Another 2013 Tech with Vibrations - Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums
Register Home Forums Active Topics Auto Loans Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance
MDXers.org is the premier Acura MDX Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 01-16-2013, 12:24 PM   #1 (permalink)

Unhappy Another 2013 Tech with Vibrations

I have been following all the shaking/vibration threads in here in hopes of finding a resolution on my new 2013 MDX with Technology package. I have decided it's time to make my own thread. I am located in Southern California so cold weather/snow is NOT a big factor. No dirt roads or off-roading here.

Dec 29, 2012
Purchased a brand new 2013 MDX Tech with 5 miles on the odometer. It was a gloomy rainy day and I went home straight after purchase.

Dec 31, 2012
1st service visit. Odometer has about ~100 or so miles. We went to San Diego the day before to enjoy the car and to break it in as well. That is where I discovered the shaking at about 62 mph. The front passenger seat shakes like there is a booty-shaking ghost seated in there. Acura dealer hands me a TSX loaner. That afternoon, Acura noted that they balanced the tires.

This is when I discover mdxers.org via google. I was still in break in mode so I haven't really broken the 70 mph barrier but after reading the threads here, I had to try 75 mph just to see if I had the vibrations at that speed. Sure enough, I did

Jan 5, 2013
2nd service visit. Odometer has about ~200 or so miles. Acura dealer loans me another TSX. Advisor calls me that afternoon and asks if I want to drive with the senior tech and I say of course. Tech tells me that for whatever reason the tires were NOT balanced again so he re-balanced them. We take the test drive and I point out the vibrations. The vibrations are slightly fainter BUT are still there. The technician calls the service advisor and instructs him to pull out another brand new MDX for comparison. We hop on the other MDX (brand new 2013 with 9 miles on the odo) and hit the freeway. This one didn't take long to discover the vibration issues. The tech was puzzled, to say the least. They said they will look into the issue and possibly contact Acura Corporate for guidance

Jan 9, 2013.
I hear nothing from dealer so I called them up. Advisor apologizes for not getting back ASAP but they have no solution as of that moment He recommended that I contact Acura Client Relations. I immediately called ACR, told my story and got a case number. That afternoon I got a call from an ACR District Manager and he told me he will look into the situation and give me a call Friday or Monday at the latest. It is now Wednesday - still no call

----------
Upfront observations - my MDX seems like it gives me too much driving feedback (not the good kind). Now, I don't know if this is because of the tires, suspension, my vibration issues or something else but it is definitely not welcomed.

I have new side steps and a new hitch sitting in the garage waiting to be put on. I don't want to put them yet because the dealer *might* blame those. C'mon you know that happens

...and of course obligatory pics
zmanH2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2013, 12:28 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Senior Member

Does anyone know what changed from 2012 to 2013? This seems very strange to have happen on the last model year of a 7 year run.

02 Honda S2000 -- Berlina Black/Black
99 Acura RL -- Naples Gold Metallic/Parchment
12 Toyota Avalon Limited
phins2rt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2013, 07:59 PM   #3 (permalink)

There is absolutely no difference between the 12 and 13. I have heard that you cannot use the NAV while driving in the 13.
newyork326 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2013, 09:04 PM   #4 (permalink)

I hope you get this figured out. May want to see if Acura will pay for new tires from discount tire. At least get another input. Do any other acuras have the same size wheels? Maybe drive a non x model that is smooth and ask to put the non x wheels on your x. Try to isolate whether or not its the wheels and tires.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App
tolson37 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2013, 09:22 PM   #5 (permalink)

I have not been entirely happy with my 08 MDX. The reliability is below my expectation for an Acura. We had a 03 MDX before that. Problem with the 08: battery died the 3rd day after we bought the truck, got warped tires few years later-making annoying noise, I couldn't put up with the noise so I had to replace all 4 tires at less than 30000 miles, it has had vibration on and off from the get go, windshield wiper came on randomly right after the warranty expired, replaced with new one for $220.

The 03 MDX had its shares of issues too...
2009 VW Passat
bimmerguy288 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2013, 10:12 PM   #6 (permalink)

reading all about 2013 shakers i am very happy that i bought 2012, mine is smooth silk (knock on the wood). I would think this is tire/wheel problem. If you would live in Chicago area i would offer to come to my garage i have set of oem tires and wheels at my garage. Since it is winter now i have winter tire/wheel set on my mdx, No shakes with oem, or my blizzak tires.
I just wonder what manufacture date is of your mdx. Mine was made 2012 July.
dzionassi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2013, 12:50 AM   #7 (permalink)

I have heard that you cannot use the NAV while driving in the 13.
Old 01-17-2013, 10:29 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzionassi View Post
reading all about 2013 shakers i am very happy that i bought 2012, mine is smooth silk (knock on the wood).
Did you miss newyork326's and grigiomdx's threads (among others)?

http://www.mdxers.org/forums/74-2007...-problems.html

http://www.mdxers.org/forums/74-2007...vibration.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by greaneto View Post
I have heard that you cannot use the NAV while driving in the 13.
Not necessarily true. You can definitely use the Nav......you just can't use the map button on the center console (upper left corner button). It's just that, I believe, then everything else is as usual Nav program wise. Acura wants you to use the voice guidance while driving.
Old 01-17-2013, 03:21 PM   #9 (permalink)

I think its the late 2012s that have the problem. Mine was built in Feb 2012 and is smooth as a baby's bottom.. I feel for you guys, its just ridiculous that Acura has not come out with a fix yet...
tk76 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2013, 05:36 PM   #10 (permalink)

Are the people having vibration problems using Michelin tires? I had several defective Michelin tires on my X. Became very noisy and I wonder if they have a large defective batch on the Acura's X.

