Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

Creating List: Top 10 Common MDX Problems?

14K views 18 replies 15 participants last post by  thegazelle 
#1 ·
Hello,

I'm trying to put together a short list of the top 10 common problems that someone could look for when buying a Gen 1, Gen 2 and Gen 3 MDX.

What would you say are the top 10 common MDX Specific problems to look for? Thanks for the help.

#2 ·
Some suggestions for Gen2- since they can both be expensive to fix and seem to be common (mine had both issues)

1. Bluetooth module failure
2. One or more HVAC servos not functioning

#3 ·
From all I´ve Read... BUT they don´t seem to affect 100% of the 2G MDX they just pop off.

Serious issues/expensive or hard to DIY:
1.- Heavy Oil Consumption (Affects mainly 10-13 models) Requires new Engine Block, Covered by Warranty.

Not so Serious Issues/Inexpensive to fix or DIY:
1.- HFL Failure (Bluetooth, Seems to affect 07-11 models) - Simply disconnect HFL Unit
2.- A/C Relay Failure (07-09 models) - Replace with an Upgraded Relay
3.- Drivers Door sub Harness (Can affect 07-09 models) - Replace, easy to DIY.
4.- Radio getting CDs Stuck (All years) - You lost that CD get over it
5.- Windshield Crack from Physical Stress = Bad Installation (07-09 Covered by Warranty)
6.- Possible front suspension Clunks and Noises (Depends on use) - ???

#5 ·
I figure we can add to the list and adjust the rankings later:

Serious issues/expensive or hard to DIY:
1.- Heavy Oil Consumption (Affects mainly 10-13 models) Requires new Engine Block, Covered by Warranty.
2.- Magnetic Struts/Shocks failures (07-09 Sport, 10-13 MDX Adv models), convert to reg shocks/struts or purchase Acura Care before 4/50k runs out
3.- Warped brake rotor feeling caused by uneven pad material x-fer (07-13 MDX), just replace OEM pad with aftermarket, can replace rotor if cheaper than turning

Not so Serious Issues/Inexpensive to fix or DIY:
1.- HFL Failure (Bluetooth, Seems to affect 07-11 models) - Simply disconnect HFL Unit
2.- A/C Relay Failure (07-09 models) - Replace with an Upgraded Relay
3.- Drivers Door sub Harness (Can affect 07-09 models) - Replace, easy to DIY.
4.- Radio getting CDs Stuck (All years) - You lost that CD get over it
5.- Windshield Crack from Physical Stress = Bad Installation (07-09 Covered by Warranty)
6.- Possible front suspension Clunks and Noises (Depends on use) - ???
7.- HIDs focus is too low
8.- 6AT reflash (10-11 MDX), applied to 12-13 MDX
9.- reflash of firmware to correct "check charging system" message (10-11 MDX), applied to 12-13 MDX
10.- 2nd row cup holder stuck (07-13 MDX), I added a pull strap
11.- OEM HIDs a little weak, replace with Morimoto XB35 4500k/5500k or OSRAM D2S 66240CBI
12.- OEM 100 month battery only good for 36-48 months on average (07-13 MDX, replace with anything other than OEM)
13.- Back-up lights and camera quality at night very poor (07-13 MDX), adding brighter LED back-up lights don't help, live with or add external lights
14.- The MDX can feel a little squirrely at 70-80 mph hwy speeds, 4 wheel alignment can improve hwy dynamics
15.- Whistling sound at +70 mph from front passenger side, replace passenger wiper with Aero type blade like Bosch 21B ICON Wiper Blade

#8 ·
I added 3M clear bra to my headlights and driving/fog lights back in 2014 and that helped prevent UV hazing. Because of the odd shaped headlight, 3M didn't cover some of the headlight (only the forward facing parts). The uncovered parts are hazed up pretty good; but, forward facing part is still clear.

#7 ·
300k + total miles here...no issues worth mentioning..some wear and tear, but that is expected..

#9 ·
Ok, I didn't see this yet. Key memory failure which is caused by faulty side view mirror motors.

#13 ·
^ Yup but in my front Passenger seat... Its very weird because all other seats feel flawless in the leather condition.. Passenger seat leather feels brittle and hard.

#14 ·
not sure if others experience this, but on my car, at certain speed while driving, it sounds like a loose plastic piece is flapping on the driver's door with the air passing by. sometimes it sounds like someone is jiggling the door handles, but I can't find what it is. if I roll down the window, the wind noise is too loud and I haven't found anyone else that can sit with me while i drive and they hunt for it.

#15 ·
Me got 2010 MDX......don't know if others experience these problems, but I will list mine.....85K

1. Replaced torque converter
2. Replaced Power Steering unit
3. Passenger outside mirror actuator, when in reverse
4. This is a very noisy vehicle (interior)
5. New Motor mounts.....all three mounts
6. No OIL consumption....GREAT at 85K...POSITIVE

I still love the X.....great car for the way I drive. I am saving $$$$$ for the big 105K expense, but has to be done.

#17 ·
Every Acura/Honda has a big 105,000 mile service due. This is routine maint that is not included in any standard or extended warranty. I can see the lifetime warranties coming into effect if they find a problem during inspection the warranty might cover. Prices vary from $750-$1500 on average and it usually includes; but, not limited to:

Spark Plugs Replacement
Timing Belt Replacement
Water Pump Replacement
Timing Belt Pulley Replacement
Timing Belt Tensioner Replacement
Change Oil and Filter
Change coolant
Rotate Tires
Replace power steering fluid (I added this one for my vehicles)
Valve Clearance Adjustment
Check Brake, Steering and Suspension System
Check Parking Brake System
Check All Hoses
Check All Fluids
Check Exhaust System
Check Axle Shaft
Check Drive Belts
Check Cooling System

I see a lot of Acura/Honda for sell right under 100,000 miles because owners don't want to pay for the service. Once the service is done, it is pretty much fluid changes and tire rotations for another 75k-100k (excluding any unexpected maint issues). I did the 105k on my TSX and RDX (+140k now on both) and my MDX has +96k and I'm will be ready for this service around fall.

#19 ·
My old colleague (2G, 2010) and me (2G, 2008) both had water coming into the vehicle - my leaks corroded the fusebox and screwed up my AWD relay. Culprit was the roof racks and solution is remove roofracks and silicone around bolt holes.

A number of people have had issues with the 1G (2001-2006) Navigation DVD drive dying and the console rebooting itself/hanging. Solution is to replace the drive

A few people I have read have AM radio reception with a lot of static - my Dad's still has this but I heard the solution is to reseat / replace AM antenna wiring under the headliner.

Hands free link and AC relay cause 2G battery drain. Solution is to replace HFL unit and AC relay

1G MDXes have the common Honda / Acura issue of rust around rear wheel wells. Problem caused by rubber / metal stripping coming loose and trapping water / salt / debris. Solution is to remove this strip (it at least will slow down the rust)

A few 1G MDX owners report failure of heated seat elements. Solution is to replace seat or element but it is not cheap

1G climate control unit fails - as a result, touchscreen for temp and fan mode/speed unavailable as well as outside temp not available. I know three people with 1G MDXes who have this. My Dad's makes it four.

And of course, premature failure of ADS shocks on 2G models with sport suspension. Solution is to replace shocks with new ADS if you deep pockets or install regular shocks with resistor.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.