Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

Looking to buy used

2K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  litespd 
#1 ·
Hey everyone, I'm new the the forums and new to Acura but my wife and I are looking at buying a used MDX so I thought I would look for some buying advise from the experts. I searched the forums and found some answers but really i'm looking for more comprehensive information since I'm completely new to Acura or Honda.

We are looking at MDXs in the 2007 to 2010 range with anywhere from 65,000 to 90,000 miles. Besides the usual used cars issues/ service history is there anything specific we should be aware of, typical issues, chronic problems or model gremlins. I really appreciate the advise from the community, we don't buy many cars as I do my best to keep ours running so this process is something I don't take lightly.

#2 ·
Be sure to do some research here, truedelta.com

I bought a 2005 MDX in 2010 with 82,000 miles, now at 180,000. The front motor mount broke, nothing else. I gave it to son and bought a 2010 with 71,000 miles based on my own experience, True Delta, and price. I took the 2010 to an Acura dealer for a full fluids change and bumper-to-bumper check; one issue, an oil level sensor switch, $150, covered by extended warranty from the original buyer. I already put 3,000 miles on it, flawless.

#3 ·
The MDX is divided between the 07-09 base/tech or the +10 MMC version. You can also get the 07-09 with the sport suspension with magnetic struts/shocks or add the OEM rear entertainment system.

The +10 has the new front/rear styling, 6AT, paddle shifters, minor updates to interior, and updated tech:
- harddrive navi,
- USB connection for iphone/flash drive music,
- harddrive to store music,
- updated navi with traffic/weather,
- easier phone integration with bluetooth address load,
- bluetooth audio

Acura added an Advance model with:
- magnetic shocks/struts for sport and comfort mode,
- blind spot monitoring (BSI),
- collision mitigation braking system (CMBS),
- active cruise control (ACC),
- seat belt pretensioners,
- 3 setting heated and cooled front seats,
- auto level headlights,
- 19" tires,
- larger front/rear stabilizer bars.

You can get and updated Ent system for the tech or Adv version and that will add heated 2nd row seats and 110v plug in center console. An ipad would be a better choice unless you really want/need the 2nd heated seats.

Depending on your styling choice and budget, I think the tech version is the sweet spot. I think there were zero changes for the base, tech, or adv version for the 10-13 MDX. I wouldn't recommend the 07-09 sport or +10 Adv unless it has an Acura Care extended warranty because of the magnetic shocks/struts OR have $$$ on hand so you can convert to reg shock/struts when they fail. Magnetic shocks/struts cost between $500-$900 per corner when they fail depending on 07-09 or +10 model year.

#4 ·
Thanks for the quick reply and the heads up about the sport package. I think we are leaning toward the Tech package at this point and have a couple we will be looking at later in the week. Anything specific I should look at on these cars when test driving?

#5 ·
The OEM battery can be weak and plan on changing if it still has one. The +10 MDX can use some engine oil, not sure how to check for that. Worn OEM tires and out of alignment can make the MDX feel a little squirrely on the hwy (freaking tank once you put new tire and alignment). HIDs are little dim and can point too far low. Backup camera and backup lights suck at night.

The 07-09 had an issue with bluetooth phone module causing a power draw and draining the battery and folks just disconnect instead of fixing.

Having the complete maint history is a big plus. I downloaded the owners manual from the Acura owner's web site to get familiar with the type of tech and features on the particular model I was going to check out.

#8 ·
Be advised, there is a major service due at 105,000 miles, which includes changing the timing belt, valve adjustment, and "tune up" (changing spark plugs). Different shops change different things at a timing belt change...the Acura dealer here changes the belt tensioner, but doesn't change the water pump, while a local independent that specializes in Acura/Honda changes the water pump, but not the tensioner. I had Acura do mine, but also had them change the water pump at the same time, along with the drive belt tensioner. That, along with a TSB for a squeak under the hood that I had set me back about $1000. To adjust the valves and change the spark plugs, they quoted me a price of about $800. So if you buy a vehicle that is coming up on 100,000 miles, you might want to keep that in mind when you are negotiating the price. If the vehicle has all of the service records, and it's already been done, so much the better for you, but if not, you know what's coming up. You will also want to change out all of the fluids...front and rear differential, transfer case, transmission, cooling system, brakes, etc. Given all of that, if you keep up on the maintenance, it should last you a good, long time. The MDX seems to hold it's value pretty well....I bought a used '10 MDX Tech/Entertainment last October, with 94,000 miles, for just under $20,000. I thought that was outrageous until I started looking around at what was available in my area and what it was going for...and suddenly, it wasn't so outrageous.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.