Those with vibration problems, do you have Michelin tires installed? If the vibration mostly disappears (in many cases) for some time after the wheels are balanced, then it all kind of points to bad tires that can't keep a balance because they are defective, and as soon as their is some extra wear, the tires will lose their balance.

When I first bought my vehicle, I had the vibration problems at around 70 mph. but after the dealer balanced my tires, the problem practically disappeared, I immediately changed my tires to the 275/45 size (because I liked them wider) and sold my old tires. With the new tires, I didn't have vibrations for a long time but two of them became very noisy, and after an unfixable flat tire, I bought two tires and my X has been flawless with no noise at any speed and still zero vibrations.

I think Michelin has a whole bunch of defective tires because if it was something else, the vibrations will still be there, but from the time they went aways, it pointed to the tires.

Some people mentioned that the dealer replaced the wheels/tires from another X, but did they checked that the other X did not have any vibrations? If so, too, I would have swapped my X for the other X that did not have any vibrations...

AC
... side windows acrylic deflectors,
... Michelin Latitude Tour HP 275/45R19
2010 Acura TL Tech.
2001 Mercedes ML 320
2005 Mercedes ML 500 AMG Package
AC_MDX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2013, 10:28 PM   #11 (permalink)

I bought a 2013 MDX Tech in December and am having the exact same vibration issues you are..."ghost in passenger seat shaking". I don't feel it as much in my driver seat as I do when I am riding in the passenger seat. The door panels on passenger side even shake mine is so bad! We have taken it to the dealer several times, they have done several things, and it has gotten a little better, but it is still there. We too have michelin tires on ours and have not tried any other tires yet. We bought the MDX b/c we have owned 4 Acura's over the years and they all rode/drove extremely well so we are extemely disappointed in the ride we are experiencing. Please keep us posted as to what response you get from Customer Care. I am thinking that we need to call them too b/c there is obviously a problem!
Chelcamp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2013, 10:46 AM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC_MDX View Post
Are the people having vibration problems using Michelin tires? I had several defective Michelin tires on my X. Became very noisy and I wonder if they have a large defective batch on the Acura's X.

Those with vibration problems, do you have Michelin tires installed? If the vibration mostly disappears (in many cases) for some time after the wheels are balanced, then it all kind of points to bad tires that can't keep a balance because they are defective, and as soon as their is some extra wear, the tires will lose their balance.

When I first bought my vehicle, I had the vibration problems at around 70 mph. but after the dealer balanced my tires, the problem practically disappeared, I immediately changed my tires to the 275/45 size (because I liked them wider) and sold my old tires. With the new tires, I didn't have vibrations for a long time but two of them became very noisy, and after an unfixable flat tire, I bought two tires and my X has been flawless with no noise at any speed and still zero vibrations.

I think Michelin has a whole bunch of defective tires because if it was something else, the vibrations will still be there, but from the time they went aways, it pointed to the tires.

Some people mentioned that the dealer replaced the wheels/tires from another X, but did they checked that the other X did not have any vibrations? If so, too, I would have swapped my X for the other X that did not have any vibrations...

AC
I was hoping it was as simple as bad Michelin Latitude tires. The other new 2013 MDX the dealer tech & I drove had Bridgestones installed from the factory. We found that out AFTER the test drive - so that ruled out that theory of bad tires unless those were bad too

Could it be the rims, the suspension, the SH-AWD...who knows. I am still waiting for a call from the ACR District Manager
Old 01-18-2013, 10:49 AM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelcamp View Post
I am thinking that we need to call them too b/c there is obviously a problem!
I suggest to everyone who has these issues to let Acura Client Relations know so at least these issues are put into the forefront..

Old 01-18-2013, 12:27 PM   #14 (permalink)

Keep us posted, and we sure share your frustration, We all need to find the root of this problem... Just in case it is contagious..

AC

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmanH2 View Post
I was hoping it was as simple as bad Michelin Latitude tires. The other new 2013 MDX tech & I drove had Bridgestones installed from the factory. We found that out AFTER the test drive - so that ruled out that theory of bad tires unless those were bad too

Could it be the rims, the suspension, the SH-AWD...who knows. I am still waiting for a call from the ACR District Manager
... side windows acrylic deflectors,
... Michelin Latitude Tour HP 275/45R19
2010 Acura TL Tech.
2001 Mercedes ML 320
2005 Mercedes ML 500 AMG Package
AC_MDX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2013, 11:28 AM   #15 (permalink)

Same issue was happening to me when i was getting ready to purchase My MDX..The one i told them to let me hold for the day has a weird vibration going on..I went back to the dealer the next day to finalize the deal and told them i did not want that one and to exchange it for another one..He tried to tell me it was from it sitting up to long on the lot and it may have cause flat spots in the tires..I did not care what caused it and i went home that day with a Brand new different Mdx..
Fortyb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Random Question

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: