The new england storm of 2013.. how did your mdx do? - Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums
Register Home Forums Active Topics Auto Loans Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance
MDXers.org is the premier Acura MDX Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 02-14-2013, 10:59 PM   #1 (permalink)

The new england storm of 2013.. how did your mdx do?

I was dying to test out how my MDX would do in deep snow.. so after the storm passed, i didn't shovel and tried to get it out.. it was stuck in 3 feet of snow.. so I decided to try it again with VSC off, and voila, it got out no problem..I drove around the block (there was a driving ban in Massachusetts) I realized that VSC was quite intrusive when it came to deep snow.. The MDX is mostly driven by my wife.. I drive a Lincoln Aviator, with advance Trac.. tried that in the snow, and it was a beast.. I did not need to turn traction control off at all.. I even pushed cars that were stuck in the road.. overall.. I was quite happy with the MDX, and my Lincoln Aviator.. I just wish the VDC wasn't as intrusive..
khundkar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-14-2013, 11:29 PM   #2 (permalink)

Isn't the aviator a body on frame "real" SUV?

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
wrestrepo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2013, 06:13 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrestrepo View Post
Isn't the aviator a body on frame "real" SUV?
Yes it is.
- Roof Rails & Cross Bars
- LED Lighting Upgrade
- Tri-Fold Cargo Tray
1tufgt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2013, 06:20 AM   #4 (permalink)

I was also waiting for a snow storm to test the X out, overall it handled pretty well and very satisfied with it, we got about 32inches.
Old 02-15-2013, 09:26 AM   #5 (permalink)

[QUOTE=wrestrepo;530786]Isn't the aviator a body on frame "real" SUV?

While that could make a little difference, the bigger question is what kind of tires on the Aviator vs MDX. The stock Michelin Latitudes have very little to offer in the snow traction category. Even a slightly more "truckish" tire like a highway all-season will perform much better. The SH-AWD has to work pretty hard to make up for the lack of tire traction....this thing would be unstoppable with snow tires. But in the mean time...my other suv with just highway all-seasons outperforms the MDX.
Old 02-15-2013, 09:30 AM   #6 (permalink)

I just got new tires for the aviator.. my bodyshop got em for me for like $700.. but they did seem more grippy.. they are all seasons though... I didn't have any issues with the MDX at all, it was VDC which was very intrusive. After VDC was off, the MDX was amazing in the deep snow..
khundkar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2013, 11:01 AM   #7 (permalink)

Thumbs up

My 2010 X did great even during the heaviest snowfall.
Attached Thumbnails
The new england storm of 2013.. how did your mdx do?-20130208_165634.jpg   The new england storm of 2013.. how did your mdx do?-20130208_170215.jpg  
snaps01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2013, 11:19 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by khundkar View Post
I just got new tires for the aviator.. my bodyshop got em for me for like $700.. but they did seem more grippy.. they are all seasons though... I didn't have any issues with the MDX at all, it was VDC which was very intrusive. After VDC was off, the MDX was amazing in the deep snow..
Well the VDC was intrusive because the tires were spinning....but of course the SH-AWD can do a lot even with mediocre tires so I agree...turning the VDC off is important with the MDX. My guess is that with good snow tires you wouldn't have to turn it off.
Old 02-15-2013, 02:13 PM   #9 (permalink)

This is just an opinion, all things the same I would expect the Aviator to be better than the MDX in the aforementioned conditions...the aviator is a more truck like vehicle, with a more truck like traction system that would favor it in off road conditions...or the deep snow we are taking about

Old 02-15-2013, 03:33 PM   #10 (permalink)

While I don't know exactly what a "truck like traction system" is, I'll say that the MDX has a far more sophisticated awd/4x4 system than most trucks/suv's. Equal tires...the MDX should out-perform most other trucks/suv's out there in slippery road conditions. Once you work around the nanny electronics anyway.

The real difference between truck and car based "suv's" is when you go off-road or want to tow. Or want to take a high-speed turn at 80mph.....pros and cons of each!
Old 02-15-2013, 09:56 PM   #11 (permalink)
Super Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinny2 View Post
While I don't know exactly what a "truck like traction system" is, I'll say that the MDX has a far more sophisticated awd/4x4 system than most trucks/suv's. Equal tires...the MDX should out-perform most other trucks/suv's out there in slippery road conditions. Once you work around the nanny electronics anyway.
Sure, that's why you see so many MDX's are used as plow vehicles instead of pickup trucks with true mechanically locking rear differentials and real 4WD systems.............My Silverado with an E80 and 4wd hi/lo will go through snow I will not even attempt with our MDX.
JL_SS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2013, 10:01 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinny2 View Post

The real difference between truck and car based "suv's" is when you go off-road or want to tow. Or want to take a high-speed turn at 80mph.....pros and cons of each!
I mean what you said, that for off road driving the aviator is probably better. I don't know what kind of traction system does the aviator has, but likely there is a switch to go 4x4, or low range or maybe even a locking differential with less intervention from the computer, all missing from the more car like MDX.
Yes, the awd is more "sophisticated" but we would be fools to think for a second that when they designed it they thought about off-roaring for a single second.
With that said, driving in a few inches of snow is not really that big of a deal for the MDX, but in three feet of snow? The traction control will not allow you to go anywhere.

Old 02-15-2013, 10:39 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JL_SS View Post
Sure, that's why you see so many MDX's are used as plow vehicles instead of pickup trucks with true mechanically locking rear differentials and real 4WD systems.............My Silverado with an E80 and 4wd hi/lo will go through snow I will not even attempt with our MDX.

Its actually a shame, the Americans could have the best truck in the world if they would. They surely have the capability to. Sad, the Tundra is the #1 American made truck..

1) Plated their brake lines
2) Make their transmissions to last more than 100K.
3) Improve the mpgs.
07' Civic Si - Sold
02' Black MDX (totaled by a deer in PA)
Susquehanna University Alumni
Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2013, 10:41 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrestrepo View Post
I mean what you said, that for off road driving the aviator is probably better. I don't know what kind of traction system does the aviator has, but likely there is a switch to go 4x4, or low range or maybe even a locking differential with less intervention from the computer, all missing from the more car like MDX.
Yes, the awd is more "sophisticated" but we would be fools to think for a second that when they designed it they thought about off-roaring for a single second.
With that said, driving in a few inches of snow is not really that big of a deal for the MDX, but in three feet of snow? The traction control will not allow you to go anywhere.

03 MDX did well in 30 inches of snow with Nokian winter tires.
07' Civic Si - Sold
02' Black MDX (totaled by a deer in PA)
Susquehanna University Alumni
Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2013, 10:44 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler View Post
03 MDX did well in 30 inches of snow with Nokian winter tires.
Sure, you can get places. Heck, I've driven a sedan with all season tires in the middle of a western MA blizzard and made it home.....but I don't think that's what we are talking about, is it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Random Question

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: