Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

Sirus Satallite Radio Reception

7K views 24 replies 13 participants last post by  mdxlife 
#1 ·
2009 MDX - Recently the satellite radio had been cutting in and out. What is more interesting is that is cuts out in specific areas all the time. Highway and other areas with no obstructions. Possible interference? I have tried resetting the radio mutliple times with no success.

Thanks
LanceSGM

#2 ·
Same issues in Albuquerque. Only happens in my 08 RDX tech (my daily driver) and not at all in my 11 MDX Adv. It can cut in/out 3-4 times a minute on any channel sometimes in my RDX at random times during my 20 mile roundtrip work commute. I just figured it was my XM radio system starting to crap out because it didn't happen in the MDX at all. I imagine my RDX and the 07-09 MDX might have the same XM equipment.

The last time reception was this poor with in/out reception was about 4-5 years ago when XM had an issue with a faulty satellite. The other overlapping satellite signals weren't strong enough at certain angles to keep the signal from cutting out. I haven't searched to see if the XM issue is widespread with all manufacturers or just us XM Acura types with equipment of a certain age?

#5 ·
Maybe check for connection or corrosion issues to the Sirius antenna.

I've driven mine on several road trips and it's never cut out on me ever.

#6 ·
The same EXACT thing, around the same EXACT time has been happening to me on my 2009 MDX- has to be a quality control issue- didn't know that MDX satellite radio components would start crapping out after approximately 6-7 years- I can only wonder what kind of cheap components the 2nd gen. Acura MDX engineers may have used (to cut costs down) which may potentially be related to this dying XM Radio signal problem?! :mad:

With the MDX being my daily driver, and now having simultaneously owned a Mercedes SUV and an Audi sedan for the past two years as my two other cars, I can once again say that Acura just isn't ready to play with the Big Boys yet!!!

#8 ·
I wouldn't know how to double-check my XM components on my 08 RDX? I would be nice to have website to double-check XM signal strength in your area like you can with over the air HD TV channels. I don't want to start changing out parts if the XM signal is the problem.

#9 ·
Took my RDX out of town to Santa Fe (about 70 miles away) for a day trip. The entire time outside Albuquerque city limits the XM radio had zero issues going in/out. It start crapping out again once I got back within Albuquerque city limits. I think XM sometimes uses local transmitters for the larger cities because building can get into the way of a clear signal. I don't know which cities rely on local XM radio towers. No sure if that is the cause of my issue.

#10 ·
my 08 has been having the exact same issues for the past couple of weeks seems to cut out in the same spots all the time never had issues before this i think the fault is on there end, this service is overpriced anyways in my opinion $230.00 a year and i maybe listen to 6 different channels just like cable tv forced to buy several hundred channels and only watch a few what a ripp

#11 ·
My XM is due for renewal in Jan/14 for my MDX. They are offering XM, Traffic, and Weather for the low low price of $974.04 for 3 years. XM made sense pre-2006 before wide spread use of smart phones, high speed 4G/LTE, and 30GB monthly data plans.

I just upgraded to iPhone 6S Plus and I can tether mine or the wife's iPhone to our iPad for internet for 30GB monthly data. I'm about 99% leaning toward kicking XM to the curb.

#14 ·

XM made sense pre-2006 before wide spread use of smart phones, high speed 4G/LTE, and 30GB monthly data plans.

I just upgraded to iPhone 6S Plus and I can tether mine or the wife's iPhone to our iPad for internet for 30GB monthly data. .
Exactly.

Lucky for me, mine already came with a lifetime XM subscription when I bought it.

As for tethering, I'm lucky on that front as T-Mobile offered me $5/mo tablet rate which includes unlimited streaming music/video that doesn't count towards your data.

It's hard to go back once you start getting accustomed to listening to services like Pandora and Spotify IMO.

#12 ·
I've had xm for three years in my other car and I've never paid more than 105/year for the xm music package. You have to negotiate with them and threaten cancelling and ask for about that price and they will give it to you.

The most I would pay is 125 per year but ive never paid more than 105. I think it's worth it for a variety in music. 230 is absurd

#13 ·
^ Same boat... How the hell one pays 230 for a year on the basic music package?
My service coverture has been great all the way to Los Cabos, BCS!!

#16 ·
I'm having reception issues too. I did a quick google & we're not alone. Seems like there are quite a few pissed customers out there. I would suggest having your radio receive a refresh signal. It's similar to a reboot. 10 years as a customer & I only did it once & it worked. Just sign into your account & send it or call them & they will send it. Good Luck.

#17 ·
Just saw this thread... Having the same issue here in Las Vegas. I doubt it's a radio issue and more than likely a sat issue as it affects both my MDX and my Lexus. =(

#18 ·
No updates to date. The issue seems to have changed a bit as it is getting worse in some spots and better in other spots. Anyone aware of how to test signal strength. When traveling by the foothills (west of Denver) I am getting a no signal error, but when traveling downtown the service just goes out.

Anyone here from Denver by chance?

#19 ·
I just went ahead and dropped XM on my TSX and RDX. I downgraded my XM down to basic channel line-up and also deleted Traffic and weather on my MDX. Basic XM still has most of the channels I listen to on the road when traveling between cities in the southwest. The signal loss was just going from occasional, frequently at 2-4 times a minute, and eventually to cutting out for minutes at a time over the last few months in my RDX.

Not sure how XM can stay in business much longer with poor reception and the high cost for subscriptions?

#20 ·
Not sure how XM can stay in business much longer with poor reception and the high cost for subscriptions?
Yeah if it wasn't for niche radio personality and programming like Howard Stern and such, I'm sure they would've been out by now.

I find Spotify not only has one of the best selections but also has offline mode that allows you to store songs locally for those times when you are out of reception area(s) when traveling.

#21 ·
Just started having issues on my 08 MDX a few months ago and it seems to be worse now than it was two months ago. At times it will drop for 30 seconds or more. Really annoying when driving with the family and everyone is into a song. I thought it was the MDX but looking on here it seems like it might be sirius/XM. They're going to start losing customers if this doesn't change.

#22 ·
Well I just refreshed my signal today with a 1 year subscription of all channels for 60 bucks...
Again, No issues with reception here in So Cali or México.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.