Importing a 2010 to Canada - Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums
Register Home Forums Active Topics Auto Loans Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance
MDXers.org is the premier Acura MDX Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 01-10-2013, 08:57 PM   #1 (permalink)

Importing a 2010 to Canada

We currently have an 06 that we bought in Ohio. It has been great. It has 106,000 trouble free miles, but I figure we are due for a new one just to keep life interesting. At the time Acura USA treated me like Lepers when they found out a Canadian bought a US spec car. All ours needed was daytime running lights to get legal in Canada (Piece of tape over the light sensor).
Anyone know what the latest government and Acura roadblocks are to bringing up a US spec MDX? I know BMW sure makes life miserable and expensive if you bring up a US spec BMW. Does Acura make you do any crazy stuff like buy a new cluster? Charge $500 for a compliance letter? IS the warranty still void in Canada? That was depressing when we found out our 06 had no warranty. The upside was that it never went back to a Canadian dealer, so we saved a ton on maintenance and the vehicle was dead reliable the whole time we owned it.
Recent import experience appreciated.

Tia.
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2013, 11:01 PM   #2 (permalink)

I don't have any experience, but I know the warranty on a U.S.-spec car won't be honored by dealers in Canada.

Why wouldn't you just buy a car in Canada, and you wouldn't have to deal with any of those problems?
Old 01-11-2013, 12:07 AM   #3 (permalink)

On our last MDX, we paid $38,000 for a vehicle they wanted $53,000 for in Toronto. Seeing as it was made in Alliston, it felt very good beating the system. Plus the US spec car had Sat radio, which you could not get on an 06 in Canada.
Old 01-11-2013, 07:38 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kona View Post
On our last MDX, we paid $38,000 for a vehicle they wanted $53,000 for in Toronto. Seeing as it was made in Alliston, it felt very good beating the system. Plus the US spec car had Sat radio, which you could not get on an 06 in Canada.
Who needs warranty when you have $15 large +tax in your pocket.

That can fix a LOT of issues and on 2013 model most likely nothing will be needed.

Regards,

Nino
ninor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2013, 08:45 AM   #5 (permalink)
Site Sponsor

Send a message via AIM to hondacuraplanet
Here's what I know:

1. The vehicle must be previously titled, you cannot purchase new and drive it across the border with the MSO (manufacturer's statement of origin) only.

2. You must add DRL, and have a speedometer and odometer that calculates in metric.

3. I can write you a compliance letter, I've done this before. In order for me to do so, the vehicle must have any and all bulletins and recalls performed, if there are any. You'll need proof of this, which I can obtain with the VIN number.

4. After the vehicle is registered in Canada, the warranty is null and void both in the US and Canada.

5. If you want to have an experienced third party company handle the importation rather than do it yourself, contact John at Peninsula Imports in Oakville, Ontario. Phone number is 905-847-0838. Tell him I sent you, I've known him for at least 15 years....
Old 01-11-2013, 10:08 AM   #6 (permalink)

Thanks for the info Tim. Really irks me that the warranty would be void on both sides of the border. I remember how rude the previously polite Acura USA Customer service rep was when I told her I needed a letter of compliance for my 06. Treated me like a criminal.
Got any nice snowblowers in the garage?

The shocks I bought off you are still working great, what a deal. Everyone should buy their parts off Tim.
Old 01-11-2013, 11:17 AM   #7 (permalink)
Super Senior Member

Quote:
Everyone should buy their parts off Tim.
Hear, hear!

02 Honda S2000 -- Berlina Black/Black
99 Acura RL -- Naples Gold Metallic/Parchment
12 Toyota Avalon Limited
phins2rt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2013, 03:25 PM   #8 (permalink)
kgb

[QUOTE=hondacuraplanet;528545]Here's what I know:

1. The vehicle must be previously titled, you cannot purchase new and drive it across the border with the MSO (manufacturer's statement of origin) only.

2. You must add DRL, and have a speedometer and odometer that calculates in metric.

3. I can write you a compliance letter, I've done this before. In order for me to do so, the vehicle must have any and all bulletins and recalls performed, if there are any. You'll need proof of this, which I can obtain with the VIN number.

4. After the vehicle is registered in Canada, the warranty is null and void both in the US and Canada.
Not true 100%... I bought mine new and drove it across the border with MSO only. Not a problem. The problem was this: dealers refused to sell me a new car when they learned that I am from Canada. Because Honda USA prohibited it. But again, the difference in price in my case was almost 20k.
Old 01-13-2013, 12:05 AM   #9 (permalink)

I am surprised at price differences you are quoting. Usually Acura Canada has some promotions going (at least in the past few years after 2008) and if you buy at the right time the price difference is very small (if any).
I bought my 2009 base MDX (new) at the time for $44200+GST, which included freight and PDI (that was about $10700 off MSRP). Until a few weeks ago you could get a 2012 model $9000 off MSRP plus whatever you could shave off dealer profit (that is typically at least $2k or so).

There were some minor differences between US and Canadian models at least until 2009 model (e.g. heated back seats, headlight washers), which made the price difference even less attractive. Then there is lower resale value for US cars in Canada. And the deal breaker for me was no warranty in either US or Canada.

So do your research carefully before buying it south.
rabit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2013, 01:46 AM   #10 (permalink)
kgb

I bought mine 2008 in October 2007. Nobody in the city wanted to talk to me below MSRP. Best offer I had on tech package was MSRP minus $500.00 plus free floor matts. That's why I started to look south of the border. Saved almost 20K. Had minor repairers done so far, costed me approx $1500.00
You do the math...
Old 01-13-2013, 03:49 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondacuraplanet View Post
There's a dealer close to me that brings 2 and 3 year-old Pilots, MDXs, Siennas and Odysseys off lease in the 'states and sells them in Ontario.

When I last talked to him he claimed all he had to add was DRLs - the minor km/h markings on the speedometer were good enough for the province of Ontario. So, I'm not sure that the odometer needs to be changed to kms ( and perhaps dealers get away with a loophole ), or maybe it varies from province to province.

You're correct about the warranty coverages being voided - but if you're really concerned a 3rd party warranty would be something to look into ( if you're saving $20K, maybe a $3K warranty might not be a bad deal...), Banking the $20K in an RRSP or TFSA might be a good enough insurance policy !
Old 01-13-2013, 05:29 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgb View Post
I bought mine 2008 in October 2007. Nobody in the city wanted to talk to me below MSRP. Best offer I had on tech package was MSRP minus $500.00 plus free floor matts. That's why I started to look south of the border. Saved almost 20K. Had minor repairers done so far, costed me approx $1500.00
You do the math...
I know about Edmonton dealers not negotiating at all. I bought in Calgary.
How much at the end did you pay for yours all said and done? and what trim/package?
rabit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2013, 08:29 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by leaffan View Post
There's a dealer close to me that brings 2 and 3 year-old Pilots, MDXs, Siennas and Odysseys off lease in the 'states and sells them in Ontario.

When I last talked to him he claimed all he had to add was DRLs - the minor km/h markings on the speedometer were good enough for the province of Ontario. So, I'm not sure that the odometer needs to be changed to kms ( and perhaps dealers get away with a loophole ), or maybe it varies from province to province.

You're correct about the warranty coverages being voided - but if you're really concerned a 3rd party warranty would be something to look into ( if you're saving $20K, maybe a $3K warranty might not be a bad deal...), Banking the $20K in an RRSP or TFSA might be a good enough insurance policy !
Do you know the name of the dealer by any chance? As for DRL's, I asked Acura when we brought in our 2006. First dealer said it would be $700, second dealer said it would be $350, third dealer said to take it to Canadian Tire (The Brushoff) I woke in the middle of the night with the idea that a piece of tape over the light sensor (on the dash) would do the job. The same piece of tape has worked perfectly for 100,000 miles.
Old 01-13-2013, 09:49 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Do you know the name of the dealer by any chance? As for DRL's, I asked Acura when we brought in our 2006. First dealer said it would be $700, second dealer said it would be $350, third dealer said to take it to Canadian Tire (The Brushoff) I woke in the middle of the night with the idea that a piece of tape over the light sensor (on the dash) would do the job. The same piece of tape has worked perfectly for 100,000 miles.
I was also looking to buy from US and did some research. Only mod required is to add DRL if not already installed. You can print/save recall information from acura.com using VIN and email it to recall@support.riv.ca (more info on http://www.riv.ca/recallclearance.aspx). They will accept it and send you a reply. All you need is the email reply and printed info on the border. I did get a pre-approval for clearance letter. Travelled to US to pick the car up but it had damage to the bumper that was not declared so I called off the deal.
luxcar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2013, 09:52 PM   #15 (permalink)
kgb

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabit View Post
I know about Edmonton dealers not negotiating at all. I bought in Calgary.
How much at the end did you pay for yours all said and done? and what trim/package?
I paid 42K in San fran area. my wife and I FLEW there to pick up the car and drove it home in 3 days enjoying our trip. Got pulled over for speeding 3 times on my way home -were let go with no tickets! Nice American cops!!
So even after all the expenses including minor shopping.... I ended up saving 17K.
Back then MDX with tech package was selling for 62K here, I also tried Calgary but same results. Dealers were not moving at all! and trust me, I know how to negotiate....
Oh, AND BY THE WAY, the tax back then was 6% and I only paid tax at the border on the amount of 40K, not 60k like if I would,ve bought it here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Random Question

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: