Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

2008 Sport "Tailgate Open"

7K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  Super_MR2 
#1 ·
Hi All, I've seen this issue alluded to but can't seem to find where someone actually resolved the problem. Anyway, my 2008 Base model has been experiencing false alarms. I thought it was the hood sensor, so I unplugged it and believed that it was the cause. Yesterday, while driving, my interior lights came on, chime occurred, and the Liftgate Open message appeared. It is happening frequently while driving and is very annoying. I opened/closed the tailgate multiple times with no success. Is there a way to unplug the sensor as I did with the hood? Other things to look for/replace? Thanks in advance.

#2 ·
The reason the false alarms went away is because you no longer have an Alarm..
When you unplugged the Hood sensor you removed a ground from the system, thus the Alarm will never Arm again until you plug it back.

Seems the reason your alarm was setting off is because the Tailgate Latch ground is malfunctioning.. That ground is also needed for the alarm, and it seems to be the root of your problems.

#5 ·
HI, long time reader, first time poster. This just happened to my wife’s 2008 entertainment mdx. We’re out having dinner and here the alarm going off. Unlocked the car to disable the alarm but then thr light turn on and the tail gate light goes off as I’m driving. Get home and thr alarm goes off again, this time I notice I can’t lock the car with the key fob. I decided to disconnect the battery until I can come up with a solution. Didn’t replacing the latch do the trick?

#9 ·
My situation was intermittent. The way I finally figured it out was that driving down the road, the Tailgate Open was popping up but it go away too fast to actually read it. The interior lights were also going on. It took awhile to get the last part because at the time, I was not driving at night much. Good Luck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.