Change tire pressure to display in psi? - Page 2 - Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums
Register Home Forums Active Topics Auto Loans Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance
MDXers.org is the premier Acura MDX Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 01-06-2013, 08:02 PM   #16 (permalink)

Thanks gang. Yes, I live in a metric world but I grew up on non-metric standards for half of my measurements!

So Tire pressure is at 32 psi for the MDX? I never really looked at it as the X is dealership serviced so always left it up to them. Maybe I should check it soon, thanks.

And thanks for conversion reminder. MDX shows kpa and gas station tire inflator shows psi
mealto is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2013, 08:18 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mealto View Post
So Tire pressure is at 32 psi for the MDX? I never really looked at it as the X is dealership serviced so always left it up to them. Maybe I should check it soon, thanks.
Yes, 32 psi is the pressure recommended by Acura/Honda in the owner's manual. It's also usually shown on the driver's side door jamb. At least, it is on US-market cars.

As always, pressure should be measured and set "cold" (with the car having sat for several hours out of the sun at around the normal outside temperature for that time of year).
Old 01-06-2013, 09:44 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mealto View Post
I never really looked at it as the X is dealership serviced so always left it up to them.
I'm afraid I have to point out that this isn't a very good idea. A lot of dealerships don't set the pressure correctly. Even if they do, temperatures change and tires slowly lose air over time, so you need to keep up with those changes.

I hope you're not using the same approach to checking your oil and other fluids.
lion9mdx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2013, 11:43 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lion9mdx View Post
I'm afraid I have to point out that this isn't a very good idea. A lot of dealerships don't set the pressure correctly. Even if they do, temperatures change and tires slowly lose air over time, so you need to keep up with those changes.

I hope you're not using the same approach to checking your oil and other fluids.
Why yes. Dealership takes care of all fluids. This has served well over the years. If you don't trust your dealership, find another dealership or shop? Lol

I do check pressure about once every 2 months and equalize them. Never tried to set it exactly at 32. I try to keep them a little higher to try and get the most mileage out of them. Find performance is still good at 36-38. Will drop to 32 and see thx.
Old 01-07-2013, 01:19 AM   #20 (permalink)

I mean switching from kilo pascals to psi. Wow, that Physics class did come in handy! lol
Old 01-07-2013, 07:00 AM   #21 (permalink)

I check fluids for the first couple of thousand miles. If nothing drops, I never look again. I used to check on a regular basis, but haven't had to add anything since the late 80's. So, after awhile I quit checking.
Bill_de is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2013, 09:45 AM   #22 (permalink)

It's a good idea to check the oil level once in a while. On a newer car, it might not change at all. But as a car piles up miles - particularly after it crosses 100K miles - it can start to consume oil, and the rate of consumption can accelerate over time. If it's using, say, a quart every 2000 miles, which is not considered excessive, and you change your oil every 7500 miles as recommended in the manual, between oil changes your oil level can drop low enough for your engine to seize. The low oil warning light should come on to warn you, but it may not do so before damage occurs.

My MDX is not using much oil right now, but I still check my oil level every 1000 miles and I keep track of it in a spreadsheet so I know about how much it is consuming and when I will need to add more. When I had a car that was using a fair amount of oil I was checking it with every gas tank fillup.
Old 01-07-2013, 10:42 AM   #23 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsxtasy View Post
My MDX is not using much oil right now, but I still check my oil level every 1000 miles and I keep track of it in a spreadsheet so I know about how much it is consuming and when I will need to add more. When I had a car that was using a fair amount of oil I was checking it with every gas tank fillup.
We are certainly at opposite ends of this spectrum.

I guess if I drove enough to put over 50,000 miles on a car I would start checking oil again.
Bill_de is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2013, 10:53 AM   #24 (permalink)

New cars with under 50K miles shouldn't consume oil, and if they do, any problems are usually covered by the warranty. So damaging the engine and spending several thousand dollars to rebuild or replace it isn't a concern.

Cars with over 100K miles often consume oil, and in most cases, if the engine incurs damage from lack of oil, there's a good chance you're going to have to pay several thousand dollars to rebuild or replace it.

So yes, the circumstances are different for new cars than for older, higher-mileage cars.
Old 01-07-2013, 04:38 PM   #25 (permalink)

It may be a good idea to check oil on an older vehicle but like @Bill_de, I don't check my levels regularly. That is what you pay the dealership for to bring it back when the Oil % says so no? lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: