Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

Help..Multiple Codes Showing...is it safe to drive?

2K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  khayes9999 
#1 ·
My wife started up her '12 MDX this evening and 3 codes showed:
Check Emmisions System
Check VSA
Check Trailer Stability Assist

Anyone have this problem before? Is it safe for my wife to drive?
The Acura dealership cannot get it in until next Tuesday so any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

#2 ·
You have THREE options sir-

Option ONE- if you're mechanically inclined, then by all means research this MB and conduct the necessary searches (search button is your amigo :1: ) as needed to perform/check upon whatever maintenance may be required on your 2nd gen. MDX.

Option TWO- get ready to dig deep into your pockets as you'll need to be financially (and psychologically) prepared for the potentially severe monetary damage that can be inflicted upon your wallet (while simultaneously/unexpectedly decimating your present Christmas gift list objectives for this year) at the hands of the almighty Acura Stealership service department (post diagnosis)?! ;)

Option THREE (preferred, but not recommended)- roll the dice while continuing to allow your wife to drive her (likely problem plagued) MDX, paying no mind to the colorful display of lights while instead finding true value & appreciation in the varying tones of lumination gracing her dashboard....

#3 ·
Back with your "stealership" act again? Even double-downed with large bold font? Dealerships can be a good option for someone lacking tools, skill and knowledge to do their own work. I would say the term "stealerships" more aptly applies to most medical facilities and so-called professionals.

#4 ·
For a problem or situation like yours I would say to take it to the dealership. Some dealerships are bad and will cause "severe monetary damage" but others are good. I have had one too many bad experiences with these smaller repair shops and now I only go to my dealership. I've built up a relationship with them and as long as you know what you're talking about you should be fine.

I've never had this problem before so I can't really answer your other question. I personally think its probably something minor. If the car is driving just like it used to then its maybe just a fuse or switch or something?

#6 ·
A very valid point- not all dealerships are stealerships...(likely most of them are....)

I've visited plenty of bad service Acura advisors, in particular a Robert 'S.' of a certain mid-west, big city Acura service department who somehow managed to SUCKA me out of about $10K in unnecessary repairs on my 2nd gen MDX over the course of about 6 months- every time I had my car in for service with this chump, a new problem requiring more expensive service would always mysteriously surface out of no where for which Robert S. was quick to recommend a random, particular, for no good reason, expensive service procedure/fix- I then started taking my '09 MDX to a more reputable stealership whose advisors were confused in as to the need for some of the recent maintenance performed on my car (as had been highly recommended by 'Robert S.')- I had essentially, single handedly paid this bastard's salary/groceries for about a year before I finally stopped being his personal SUCKA...word. :frown2:

needless to say, this bum (Robert S.) no longer works as a service advisor at the Acura stealership that I had frequented...he's probably running his gig now at a local Kia/Chevy dealership...

#8 ·
Meanwhile, back on topic..............

Different years/models of Honda & Acura will light multiple warnings for simple faults. Go to any parts store that reads codes for free and post up the findings here. DO NOT LET THEM SELL YOU ANYTHING AND DO NOT LET THEM RESET THE CODES.

#11 ·
Service "advisers" job is to bring in as many jobs into the dealership as possible. Their bonuses and raises are dictated by the volume amongst other things. Period. This is reality no matter how you slice it.

They often prey on females, elderly, and uninformed or gullible people. Now the ones with a semi-conscience will try to front load jobs that have a warranty on them as to minimize damage to the consumer while still getting paid. However, when these dry up or other "opportunities" present themselves, that's when some of these consumers can get taken.

Obviously if you're a 30+ yo avg white male that dresses decent and speaks elegantly, there's a less chance the service advisor will want to take advantage of you.

One thing I always recommend is to arm yourself with basic knowledge and convey it so the service advisor will know you know at least some stuff to be dangerous. These forums are great to look up issues and logically come up with a couple potential fixes. It doesn't mean you have to do the work but you can make up an excuse to the service advisor like: "I think it's such and such causing it but I don't have time due to s heavy workload" or something like that.

Just don't sound insulting and try to argue or debate something "you read on the Internet" so therefore you're automatically an expert without having even picked up any wrenches.

But back to the OP, you'll be fine. Just drive careful in snow or rain as you might only have fwd temporarily if it's one of the sensors. It could be a weak battery as well.

#12 ·
Very well said....;)

On a related note, I'll soon be seeing a 'reputable' (to be determined) dealership sometime within the next two weeks to have some basic maintenance done- I'm going to dress like a bum (perhaps keep a silicone butt plug in my purse for easy access?) and hope that my MDX comes out of the shop with ONLY the basic maintenance that I'm intending to go into the dealership/stealership for.....to be continued...

#13 ·
Thanks for responses. Took to dealer and seemed to be an issue from driving in snow/slush. They found nothing when they ran tests.... didn't charge me and even bought us tickets to see a movie while we waited. I would not consider this dealer a "stealership" but I know others who are.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.