Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

Backup Camera Replacement?

10K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  mrgold35 
#1 ·
2nd Gen owners know the backup cam on their vehicles is a disaster - grainy & hard to read under any circumstances. (Heck, even my wife's Honda Fit has a better camera.) Many threads have been posted on adding rear lighting to "see" better, with uneven results.

From my driving MDX loaners from my dealer, I've found out that the backup cams in the 3d Gen vehicles are much better than the ones in ours. So, rather than focusing on better lighting improve a bad situation, I was wondering whether it would be possible to just retrofit my 2nd Gen 2009 MDX with the improved 3d Gen camera. Any thoughts?

#2 ·
I had a 16 MDX tech loaner for a few days when my 11 MDX was in the shop replacing the driver side seat heater a few weeks ago. The 16 MDX back-up cam was an improvement; but, the Navi screen wasn't as crisp and vibrant as the larger 10-13 MDX navi screen. I think the screen size/resolution of the +14 MDX might be similar to the 07-09 MDX Navi screen. The back up image on the 16 MDX was like when you watch a High definition show on a standard definition channel (a little grainy, fuzzy around the edges, and lack of fine detail).

It is hard to say if the 3rd Gen MDX might have a slight improvement in Navi screen resolution and rear lighting for the improved back-up cam image instead of it being just the camera? I think a aftermarket solution would be an improvement at a cheaper price. Unfortunately, I think you would loose the multi-view feature (trailer hitch, normal, wide), guide-lines, and brightness control.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.