Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

Towing with 2012 MDX

10K views 7 replies 8 participants last post by  bdhtxmdx 
#1 ·
Hi, I just purchased a travel Trailer 17' ft box, over all length 21.9 ft. Dry weight 3,405. Should I expect any difficulties. I'm in the 5,000 tow capacity limit. What towing equipment do I need to install to be safe: Hitch, brake controller, etc. Brand names would help. Total passanger weight 335 lbs including dog. Another 275 lbs in additional luggage and bikes. Total weight est. 4,000 lbs.

#3 ·
I have the OEM towing package and have no problems towing fully loaded UHaul 12 foot enclosed trailers. Gas mileage suffers though for obvious reasons.

#4 ·
I've towed over 7k lbs across country (on accident) with zero problems. How does one do that on accident you might ask? I rented a 12 ft Uhaul enclosed trailer, and packed it to the brim with household items when I moved. I assumed I was within the 5k lbs. It wasn't until I towed a 2100lb car transporter (with a 3700lb truck) on it, that I realized how much lighter that was compared to the uhaul I had previously towed. It could of even been over 8k lbs.

#5 ·
I've notice aerodynamic of the trailer also feels the same as having extra weight when towing at speed. You might have been under the 5000lbs but the uhaul trailer might offered more wind resistance at speed compared to the lower height truck/trailer. I was reading an article article in car/driver about a guy that upgraded his street version racing viper to the track version ACR viper with the huge rear wing. He saw a 15%-20% drop in his tow vehicle mpgs with the ACR viper because the huge wing created so much down force on the hwy. He was trying to figure out how he could cover the wing to at least get back to the solid double-digit mpgs.

#7 ·
Well, I too purchased a travel trailer last year of almost same specifications. You should fulfill your trailer requirements from the manual given there-in or can get in touch with some reputed trailer shipping contractors, for which you can check here, so that you could get the right technicalities considering weight of your trailer and also its bearing weight.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.