2009 Acura MDX Tech or Sport? Looking to buy one within the week - Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums
Register Home Forums Active Topics Auto Loans Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance
MDXers.org is the premier Acura MDX Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 01-07-2013, 09:00 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 17
2009 Acura MDX Tech or Sport? Looking to buy one within the week

I just sold my 06 ML350 and am in the market for another SUV. Something with better performance, handling, styling and has a 3rd row. Contemplating the Tech w/ ENT. but what about the Sport w/ ENT.?

Seeing how many of you here have already owned an MDX for several years now, what should I "typically" expect from this car? I know it got low reliability ratings but for what exactly; what was the most troubling thing?

I was also contemplating the Acadia, Enclave, Q7 but the MDX had the best performance rating of those cars and fuel economy isnt something I care too much about. I only drive roughly 500-700 miles MAX per month anyways.

Hows the second row seating? Comfortable enough for a child seat and the Mrs. (5'8" 130; enough cushin for the pushin ). The third row would be for kids age 7 and 6: both girls.

For the most part, I would be driving the car by myself anyways; will use the minivan for local trips, MDX would be for when we "go out".

So what can I expect? Also, anyone interested in selling their car ...no seriously? Looking for 70K miles or less on it.

One last thing, if it isnt too much, Id be interested in purchasing the car at an auction (dealer auction preferred) but haven't found any dealers willing to take me along, for a price of course.
HomerRulez is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 01-08-2013, 05:42 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 17
anyone?
HomerRulez is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2013, 06:18 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Galveston, TX
Posts: 937
Welcome to the forum..!! I came from owning two W163 Mercedes SUV's, a 2001 ML 320 and a 500 ML 500 with the AMG package. I bought them new and put around 108K miles on each of them. They lived at the dealership since they were always needing repairs and bled my pocket with $700.00 to $1600.00 services and not counting the expensive repairs after the warranty.

You will really enjoy the reliability and the ride of the Acura MDX. The third row seat works pretty good for kids and ok for medium sized people. I will not put anybody 6' and taller on the third row seat because you will need a can opener to take them out..

The MDX sport suspension is very nice but comes at a price. The newer model years have a transmission cooler which helps if you do any towing. There were torque converter issues, but they were mostly fix by a software update. You will want to make sure that you don't have any vibrations related to the torque converter and make sure all the TSBs were performed.

In all, it is a great and fun SUV to have.. Miss the V8s low end torque, but the MDX has a very nice V6 that outperformed my 2005 V8 ML 500, so I don't miss the overall power and am enjoying the gas savings.

Best will be to take it to the dealer for a detail checkup..

AC



Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerRulez View Post
I just sold my 06 ML350 and am in the market for another SUV. Something with better performance, handling, styling and has a 3rd row. Contemplating the Tech w/ ENT. but what about the Sport w/ ENT.?

Seeing how many of you here have already owned an MDX for several years now, what should I "typically" expect from this car? I know it got low reliability ratings but for what exactly; what was the most troubling thing?

I was also contemplating the Acadia, Enclave, Q7 but the MDX had the best performance rating of those cars and fuel economy isnt something I care too much about. I only drive roughly 500-700 miles MAX per month anyways.

Hows the second row seating? Comfortable enough for a child seat and the Mrs. (5'8" 130; enough cushin for the pushin ). The third row would be for kids age 7 and 6: both girls.

For the most part, I would be driving the car by myself anyways; will use the minivan for local trips, MDX would be for when we "go out".

So what can I expect? Also, anyone interested in selling their car ...no seriously? Looking for 70K miles or less on it.

One last thing, if it isnt too much, Id be interested in purchasing the car at an auction (dealer auction preferred) but haven't found any dealers willing to take me along, for a price of course.
__________________
2011 Pearl White MDX Advanced
... OEM towing, 20 mm wheel adapters,
... rails/crossbars, wheel well trim,
... side windows acrylic deflectors,
... Michelin Latitude Tour HP 275/45R19
2010 Acura TL Tech.
2001 Mercedes ML 320
2005 Mercedes ML 500 AMG Package
AC_MDX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2013, 06:23 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered User
 
symmetrical's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Livermore, CA
Posts: 273
Well one factor I would also chime in is the steering feel and heftiness of '07-'09 MDX's. They are a lot heavier from a low speed while the '10s and up are a lot easier to rotate. But people seem to feel that it doesn't give them enough driving feel. So I'm not sure what your preference is coming from those Mercedes'.
__________________
2008 Billet Silver MDX w/ 2010 front conversion
2008 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport (Wife's)
2003 Nissan 350Z TT (Retired Garage Queen)
symmetrical is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2013, 06:41 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by symmetrical View Post
Well one factor I would also chime in is the steering feel and heftiness of '07-'09 MDX's. They are a lot heavier from a low speed while the '10s and up are a lot easier to rotate. But people seem to feel that it doesn't give them enough driving feel. So I'm not sure what your preference is coming from those Mercedes'.

the one thing I didnt like about the ML350 is how heavy it was to keep straight. Even with wheel alignment, it made it a chore; I like driving with the tips of my 2 fingers, except when changing lanes and turning of course. The Routan I have is light and holding it steady with two fingers is quite easy. I am a lazy driver, dont like putting much effort when driving long distances. Dont take that to mean that I am an unsafe driver, Im always aware of my surroundings and always keep my right hand in ready position if need be. I've just grown accustom to using two fingers to drive

I also hated the way the transmission would shift, awful feeling for a one owner 80k luxury car

oh and the inside doesnt look as luxurious and the navi looks old school. Def. not luxury for a mercedes. The keys however do look luxurious, thats about it. Performance in the ML350 was decent, but not as good as a Honda accord at times and not as good as a nissan altima I once had.

Also, the drivers seat was uncomfortable and stiff. Also made my left ankle hurt when driving long distance as there was little room for my left side. Quite cramp indeed for an SUV.

Hows the second row for adults?

If I buy the car at auction, would acura care still be available? I want to avoid 3rd party warranties like the plague and would rather have a acura bumper to bumper extended warranty.

I'd buy at a dealership but would rather own the car outright.

Based on these specs, whats a decent price to pay:

2009 Acura MDX Tech w/ Ent or Sport w. Ent. @ less than 75K Miles and in clean condition

I can throw down 15K and finance the rest but again, would prefer to find this car at a dealer auction; I just dont know any dealers in the area who can take me to one.

Thanks for your replies everyone. Look forward to being a new MDX'er and for a long time
HomerRulez is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2013, 10:38 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Galveston, TX
Posts: 937
Second row seat is great. My son is 6'5" and my father in law is 6'1", and with my mother in law in the rear seat too and my wife in the front seat, we have taken several long 700+ mile trips with full cargo with everybody liking and enjoying the ride. The MDX is wide and comfortable. The MDX has real leather instead of leatherette (high quality vinyl) which makes a lot of difference if you know the different feel between them..

I have the advance sport suspension though, so I can't comment on the standard suspension. Though everybody who owns one seems tolike it too a lot.

I know what you mean on the ML stiff and wondering steering, and I think you will enjoy the MDX steering a lot. Maybe more the steering on the new MDXs 2009+? which seem very easy to steer. A healthy and well taken care MDX steers straight with no problems at all, so you'll like that..

AC

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerRulez View Post
the one thing I didnt like about the ML350 is how heavy it was to keep straight. Even with wheel alignment, it made it a chore; I like driving with the tips of my 2 fingers, except when changing lanes and turning of course. The Routan I have is light and holding it steady with two fingers is quite easy. I am a lazy driver, dont like putting much effort when driving long distances. Dont take that to mean that I am an unsafe driver, Im always aware of my surroundings and always keep my right hand in ready position if need be. I've just grown accustom to using two fingers to drive

I also hated the way the transmission would shift, awful feeling for a one owner 80k luxury car

oh and the inside doesnt look as luxurious and the navi looks old school. Def. not luxury for a mercedes. The keys however do look luxurious, thats about it. Performance in the ML350 was decent, but not as good as a Honda accord at times and not as good as a nissan altima I once had.

Also, the drivers seat was uncomfortable and stiff. Also made my left ankle hurt when driving long distance as there was little room for my left side. Quite cramp indeed for an SUV.

Hows the second row for adults?

If I buy the car at auction, would acura care still be available? I want to avoid 3rd party warranties like the plague and would rather have a acura bumper to bumper extended warranty.

I'd buy at a dealership but would rather own the car outright.

Based on these specs, whats a decent price to pay:

2009 Acura MDX Tech w/ Ent or Sport w. Ent. @ less than 75K Miles and in clean condition

I can throw down 15K and finance the rest but again, would prefer to find this car at a dealer auction; I just dont know any dealers in the area who can take me to one.

Thanks for your replies everyone. Look forward to being a new MDX'er and for a long time
__________________
2011 Pearl White MDX Advanced
... OEM towing, 20 mm wheel adapters,
... rails/crossbars, wheel well trim,
... side windows acrylic deflectors,
... Michelin Latitude Tour HP 275/45R19
2010 Acura TL Tech.
2001 Mercedes ML 320
2005 Mercedes ML 500 AMG Package
AC_MDX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2013, 10:42 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 4
So I'm not sure what your preference is coming from those Mercedes
__________________
casophylip is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2013, 11:49 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 25
I have a 2007 MDX.. I did my research.. I also have a 2003 Toyota highlander.. and before the MDX, I had a bmw X3.. I got the MDX because of the space for the second row.. I have 2 baby seats.. and I or any one else has no problems sitting comfortably on the back seat with the baby seats. I also tried putting the baby seats on the 3d row.. and both babies were quite comfortable. I have the tech/sport package without the entertainment option.. it helps on the highway if you have the option to change from sport to comfort.. gps, trizone air condition, 11 speaker audio, zagat ratings, etc etc etc.. the tech is amazing.. I really think that it will out perform the mercedes or the bmw x5 as far as comfort and options is concerned..
khundkar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2013, 12:07 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerRulez View Post
the one thing I didnt like about the ML350 is how heavy it was to keep straight. Even with wheel alignment, it made it a chore; I like driving with the tips of my 2 fingers, except when changing lanes and turning of course. The Routan I have is light and holding it steady with two fingers is quite easy. I am a lazy driver, dont like putting much effort when driving long distances. Dont take that to mean that I am an unsafe driver, Im always aware of my surroundings and always keep my right hand in ready position if need be. I've just grown accustom to using two fingers to drive

I also hated the way the transmission would shift, awful feeling for a one owner 80k luxury car

oh and the inside doesnt look as luxurious and the navi looks old school. Def. not luxury for a mercedes. The keys however do look luxurious, thats about it. Performance in the ML350 was decent, but not as good as a Honda accord at times and not as good as a nissan altima I once had.

Also, the drivers seat was uncomfortable and stiff. Also made my left ankle hurt when driving long distance as there was little room for my left side. Quite cramp indeed for an SUV.

Hows the second row for adults?

If I buy the car at auction, would acura care still be available? I want to avoid 3rd party warranties like the plague and would rather have a acura bumper to bumper extended warranty.

I'd buy at a dealership but would rather own the car outright.

Based on these specs, whats a decent price to pay:

2009 Acura MDX Tech w/ Ent or Sport w. Ent. @ less than 75K Miles and in clean condition

I can throw down 15K and finance the rest but again, would prefer to find this car at a dealer auction; I just dont know any dealers in the area who can take me to one.

Thanks for your replies everyone. Look forward to being a new MDX'er and for a long time

I have the 07 MDX Elite (sports) and it handles great for an SUV. I have driven one without ADS and it handles good but not as good as sports. Plus Sports give you an option to select Comfort or Sport modes.

I would not worry much about buying extended warranty for MDX. They are very reliable.
__________________
07 Elite Black/Biege
08 BMW 550i
03 Touring Midnight Blue (SOLD)
luxcar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2013, 01:58 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 17
Anyone know an auto dealer willing to take me to a dealer auction so that I can find this car at one?

If not, what would be a good price to pay for the 09 MDX sport/ent or tech/ent with no more than 75k and certified preowned (plus acura extended care warranty) at a dealer? Anyone here interested in selling theirs?

Wife is drilling me and wants to buy a GL but I would rather have the MDX (GL is bigger and might be a bit more comfortable but performance wise and interior look wise, I dont like it. Basically just a bigger ML, no thanks) and I already bought her the routan.
HomerRulez is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2013, 10:10 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Chicago
Posts: 3,307
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerRulez View Post
Anyone know an auto dealer willing to take me to a dealer auction so that I can find this car at one?
Most dealers won't do that. Just look at listings on sites like Autotrader.com which include dealer listings and private listings. Right now they have 444 listings of 2009 MDXs for sale nationwide, so I'm sure you can find what you're looking for.
__________________
Click here to see what phins2rt says.
nsxtasy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Random Question

Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:48 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.3.2
Copyright 2000-2010 MDXers.org. All Rights Reserved.