Headlight low beam not bright enough? - Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums
Register Home Forums Active Topics Auto Loans Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance
MDXers.org is the premier Acura MDX Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 01-07-2013, 07:34 PM   #1 (permalink)

Headlight low beam not bright enough?

I ALWAYS feel that the low beam of my 07 is not bright enough. But I also always thought that it is due to the fact that the bulb is not bright enough. However, a few days earlier I actually stared at the headlight in the night from various distances in front of the car. I noticed that when I stood close to the car, the headlight was not very bright. But when I stood far away from the car, the headlight was VERY bright. So the problem seems to be that MDX sends most of the light too far and wasted the light. I am wondering if there is a way to re-focus the light to be closer to the car? If anybody can teach me how, that will be really helpful.
qqzj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2013, 07:48 PM   #2 (permalink)
Fab

I don't think you can refocus the lights on the 2nd gen MDX. since it's HID, its light output is determined by the shape of the projector itself. Now if you REALLY were dedicated to it, you can re-retrofit some new projectors off another car. but my guess is it wouldn't be worth it or you get similar results as now.
Old 01-07-2013, 09:40 PM   #3 (permalink)

I feel the same way.. I think the low beams are horrible.. I upgraded the fogs to 3000K hid fogs.. they are yellow.. but they help a little.. What I really want to do is change the glass of the fogs, and try projectors or something there.. that way it can light up the bottom part of the road.
khundkar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2013, 10:20 PM   #4 (permalink)

I upgraded the fogs to 4300k HID it lights up the road perfectly.
snaps01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2013, 10:22 PM   #5 (permalink)

I have a 2012 and thought the low beams are great.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App
tolson37 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2013, 10:34 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by qqzj View Post
I ALWAYS feel that the low beam of my 07 is not bright enough. But I also always thought that it is due to the fact that the bulb is not bright enough. However, a few days earlier I actually stared at the headlight in the night from various distances in front of the car. I noticed that when I stood close to the car, the headlight was not very bright. But when I stood far away from the car, the headlight was VERY bright. So the problem seems to be that MDX sends most of the light too far and wasted the light. I am wondering if there is a way to re-focus the light to be closer to the car? If anybody can teach me how, that will be really helpful.
You can upgrade your low beam bulbs. I changed my HID bulbs to 6K it's more brighter and a little bluish white. I also tried 5K first for a few months but I changed to 6K. I also have 6K HID on my fogs. 6K is the best for me. I swapped all the low beam bulbs (MADE IN JAPAN-brighter for me) and fogs HID (EBAY) all of my cars with 6K HID.
t-mdx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2013, 10:49 PM   #7 (permalink)

@t-mdx 6000k Hids are not brighter. The brightest you can get are 4300k or 5000k direct OEM Dot approved replacements. Aftermarket 5000k that are not dot approved and 6000k are strictly for look. I had 6000k low beams and fogs they sucked and I couldnt see nothing, after doing research I found out why. I am interested in trying the Sylvania 5000k approved OEM replacements to see the color difference. Did you try these 5000k's?
Old 01-07-2013, 11:02 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaps01 View Post
@t-mdx 6000k Hids are not brighter. The brightest you can get are 4300k or 5000k direct OEM Dot approved replacements. Aftermarket 5000k that are not dot approved and 6000k are strictly for look. I had 6000k low beams and fogs they sucked and I couldnt see nothing, after doing research I found out why. I am interested in trying the Sylvania 5000k approved OEM replacements to see the color difference. Did you try these 5000k's?
My low beam 6K is brighter compared to my old OEM. It's Japan Made bulb not the China made cheap bulbs. I've tried Sylvania HID D2S it's more yellow than the OE. Only last less than a year. I've used 5000K and 6000K wre all MADE in JAPAN different brands.
Old 01-07-2013, 11:11 PM   #9 (permalink)

Google any HID spectrum and lumen outputs for both 4300k, 5000k, and 6000k. You'll see what I'm talking about. BTW Phillips is the OEM Manufacturer for not only Acura, but Lexus, BMW, Mercedes, Audi, and Jaguar. Also the Sylvania Xenarc 5000k OEM dot approved replacements are also made in Germany. Chinese and Japanese are cheap replacments and are not approved. Sorry
Old 01-07-2013, 11:24 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaps01 View Post
Google any HID spectrum and lumen outputs for both 4300k, 5000k, and 6000k. You'll see what I'm talking about. BTW Phillips is the OEM Manufacturer for not only Acura, but Lexus, BMW, Mercedes, Audi, and Jaguar. Also the Sylvania Xenarc 5000k OEM dot approved replacements are also made in Germany. Chinese and Japanese are cheap replacments and are not approved. Sorry
The Lumens..Kelvin Temperature or whatever they called it...has been a topic on this forum for a long time..DOT approved or not..I was not pull over because of my low beams were brighter. (knock on wood)
Old 01-08-2013, 01:14 AM   #11 (permalink)

You werent pulled over because your 6000k Japanese aftermarket HID bulbs are not bright enough. Here's your first lesson: Lumens is the amount of light output. Kelvin is the temprature of the bulbs. The higher the temp the lower the light output. I'm sure you dont want to hear this but unfortunately its true. But as long as you like your lights and can see, its all that matters. But facts are facts. No hard feelings.
Old 01-08-2013, 08:48 AM   #12 (permalink)

The higher the temperature, the less the actual light output.. 4300K is the closest to OEM white light.. the higher you go up temperature, it will start to give a blueish tint, then purple at 10k...
khundkar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2013, 10:27 AM   #13 (permalink)

The MDX uses different HID bulbs than the Acura TL, which has brighter output on the road (regardless of the MDX higher stand). I find the MDX HID output light average compared to other SUV's that I have owned, so there is room for improvement.

I would get the D2S Osram Xenarc 66240 CBI, which is almost twice the lumen output of the MDX OEM bulbs.

The latter bulbs should work pretty good on the MDX since the MDX has projector lenses and beam cut-off features, and as long as you don't modify the projector elevation, they should work fine and the light output will be similar to many other vehicles brands with brighter HID light output.

The CBI's are hard to get though...

AC
... side windows acrylic deflectors,
... Michelin Latitude Tour HP 275/45R19
2010 Acura TL Tech.
2001 Mercedes ML 320
2005 Mercedes ML 500 AMG Package
AC_MDX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2013, 11:29 AM   #14 (permalink)

I replaced my low beam with

.: IPF Baltia :.
Old 01-08-2013, 12:00 PM   #15 (permalink)

They look nice but there are no specs with the lumen output for those bulbs. Do you know what is the lumen output?

AC

Quote:
Originally Posted by t-mdx View Post
I replaced my low beam with

.: IPF Baltia :.
... side windows acrylic deflectors,
... Michelin Latitude Tour HP 275/45R19
2010 Acura TL Tech.
2001 Mercedes ML 320
2005 Mercedes ML 500 AMG Package
AC_MDX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Random Question

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: