The new england storm of 2013.. how did your mdx do? - Page 2 - Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums
Register Home Forums Active Topics Auto Loans Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance
MDXers.org is the premier Acura MDX Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 02-15-2013, 11:22 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JL_SS View Post
Sure, that's why you see so many MDX's are used as plow vehicles instead of pickup trucks with true mechanically locking rear differentials and real 4WD systems.............My Silverado with an E80 and 4wd hi/lo will go through snow I will not even attempt with our MDX.
Put some car tires on your Silvy and let me know how that works out for you. And you still don't have locking front differentials which means you're 3-wheel drive on a good day. I off-road on a daily basis for my biz...and we own over 70 pickups and SUV's...some of which off-road 24-7. I know a thing or two about trucks and getting around in foul conditions. The MDX is a very good system hampered by car tires.

No I wouldn't take an MDX off-road because it clearly doesn't have the suspension to handle it. Nor would I hook a 600# plow to the front-end because that's just the dumbest thing I've heard (at least today and I was on the phone with lawyers for several hours....). But if you want to get around IN SNOWY CONDITIONS.....with the right tires the MDX has the potential to do a tremendous job.
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2013, 11:50 PM   #17 (permalink)

Here my take on my 08 MDX with brand new tires had it for 3yrs still running strong.

1. Heavy snow its good.
2. Light snow about 1" to 3" the car will slip/spin.
fyaajster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2013, 09:23 AM   #18 (permalink)

The new england storm of 2013.. how did your mdx do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinny2 View Post
Put some car tires on your Silvy and let me know how that works out for you. And you still don't have locking front differentials which means you're 3-wheel drive on a good day. I off-road on a daily basis for my biz...and we own over 70 pickups and SUV's...some of which off-road 24-7. I know a thing or two about trucks and getting around in foul conditions. The MDX is a very good system hampered by car tires.

No I wouldn't take an MDX off-road because it clearly doesn't have the suspension to handle it. Nor would I hook a 600# plow to the front-end because that's just the dumbest thing I've heard (at least today and I was on the phone with lawyers for several hours....). But if you want to get around IN SNOWY CONDITIONS.....with the right tires the MDX has the potential to do a tremendous job.
While they are not ideal vehicles for it, I've actually seen wranglers, Cherokee, grand Cherokee, Tahoes (2 and 4 door) and even ford explorers with plows
I don't believe anyone here is questioning the capabilities of the MDX, all that has been said is that in extreme conditions may not be as good as a vehicle geared to drive off road....and in this particular case the aviator may have had the upper hand.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
wrestrepo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2013, 08:10 PM   #19 (permalink)

I think you guys got me wrong.. The MDX was amazing.. AFTER the traction control was turned off.. I just didn't have to do that in the Aviator.. the traction control in the aviator is called advance trac.. the aviator is very uncomfortable, and when i drove both cars back to back, the MDX was so much more comfortable.. but I think it all came down to the type of tires.. the MDX has car like tires, while the Aviator has truck like tires.
khundkar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Random Question

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: