Importing a 2010 to Canada - Page 2 - Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums
Register Home Forums Active Topics Auto Loans Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance
MDXers.org is the premier Acura MDX Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 01-14-2013, 07:54 AM   #16 (permalink)

Yes, factoring how much LESS tax you pay when importing an MDX is a bonus. I will give the Ontario dealers a fair shot, but for a 6K difference, I will probably shop in the US.
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2013, 09:08 AM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kona View Post
Do you know the name of the dealer by any chance?
Orr Motors, Stittsville ( Ottawa west ). They usually have their entire inventory online. No endorsement from me, they just seemed liked an interesting option when I was looking.
Old 01-14-2013, 11:13 AM   #18 (permalink)
Site Sponsor

Send a message via AIM to hondacuraplanet
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgb View Post
Not true 100%... I bought mine new and drove it across the border with MSO only. Not a problem. The problem was this: dealers refused to sell me a new car when they learned that I am from Canada. Because Honda USA prohibited it. But again, the difference in price in my case was almost 20k.
News to me.....in importing, I've only dealt with Acura/Honda, and Subaru.

You got pretty lucky that the dealer gave you the MSO. They could lose their franchise license for doing that.
Old 01-14-2013, 11:21 AM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondacuraplanet View Post

You got pretty lucky that the dealer gave you the MSO. They could lose their franchise license for doing that.
+1. Must be an exception. US dealers will not sell new cars to Canadians.
luxcar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2013, 12:18 PM   #20 (permalink)

I've bought mine 2008 basic MDX 5 mounts old with 10000 miles on it. Used car dealer who I know bought it for me on dealer's auction in Fort Wayne, Indiana for $32500. After all final bill was $39500. About $18000 less then new machine in Canada. In that everything was included, all taxes, dealers fee($1000) transportation from the states. He did also all paper work. I just wrote him final check and picked up registration papers.
MDX was spotless, no body damage with completely original paint.
In 4,5 years I'm driving it I had no problems whatsoever. Never went to the dealer for any work. I'm doing all maintenance myself.
wgiers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2013, 06:47 PM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by leaffan View Post
There's a dealer close to me that brings 2 and 3 year-old Pilots, MDXs, Siennas and Odysseys off lease in the 'states and sells them in Ontario.

When I last talked to him he claimed all he had to add was DRLs - the minor km/h markings on the speedometer were good enough for the province of Ontario. So, I'm not sure that the odometer needs to be changed to kms ( and perhaps dealers get away with a loophole ), or maybe it varies from province to province.
Why would the speedometer even need to be modified? The US version speedometer still lists Km/H, right under MPH. Does it really matter that Km/h is not the primary measure on the speedometer, even if it's there?

Yeah, you may have voted for me, but don't expect me to work for you. I'm too busy catering to the people who funded my election and to the people who bribe me. And remember, if anything goes wrong it's anyone else's fault but mine, in fact it was probably yours. You must be wondering why all this is legal. Well, son, I make the law.

This is Corrupt Politician, signing out
CrptPolitician is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2013, 08:07 PM   #22 (permalink)

If it has KMH/Hr on the speedo, you do not have to change the gauge. Our 06 (US spec) just needed DRLs.
Old 01-14-2013, 09:53 PM   #23 (permalink)
kgb

Quote:

If the guy walks to your dealership with cash in his hand and wants to buy a vehicle- do you ask him for green card? Mine did not. I just gave him my friends address from Detroit and that was it. Who do you think he cares more- his own pocket or Honda Canada screwing its customers because they can?
Old 01-15-2013, 11:25 AM   #24 (permalink)
Site Sponsor

Send a message via AIM to hondacuraplanet
I'm not arguing right, wrong, or indifferent.....I'm just saying that they didn't follow the rules, and could have got stung badly.

In fact, American Honda is really stepping up enforcement of a lot of international trade. As of last week, we can no longer ship parts outside the 50 states. We can't even ship to Puerto Rico.
Old 01-15-2013, 03:33 PM   #25 (permalink)

I read with interest regarding the barriers our friends north of the border have to face in buying US cars. After all the NAFTA signed by US, Canada, and Mexico governments provides free trade across the border, but somehow it does not apply to car dealers? I think this is an area that perhaps a complaint should be made to the appropriate Canadian authority so that the government agency can look into these barriers to free trade.

Heck, my car is made in Canada for crying out loud!
flash gordon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2013, 04:33 PM   #26 (permalink)
kgb

Quote:
Originally Posted by flash gordon View Post
I read with interest regarding the barriers our friends north of the border have to face in buying US cars. After all the NAFTA signed by US, Canada, and Mexico governments provides free trade across the border, but somehow it does not apply to car dealers? I think this is an area that perhaps a complaint should be made to the appropriate Canadian authority so that the government agency can look into these barriers to free trade.

Heck, my car is made in Canada for crying out loud!
I don't think that the government has anything to do with this. This is a pure greed of Honda Canada/USA. They have been charging Canadians more all these years because of the US $ value versus Can $. The diff used to be 20-25% and Honda is having tuff times to adjust the price after been doing this for so long. But when the CAN $ hit par with the green buck, they came out with an excuse why they are charging more: higher distribution cost( but we are paying for it on invoice called Destination Charge?), higher labour cost( what does that have to do - all made in Canada). Just pure gauging! If the dif in price would have been 2-4K -I would have bought it locally. But even cost of parts/accessories is double here. Set of running boards-$1000.00 here and I got mine from US shipped to my door steps for $550.00 WTF?!
Old 01-15-2013, 05:34 PM   #27 (permalink)

Quote:
I'm not arguing right, wrong, or indifferent.....I'm just saying that they didn't follow the rules, and could have got stung badly.

In fact, American Honda is really stepping up enforcement of a lot of international trade. As of last week, we can no longer ship parts outside the 50 states. We can't even ship to Puerto Rico.
Now that is really upsetting me; why the hell do they stop shipping parts that are made here in Canada?!?! So that the stealer here can charge 20 times for the same part?!! These little things might be enough for me to stop buying another Honda/Acura car, seriously. People should speak with their wallet.
rabit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2013, 05:53 PM   #28 (permalink)
kgb

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabit View Post
Now that is really upsetting me; why the hell do they stop shipping parts that are made here in Canada?!?! So that the stealer here can charge 20 times for the same part?!! These little things might be enough for me to stop buying another Honda/Acura car, seriously. People should speak with their wallet.
Well said, comrade, well said!! But MDX... mmm... like it....too much to say NO. Plus it gives me pleasure to go around the fence, like a kid stealing apples from neighbour's' garden
And as of for parts - that's what E-bay for! Alleluia!
Old 01-15-2013, 06:16 PM   #29 (permalink)

Quote:

That sucks. Canadian parts prices are double than US. Now we will not be able to buy parts from US.
luxcar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2013, 01:40 PM   #30 (permalink)

KGB: You have it right. This has nothing to do with either government. This is strictly company policy. Recently, when the Canadian dollar rose to above the US dollar, many people in Windsor were taking the 10 minute trip to Detroit car dealers. It was reported that Ford issued an ultimatum to its Detroit dealers, telling them that if they sold to a Canadian, they could lose their franchise. Ford defended this by saying that they were protecting their Windsor dealers, who could not compete otherwise.

This is not an isolated Acura issue.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Random Question

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: