NVH/ Road Noise Comparisons - Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums
Register Home Forums Active Topics Auto Loans Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance
MDXers.org is the premier Acura MDX Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 01-29-2013, 09:08 AM   #1 (permalink)

NVH/ Road Noise Comparisons

Hi All,
I have been doing quite a bit of research, and have finally zoomed in on MDX as the best handling, 7 seater SUV in case of emergency SUV. I would like to call myself a car enthusiast, and care a great deal about performance and handling, but cant sacrifice a quite ride for that. Purely based on research I have heard some negative feedback from consumer reports about MDX road noise, of course consunerreports tends to say all hondas suffer from road noise, but I have no way of testing that. I currently own an 07 BMW 530i. The reviews threw me off a little, I obviosly dont want to spend 50k on a noisy ride. I just wanted to confirm based on enthusiast feedback how true are the rumors about road noise creeping the cabin, a good engine roar or a hum is always welcome, any actual data comparing the roadnoise levels would be even better. Also, I am wondering how good is the adaptive suspension (sport suspension) is controlling actual body roll in this car. Any comments would be greatly appreciated.
My other choices are in no particular order, audi q5, mazda cx9 and porsche cayenne base manual.
consideringmdx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-29-2013, 09:38 AM   #2 (permalink)

The new 2014 MDX model redesign is about to be released this year. I will not buy this year's MDX because the model is at the end of its life and many internal components i.e. Navigation, etc. are already old technology.

The new 2014 should be a very nice vehicle. I had two Mercedes Benz SUV's and the MDX is a much better quality built vehicle, extremely reliable, and a great ride.

My 2011 MDX is not as noisy as my old SUVs. Though Acura seem to have some issues with tires, so you better ride the vehicles until you find one that works for you.

Good luck..

AC

Quote:
Originally Posted by consideringmdx View Post
Hi All,
I have been doing quite a bit of research, and have finally zoomed in on MDX as the best handling, 7 seater SUV in case of emergency SUV. I would like to call myself a car enthusiast, and care a great deal about performance and handling, but cant sacrifice a quite ride for that. Purely based on research I have heard some negative feedback from consumer reports about MDX road noise, of course consunerreports tends to say all hondas suffer from road noise, but I have no way of testing that. I currently own an 07 BMW 530i. The reviews threw me off a little, I obviosly dont want to spend 50k on a noisy ride. I just wanted to confirm based on enthusiast feedback how true are the rumors about road noise creeping the cabin, a good engine roar or a hum is always welcome, any actual data comparing the roadnoise levels would be even better. Also, I am wondering how good is the adaptive suspension (sport suspension) is controlling actual body roll in this car. Any comments would be greatly appreciated.
My other choices are in no particular order, audi q5, mazda cx9 and porsche cayenne base manual.
... side windows acrylic deflectors,
... Michelin Latitude Tour HP 275/45R19
2010 Acura TL Tech.
2001 Mercedes ML 320
2005 Mercedes ML 500 AMG Package
AC_MDX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2013, 10:08 AM   #3 (permalink)

thanks AC, I agree its due for a facelift but I saw there werent any massive changes, good to hear that it aint that bad, any comments on the sports suspension.
Old 01-29-2013, 10:41 AM   #4 (permalink)

The sport suspension is great, and it gives a great ride without being too stiff. The more weight the better the ride.

There are some changes that they may not have mentioned. Like the navigation system (it is almost obsolete in ours since the Alpine systems that we used have been there for almost 10 years in various vehicle brands), the suspension may be more like the new RDX (since they have not mentioned that about the new MDX) where the RDX has a combined sport/comfort suspension that switches automatically to give you the best ride. Again, it makes sense that the MDX have an updated adaptive suspension in the new model.

They have increased the noise insulation in the new MDX and they have improved the chassis for a better ride.

They have added a direct fuel injection and variable cylinder management technology that will provide a nice mpg and power curve. These are major engine changes.

This is a major model update so there are a lot of things that will be new/improved. Though the outside original MDX looks are being kept on this new model.

The only thing I don't like is that it is 1.5" lower stand, but if I can add 9" wheels with some wide tires, I would be able to change my mind in a hurry...

AC

Quote:
Originally Posted by consideringmdx View Post
thanks AC, I agree its due for a facelift but I saw there werent any massive changes, good to hear that it aint that bad, any comments on the sports suspension.
... side windows acrylic deflectors,
... Michelin Latitude Tour HP 275/45R19
2010 Acura TL Tech.
2001 Mercedes ML 320
2005 Mercedes ML 500 AMG Package
AC_MDX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2013, 11:35 AM   #5 (permalink)

Just concentrating on the noise....it really comes down to the road surface. Most asphault surfaces give you a fairly quiet ride. Concrete highway, bridges, and road imperfections seem to come through the cabin at a louder level. It's no Lexus...but on the plus side....it's no Lexus

I would recommend taking a used one out for a long test drive and see what you think. I say used so that the tires are worn and give you a more realistic response both in noise and performance. Brand new tires always feel sloppy for awhile and usually more quiet than once they're worn a bit.

I personally don't think you'll be disappointed compared to a 5-series...at least in the noise dept. The handling/steering...not so much.
Old 01-30-2013, 10:47 AM   #6 (permalink)

thanks AC and Skinny2 it's no lexus and as you suggest its a good thing, the question is does it feel cheap... as much as i look good handling i cant ignore road noise, is it at par with cars in similar price range...
Old 01-31-2013, 11:43 AM   #7 (permalink)

After putting 2 years and 24k miles on my Advance, I've noticed the stock Michelin tires getting noisier when driving at moderate speeds (30-50mph). On the interstate at 65+ mph they are still pretty quiet.

As for the MDX itself , after 2 years it's still solid. No rattles or squeaks. Only time wind noise bothers me is when there is a strong crosswind.

Before I purchased, I test drove the X5 and Q7. I found the X5 to be a bit quieter, the Q7 about the same. However, based on my previous experience with runflat tires, I suspect the X5 would be noisier than an MDX after a few thousand miles. Also, I didn't think the slight reduction in noise level was worth the much higher price BMW wanted me to pay for an X5.

Joe
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Random Question

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: