Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

Oil leak help!!

19K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  pigeonfood11 
#1 ·
Last week I noticed this burning smell coming through my vents we hen at idle after figuring it out I noticed that the bottom of my oil pan had oil all over it and assumed it was a oil plug leak. After replacing oil plug and washer whilst replacing oil and filter (due for oil change) I drove it around for a bit and noticed any leaks so I figured everything was in the clear.
Well today I checked oil pan randomly and it's leaking again with oil on the bottom of my oil pan like before. Wtf.
Before I thought maybe I used the wrong drain plug washer when i did my last oil change but Idk how or why it's leaking if I'm using part#94109-140-00.

I use all 5 qts of mobil oil (I know it says 4.5 qt)
Can someone verify part# and size of washer?
Am I torqueing to much, I do 25lbs torque?

Kinda freaking out![emoji51]

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

#2 ·
That is the correct part number for the drain plug washer (14 mm). Acura spec is 33 ft-lb torque for oil drain plug. Do you see where the oil is originating from that it covers the bottom of your oil pan? If it looks like it is coming from the drain plug then perhaps you have it cross threaded?

#7 ·
Several possibilities. All require careful cleaning and inspection;

1) Valve cover gaskets age, harden, and begin to leak. Not a terrible job, but rear cover is hard to reach.

2) Crankshaft end seals. Only pax side engine seal is accessible w/o major surgery. Driver's side requires removing transmission, and much more.

3) oil pump cover gasket. Requires timing belt and oil pan removal; a big job.

4) Oil filter/Vtec cover fitting is readily accessible and a common leak site.

5) oil pan leak is not common but certainly possible.

Oil on oil pan is more likely from valve cover gaskets but could be oil pan itself. Careful not to strip oil drain plug. Not likely source of your oil since you have a sealing washer.

good luck

#9 ·
Several possibilities. All require careful cleaning and inspection;

1) Valve cover gaskets age, harden, and begin to leak. Not a terrible job, but rear cover is hard to reach.

2) Crankshaft end seals. Only pax side engine seal is accessible w/o major surgery. Driver's side requires removing transmission, and much more.

3) oil pump cover gasket. Requires timing belt and oil pan removal; a big job.

4) Oil filter/Vtec cover fitting is readily accessible and a common leak site.

5) oil pan leak is not common but certainly possible.

Oil on oil pan is more likely from valve cover gaskets but could be oil pan itself. Careful not to strip oil drain plug. Not likely source of your oil since you have a sealing washer.

good luck
My 2008 developed a relatively large leak on the crankshaft end seal at the driver/transmission side. I was lucky it happened while the vehicle was under Acura warranty. If the plastic splash guard under the transmission is wetted by oil, then your seal is going bad. That is a major repair. Good luck and let us know.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.