Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

ATF what is correct 2007 MDX sport

2K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  Alpine003 
#1 ·
I have been having some slight transmission/vibration and slight shift hesitation. In the manuel it says atf-z1 or if not available Dexron III. I am looking back at my 90K service and noticed the ATF fluid used is Dexron 6. Im kind of thinking that I did not have the problem before having the service that included replacing the transmission fluid. My wife drives the car and she tells me nothing. Do you think this could really be the cause? It is a very reputable Honda/Acura only shop.

#2 ·
ATF-Z1 was discontinued around 2011 the new OEM ATF is called "DW-1" which is available at any Honda and Acura Dealerships that is what your MDX uses now. Not Z1 but DW-1 you should make a notation on your Owners Manual.
I strongly advice you NOT TO USE AFTERMARKET ATF in our MDX.. Use only OEM. Switch it ASAP.

#3 ·
thank's skirmish for this advice..i used an aftermarket atf fluid in my 07 acura mdx, it's synthetic general use for multiple applications but it did say can be used in tranmission with z1 fluid. which is what my manual says..should i change to the upgrade application you mention?

#4 ·
the trans holds 9+ quarts of fluid and only 3-3.5 can be drained out and replaced! Only 30% of fluid is changed.

Go to your local honda dealer and you can buy a case (12 bottles) for under $90 and do a complete fluid change. You change the fluid 3 times with a few miles between fluid changes to mix the fluid.

#5 ·
I did all 9+ quarts at once using the transmission cooler line method.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.