Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

Few maintenance questions...

1K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Alpine003 
#1 ·
Hi guys, just purchased an '08 with 103k, tech, end, and power tailgate.

I'm looking to do one big round of maintenance before I start driving it . I'm looking to do Timing belt, water pump, plugs, fluids(tcase, tranny, diff etc..)

First off, should I go with OEM belt and water pump? Or are there any 3rd party manufacturers that have good quality you guys could recommend?

For fluids, are there any specific proprietary fluids or should I just go with whatever standard fluid spec for each? Any suggestions on specific fluids brands or to avoid?

Am I missing anything else? If anyone can recommend a good website to buy most of these stuff let me know. Thanks!

#2 ·
Go with the AISIN KIT TKH-002 Amazon.com: Aisin TKH-002 Engine Timing Belt Kit with Water Pump: Automotive
But get the OEM Belt Instead! Everything else is OEM, Koyo Bearings, Water Pump and Hydro Tensioner.. The included belt is the only thing not OEM as its made by Mitsuboshi which is not OEM for these years. OEM Belt is GATES and its made in japan.
Need 3 Gallons of Antifreeze use Honda Type 2 OEM.

For extras:
Replace the A/C Belt and Tensioner if its noisy < You can use GATES Aftermarket for both of these items.
You might want to get the Camshafts and Crankshaft OEM oil seals < This is recommended and cheap if you are planning keeping the car for the long run
Since you have to drain the Antifreeze to do the water pump you might want to replace the Thermostat too use only OEM 2 Stage T-Stat.

#4 ·
Please research forum on fluids been talked gazilion times. There are no shocks up front it is struts and not much of option on those(monroe KYB or oem). Get the whole assembly with spring when replacing.

#5 ·
Trans is the most important so pay the extra and go with OEM fluid there. There are quite a few more options when it comes to diff/transfer case.

Another strut option is Gabrielle. Personally I would stick to OEM or KYB who produces shocks for OEM manufacturers like Honda/Acura.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.