue has been ongoing for some time now.. I have yet to be stranded any where with a dead battery but I'm sure she'll go dead within a month of not driving it..
The majority of posted battery drain issues seem to be draining batteries dead within a few short days - mine is really slow...
I performed the parasitic battery drain test with a volt/amp meter for a full 24 hours and nothing seems to be wrong - reading .04 amps draw.
How ever I read some where that the act of disconnecting battery in order to perform test with amp meter some how can reset the HFL module and it will perform as it should again for a while ... until it acts up again...
Im puzzled as why this HFL module can even use so much power considering the blue tooth in phones are ultra low power consumption...

Last edited by zoophaugus; 03-16-2017 at 08:32 PM. Reason: added year and trip package
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoophaugus View Post
Im puzzled as why this HFL module can even use so much power considering the blue tooth in phones are ultra low power consumption...
POOR design....the biggest flaw/design/cheap parts shortcoming in the 2nd gen (circa '07-'13 MDX) MDX in my honest opinion....

in retrospect, it could have been worse, the biggest design/flaw in the 3rd gen MDX, is the entire 3rd generation MDX blueprint itself IMHO!!!! that is one big, ugly, overpriced Chrysler/KIA-like, confused soccer mom looking vehicle of a mess!!!!!

in summary, just pull out the HFL module on your 2nd gen. MDX and do without the darned bluetooth- you'll be much happier in the long run!!!!

2009 MDX
Tech Pkg
Bali Blue Pearl
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Priscillababy View Post
POOR design....the biggest flaw/design/cheap parts shortcoming in the 2nd gen (circa '07-'13 MDX) MDX in my honest opinion....

in retrospect, it could have been worse, the biggest design/flaw in the 3rd gen MDX, is the entire 3rd generation MDX blueprint itself IMHO!!!! that is one big, ugly, overpriced Chrysler/KIA-like, confused soccer mom looking vehicle of a mess!!!!!

in summary, just pull out the HFL module on your 2nd gen. MDX and do without the darned bluetooth- you'll be much happier in the long run!!!!
I love my blue tooth and I NEED my Bluetooth - Its a $500 fine for using a hand held where I live.. Not only that I have cancelled my XM Radio subscription in favor of Tidal streaming and constantly play music through the stereo via the blue tooth connection...

And yes your correct the 3rd gen MDX is a little sassy for me... might be that there trying to cater for the sheer number of women that drive those cars... at least where I live, from what I've noticed...
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 11:00 PM

MDX = Babe Magnet

2014 SH-AWD Tech
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2005 Premium
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluepill View Post
MDX = Babe Magnet

2007-2013 MDX
= Babe Magnet

2014-2016 MDX = Suburban Soccer Mom/old geezer Magnet

2009 MDX
Tech Pkg
Bali Blue Pearl
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-22-2017, 01:13 PM

Garage
Priscillababy,
You kill me. LOL

zoophaugus,
Unfortunately for us in "ONTARIO" it is not a cheap fix.

Even to find the newer version on line it will still cost you a pretty nickle.

I have pulled mine out and will eventually attempt the temporary fix.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: