StrongArm Hood Struts Mini-Review - Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-04-2017, 06:33 PM Thread Starter

StrongArm Hood Struts Mini-Review

Hello Folks!

A couple of months ago I bought a couple of StrongArm Hood Struts for 40 bucks Shipped (https://www.amazon.com/StrongArm-Sup...ds=Hood+Struts) it was hard to pass on Vs the OEM. Sadly there wasn't any real pictures in the Amazon Review section so I was a little hesitant.

Well package arrives well packaged with plenty of cushion foam, There are 2 large bags with the Struts Inside.. Packaging is minimal with only a bag to cover but its pretty nice quality material (Strong Plastic) and its full of StrongArm Logos.
I pull them out and Man! The quality is Superb! There are no Rough Edges or shady paint work! Piston looks polished to hell with a mirror like chrome finish. So I install them which is a pretty straight forward job.. There isn't much to say here they work and they work GOOD with stupid amount of force but very well dampened so they don't make your hood shoot up with no control.

Pictures Installed:

Perhaps you already noticed the best FEATURE of these Hood Struts? Ohhh yeah Baby they are correctly installed Upside Down!!! These Struts comes with a Reversed O-Ball Joint! Instead of having the bent end on the Strut Shaft its directly located on the Strut Piston! Which allows them to be installed in the best position Upside Down which has lots of advantages over the Shaft Up Position which is the OEM Setup.. This allows the Strut to have a dampening stage in the Hood movement which slows it down before stopping at the end travel! The end result is amazing! Hoods pops up and mechanically slows down into position!.

I recommend these Struts to anybody looking for an Upgrade or Replacement! Best 40 bucks spent so far in my X!!!

mrgold35 likes this.

2G MDX Tech & Entert // Sport Running Board // F&R Fender Garnish // Wheel Locks // K&N Filter making a billion horsepower...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-04-2017, 06:45 PM Thread Starter

I have to say, You can install the OEM Struts upside down but because of the straight O-Ball End in the Shock Piston the Hood does not open all they way up.. It binds the Ball into the straight end O-Ball Socket and makes it open 80% of the way. These StrongArm Struts eliminate that problem by having the Bent End in the Shock Piston which allows the Ball in the Hood to clear it nicely and open 100%.

Also they are Made in the GoodŽOld US of A!

2G MDX Tech & Entert // Sport Running Board // F&R Fender Garnish // Wheel Locks // K&N Filter making a billion horsepower...
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-05-2017, 10:02 AM

I've had very good experiences with strong arm products in the past.

Funny thing you should mention it as the OEM units do not seem to work that well in extreme cold(0 degrees). Could be a combination of them being worn, inferior oils/seals but all I know is the OEM units work perfect in warmer climates consistently.

May have to replace with these.

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-05-2017, 04:46 PM Thread Starter

My hood struts were completely shot by the winter so I could not test that...
What I have been noticing is that the rear tailgate is a little bit slower to open than before, Probably the struts are starting to weaken, StrongArm does not seem to have a suitable replacement for Power Tailgate just for the Manually Released Tailgate even then the Reviews are a Mixed Bag... Perhaps is wiser to keep the STABILUS OEM for the Rear Tailgate after all.

post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 11:05 AM

Nice write up. What engine cover is that? I assume mine is original, but doesn't look like that... or maybe it changed between model years? I've got a 2010.

My engine bay is pristine, except for some dirt stains on the engine cover from previous owner. I did look up the part awhile back, but was at some price near $100 IIRC so not worth it.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-27-2017, 08:38 PM

Do the strong arm rear hatch shocks from the 1st gen MDX fit the 2nd gen?

The 1st gen mdx strong arm part number is 4561, but no listing for 2nd gen.

The oem numbers are:

2004 both = 74820-s3v-a02
2007 right = 74820-stx-a11
2007 left = 74870-stx-a11

So, I don't think they will fit.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-27-2017, 09:39 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by delirium330 View Post
Nice write up. What engine cover is that? I assume mine is original, but doesn't look like that... or maybe it changed between model years? I've got a 2010.

My engine bay is pristine, except for some dirt stains on the engine cover from previous owner. I did look up the part awhile back, but was at some price near $100 IIRC so not worth it.

That cover was used from 2007 to 2009, In 2010 to 2013 they used the Engine Cover that has lots of Silver on top but I believe they are interchangeable between the 2 so if you like my cover you can buy it from a used MDX and its a plug and play affair

post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-27-2017, 09:43 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpayment4life View Post
Do the strong arm rear hatch shocks from the 1st gen MDX fit the 2nd gen?

The 1st gen mdx strong arm part number is 4561, but no listing for 2nd gen.

The oem numbers are:

2004 both = 74820-s3v-a02
2007 right = 74820-stx-a11
2007 left = 74870-stx-a11

So, I don't think they will fit.

EDIT: Just noted you are talking about the Rears...
I sincerely do not know since I have the Power Tailgate StrongArm do not have a compatible strut because it is a different SKU for the Power Tailgate and the Non-Power Tailgate.

post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 02:05 PM

I recently replaced my hood struts with a basic aftermarket set from Ebay. The ball joints on the ends of the strut unscrew, so I could flip them around and mount them upside down without them binding. I'll have to give that a try. Nice write up!

2007 MDX Base
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 02:52 PM

oh CRAP- I knew that even something as simple as this job would NOT be immune from a potential screw by me!!!!!

I think I inadvertently installed these (yesterday) upside down in comparison to Skirmich's install (or in the 'Shaft Up' position as he refers to it- the fatter end is on the bottom while the skinnier end is presently connected to my MDX's hood on top- the complete opposite of Mr. Skirmich's pic below)....it still seems to work though?!!!!...

I wonder if attempting to reverse them will be a PITA....

2009 MDX
Tech Pkg
Bali Blue Pearl
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 04:31 PM Thread Starter

You should reverse them, the reverse setup is how these struts were designed to work the best and the whole idea to get them.

To the previous comment:
Reversing the tips on normal struts can cause leaks because they are not designed to work that way, When my OEM struts were failing I decided to turn them over just for kicks and they were shot by the second day as they leaked all the oil.
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skirmich View Post
You should reverse them, the reverse setup is how these struts were designed to work the best and the whole idea to get them.

To the previous comment:
Reversing the tips on normal struts can cause leaks because they are not designed to work that way, When my OEM struts were failing I decided to turn them over just for kicks and they were shot by the second day as they leaked all the oil.
thanks- immediately after my last post, I took the hospital elevator (work) straight down to the employee parking lot (still attired in semi-full surgical scrubs LOL)- and spent about 30 minutes reversing them- was bit more challenging this time around as one of the metal fasteners on the fat end of one of the struts had popped off during the removal process and I had spent a good amount of time, force (and one broken nail) to will it back on the strut to help secure it to the MDX's hood attachment piece- finally the fat ends of these struts are on the top (the way this product was designed to be installed on this particular vehicle!!!)- I was able to immediately notice how much farther the hood seems to open up (in comparison to the overall opening extension that had been facilitated by the reversed/mistaken positioned struts)...also it opens up in a very smooth, wide open manner once you manually pop the hood open...all in all it was worth it (sorry work for paying me while I was tinkering with my car!!!) to take the time to reverse these to mimic your setup!

2009 MDX
Tech Pkg
Bali Blue Pearl
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 08:53 PM

Now I wish my oem hood struts were shot.

Do the strong arms, open the hood any higher?
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex1 View Post
Now I wish my oem hood struts were shot.

Do the strong arms, open the hood any higher?
Maybe it's just me- but I do feel that the Strong Arms allow the hood to go up slightly higher in comparison to the OEM struts that I had ripped out...

2009 MDX
Tech Pkg
Bali Blue Pearl
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 09:45 PM Thread Starter

Congrats on finishing the install! now you can open the hood half way and release it and marvel at the joys of reversed strut setup.

Apex1
They are the same height as OEM, the upgrade is on being able to install them upside down.
If you install them the wrong way the angled O-Ball socket will bind and shorten the height about 2-3 inches or so.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: