High Mileage MDX - potential problems? - Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums
Register Home Forums Active Topics Auto Loans Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance
MDXers.org is the premier Acura MDX Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 01-18-2013, 11:28 AM   #1 (permalink)

High Mileage MDX - potential problems?

Hello everyone. I am new here and new to the Acura world. I've been contemplating buying a used MDX as a practical every-day car and came across a high mileage example for a good price. 2007 with close to 150k miles. I know these cars are very reliable but I am wondering what have been the major problems for owners out there? Anything I should particularly look out for or worry about with a high mileage car? What would be the immediate maintenance items other than regular oils? Any feedback is appreciated.
Bimmer777 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2013, 12:19 PM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer777 View Post
Hello everyone. I am new here and new to the Acura world. I've been contemplating buying a used MDX as a practical every-day car and came across a high mileage example for a good price. 2007 with close to 150k miles. I know these cars are very reliable but I am wondering what have been the major problems for owners out there? Anything I should particularly look out for or worry about with a high mileage car? What would be the immediate maintenance items other than regular oils? Any feedback is appreciated.
Major problems: Transmission & torque converter. It has a high failure rate and make sure the fluid was changed regularly. Ask the owner about problems they had with it. While test driving, drive it for a while varying the speed from 30-50 and listen carefully for (what Acura describes as) "juddering." It will sound like you are driving over rumble strips. This is the torque converter and will likely cause you problems down the road.

What to look for in a high mileage car:

Maintenance: If it hasn't been done recently, change all fluids (VTM-4, transfer case, power steering, coolant) and especially! transmission fluid.

Ask if the timing belt has been done (should have been @ 105k). If not, ~$1000 job. If you postpone, ~$2-3000 job to replace bent valves after the belt wears out or breaks.
chuckd83 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2013, 01:56 PM   #3 (permalink)

^Great post, thank you. Do all years MDXs have transmission problems, or are some more prone than others?
Old 01-18-2013, 02:56 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckd83 View Post
Major problems: Transmission & torque converter. It has a high failure rate and make sure the fluid was changed regularly. Ask the owner about problems they had with it. While test driving, drive it for a while varying the speed from 30-50 and listen carefully for (what Acura describes as) "juddering." It will sound like you are driving over rumble strips. This is the torque converter and will likely cause you problems down the road.

What to look for in a high mileage car: How to buy a used car real good tips Davidsfarmison[bliptv]now - YouTube

Maintenance: If it hasn't been done recently, change all fluids (VTM-4, transfer case, power steering, coolant) and especially! transmission fluid.

Ask if the timing belt has been done (should have been @ 105k). If not, ~$1000 job. If you postpone, ~$2-3000 job to replace bent valves after the belt wears out or breaks.
That is one of the best Videos ive seen on youtube. Thanks for sharing!
flnycus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2013, 03:32 PM   #5 (permalink)

I guess towing is out of the question

Are parts for transmission rebuilds sold individually and easy to get?
Old 01-18-2013, 05:28 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
^Great post, thank you. Do all years MDXs have transmission problems, or are some more prone than others?
01-03 were the worst. But later years are becoming a problem too. I have a feeling the earlier years have more complaints just because they are getting higher in mileage.
chuckd83 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2013, 05:38 PM   #7 (permalink)
Super Senior Member

The 01-02 were a widespread problem with Honda in general (TLs, CLs, Odyssey, Accord, etc.) The transmission was redesigned in 03 and there have been much fewer problems since. The torque converter...now that is another issue.

02 Honda S2000 -- Berlina Black/Black
99 Acura RL -- Naples Gold Metallic/Parchment
12 Toyota Avalon Limited
phins2rt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2013, 09:43 PM   #8 (permalink)

At 150K that mdx doesn't owe anything to anyone. You can expect anything to go out at this point, and it will largely depend on how it was serviced during those 150Ks.
I would factor replacement tranny into price (call around, call Acura), and effectively 150K MDX price + 3-4K(guess) for tranny = price. If you can live with that, should it happen, you'll get new tranny (rebuid?) plus warranty on the new tranny and if it doesn't happen, bonus.
Price 100K MDX, compare and see what you are working with...

In conclusion, MDX is very good for what it is, also it is easy to follow up on Mercedes and BMW for reference (I just never see much of anything from those with 150K especially in SUV).

Regards,

Nino
ninor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2013, 10:34 PM   #9 (permalink)

I have a feeling the earlier years have more complaints just because they are getting higher in mileage.
Old 01-19-2013, 07:17 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
\

It is smart to be cautious of "anything" high mileage.

Major problems could be just around the next click of the odometer.

George
Old 01-21-2013, 10:33 AM   #11 (permalink)

The most important items really are prior maintenance. Fluids been changed regularly? Hopefully timing belt etc. If you have no history I would not consider.

With that mileage I would budget $4-$5k in a rainy day fund. I think <50% chance you hit it. However have a mechanical inspection done first. Buyer balks run.

What do you consider a "good deal"? I paid $19k for 82k mile private owner 07 MDX tech. I had to drop $600 for brakes and $100 for battery. The prior owner was scared of shuttering transmission(told me when I noticed it unfortunately latter). Luckily Acura came up with a software patch to take care of this issue.
Old 01-21-2013, 11:00 AM   #12 (permalink)

Unfortunately the car was sold on Saturday, the day I was planning to go see it. It was a 2007 with 145k miles for $9k. The way I figured the price was low enough for me to budget in another transmission.

Thank you for all your help. I will keep looking and hopefully will find something soon!
Old 01-21-2013, 11:34 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Unfortunately the car was sold on Saturday, the day I was planning to go see it. It was a 2007 with 145k miles for $9k. The way I figured the price was low enough for me to budget in another transmission.

Thank you for all your help. I will keep looking and hopefully will find something soon!
That was a good deal for the mileage.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Random Question

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: