Battery 2008 MDX - Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums
Register Home Forums Active Topics Auto Loans Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance
MDXers.org is the premier Acura MDX Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 12-31-2012, 11:49 AM   #1 (permalink)

Battery 2008 MDX

Battery in my 2008 just died overnight. Anyone used a AGM replacement? Any problems with using one of these rather than lead-acid one? Thanks, Mike
mgedit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2013, 01:24 AM   #2 (permalink)

Replaced my factory OEM battery last March (lasted almost 8 years!) with an Odyssey 34R PC. It's the exact same battery as the Sears Platinum P-1, except the terminals are reversed. Both batteries are made by Enersys, and have the highest cold crank rating of 850CCA. When I installed the battery, it needed a bottom spacer to fit properly. I went over to Sears, and, sure enough, they had several sitting in a discard pile that fit the bottom of their P-1 Platinums. Snapped right to the bottom of my new Odyssey. As I said, it's the exact same battery as the P-1, except with the reversed terminals.

I keep my car at the airport for extended intervals, and the old battery was barely able to start car after 3 weeks. I fired my X up the other morning at 3F with no problem. It was parked at the airport for about a month. The car fired right up as if it had been in my garage overnight. Impressive!

I ordered mine from Batteries Plus for $280. Delivered to my local store in 3 days. You can also order the bottom spacer for about $10, but the ones they throw away at Sears are the factory part from Enersys. Save your money.

I am totally satisfied with Odyssey AGM.
Neo ProLink iPod Adapter
Parrot CK3000 Evolution Bluetooth
highcountrymdx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2013, 07:52 AM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks. I decided to go with a AGM, and so far so good, and even on the static charge it came with started first go at -30 a couple of days ago. I was concerned if any changes had to be made to the charging system settings, but it seems not. Cheers, Mike
mgedit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2013, 09:15 AM   #4 (permalink)

My 2009 (bought January 2009), had the battery replaced in January 2011. The other day while at Walgreens, I ran in to pick up a prescription. The wife stayed in the MDX with the engine off but the key in the ignition - I was in Walgreens less than 15 minutes - when I came out I tried starting and got the dreaded click-click-click. The battery was so dead the dash lights would hardly light up and after getting a jump, the Navigation had losts its code. I contacted my local Acura dealer and was told I would need to pay $49.95 to run a battery test and if it found the battery to be bad, they would warranty it and refund the $49.95 fee. If the test showed it NOT to be the battery, I would simply be out the $49.95. I opt'd not to do it, as I can buy a new battery at Sams or Costco for $70.00 I was also a bit perflexed by the service advisor saying that 15 minutes without the engine on is not abnormal for the battery to drain because of the amount of draw the electronics are for the MDX. I call BS on that. Had I known that was a fact, I wouldn't be an Acura owner. Ironically, the battery if it were to be warrantied today, would only carry a 1 day warranty per Acura since the battery only carries the same warranty as the original vehicle (I took delivery 3 years ago tomorrow). To me, that is not a high end warranty.
domano is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2013, 10:30 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by highcountrymdx View Post
Replaced my factory OEM battery last March (lasted almost 8 years!) with an Odyssey 34R PC.
I ordered mine from Batteries Plus for $280.
If you want to go with an Odyssey battery, you can get them much cheaper by ordering from Portable Power Systems. They are also very helpful if you have any service type questions. I used one on my seldom-driven sports car (I also used a battery maintainer) and it lasted a long, long time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by domano View Post
My 2009 (bought January 2009), had the battery replaced in January 2011. The other day while at Walgreens, I ran in to pick up a prescription. The wife stayed in the MDX with the engine off but the key in the ignition - I was in Walgreens less than 15 minutes - when I came out I tried starting and got the dreaded click-click-click. The battery was so dead the dash lights would hardly light up and after getting a jump, the Navigation had losts its code. I contacted my local Acura dealer and was told I would need to pay $49.95 to run a battery test and if it found the battery to be bad, they would warranty it and refund the $49.95 fee. If the test showed it NOT to be the battery, I would simply be out the $49.95. I opt'd not to do it, as I can buy a new battery at Sams or Costco for $70.00
Wow, I would have had them do it, absolutely! It's likely that the battery needs replacing, and if that turns out to be true, you get it done for free.

I assume you jumped it and it's running? If it keeps starting okay, great. If it fails to start again, I'd take it to the dealer and take the chance they replace it for free.

Quote:
Ironically, the battery if it were to be warrantied today, would only carry a 1 day warranty per Acura since the battery only carries the same warranty as the original vehicle (I took delivery 3 years ago tomorrow).
Not true. When you get an Acura replacement battery (as you did in 2011), it comes with a 100-month warranty; provisions include free replacement during the first three years, and pro-rated replacement after that. If your dealer told you otherwise, they're wrong.
Old 01-04-2013, 10:48 AM   #6 (permalink)

Just checked Portable Power systems, and they are selling the 34R-PC1500 Odyssey for $296.58, delivered. My local Batteries Plus price was about $280, and I am dealing with a local store for returns, warranty, etc.
Neo ProLink iPod Adapter
Old 01-04-2013, 10:59 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by highcountrymdx View Post
Just checked Portable Power systems, and they are selling the 34R-PC1500 Odyssey for $296.58, delivered. My local Batteries Plus price was about $280, and I am dealing with a local store for returns, warranty, etc.
Great!

I found their pricing was much better when I compared, oh well. It always pays to shop around. Take into account sales tax and shipping when comparing prices, and take into account other advantages like the ones you mentioned.

I think the Odyssey is a good choice for a situation like yours, where the car sits undriven for weeks at a time, especially if it's sitting in a place where you can't plug in a battery maintainer. For most of us who drive our cars regularly, the Kirkland battery sold at Costco is a great deal.
Old 01-06-2013, 12:15 AM   #8 (permalink)

Why would you pay $200+ for a battery? My previous Bosch battery lasted more than 7 years already on my Camry and it only cost me 70 bucks. I won't spend more than 100 for a battery. It is just not some rocket science product.
qqzj is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2013, 01:27 AM   #9 (permalink)

I always loved the line in the movie "Pretty Woman", where Richard Gere's character is asked why he stays in the penthouse suite. He answers, simply, "Because it's the best!"

I have a feeling a lesser battery might not start a car that has been parked for 4 weeks, as mine was, and is. One of the characteristics of an AGM battery is that it maintains its charge over a longer periods of inactivity, vis a vis a conventional flooded lead acid battery. Additionally, I was attracted to the AGM format due to its greater energy density, specifically a superior CCA rating (ie, 880 CCA) rather than the OEM 550CCA, or the conventional high end rating of about 700CCA. Couple the high CCA with an incredible 135 minutes reserve capacity, and the $280 price started looking better and better to me.

The Odyssey AGM battery's other notable traits are its superior resistance to vibration and heat failure modes, along with the design's exceptional cold climate performance.

A battery is the one critical system in your car that has no backup. Got a flat tire, you've got a spare. Not so with your battery.

I certainly can understand someone's calculus of pricing a car's spare parts. For me, in this special case, a $280 battery makes sense.

"It's the best!"
Neo ProLink iPod Adapter
Old 01-06-2013, 09:33 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by qqzj View Post
Why would you pay $200+ for a battery?
As noted above, a conventional, less expensive battery won't start an MDX that has been sitting for four weeks, so you'd be stranded and have to call for a jump. That's not an issue for the Odyssey.

And the Odyssey WILL last several times longer than a conventional battery, so if you plan to keep your MDX for many years to come, it may not be any more expensive.

If YOU don't let your car sit unstarted for extended periods, then YOU might not need one. That's why they make different products, because different folks have different needs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by qqzj View Post
My previous Bosch battery lasted more than 7 years already on my Camry and it only cost me 70 bucks.
And that's on a Camry, which is a totally different vehicle. It's pretty unusual for a battery to last 7 years on an MDX, even one that's driven regularly. My 2004 MDX is now on its fourth battery.
Old 01-06-2013, 10:25 AM   #11 (permalink)

[Not true. When you get an Acura replacement battery (as you did in 2011), it comes with a 100-month warranty; provisions include free replacement during the first three years, and pro-rated replacement after that. If your dealer told you otherwise, they're wrong.]

I argued that exact point with the Service Manager at Continental Acura and was told because it was under warranty and that I was not paying for it, it would only fall under the existing 3 year warranty. My comment was if I had a battery issue for the first time at the end of the warranty, it would only be warrantied until the end of 3 years. It make no sense what so ever.

As of right now, my battery is working. No repeat issues, but we aren't using anything electronic without the MDX on. A bit nervous to try it again. I've become less and less pro-Acura these days as everytime I do go to the dealership, it's all about the money. The 2009 was my last Acura (and I was replacing it annually).
Old 01-06-2013, 05:43 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
I argued that exact point with the Service Manager at Continental Acura and was told because it was under warranty and that I was not paying for it, it would only fall under the existing 3 year warranty. My comment was if I had a battery issue for the first time at the end of the warranty, it would only be warrantied until the end of 3 years. It make no sense what so ever.
If and when you need to do something about the battery, go to a different dealer. If they don't give you satisfaction, then call customer service at Acura HQ.

EDIT: I did a little research on this, and found that one discussion on another forum says that Acura changed their policy such that, a battery replaced under warranty does not come with its own warranty (IOW does not "restart the warranty clock") and instead only carries whatever warranty was remaining from the previous battery. (I'd still go to a different dealership, though; see below. But for the battery warranty issue, it may not help.)

Quote:
I've become less and less pro-Acura these days as everytime I do go to the dealership, it's all about the money.
It's unfortunate that one bad dealer service department can cause you to react this way against the entire brand, because the problem really is with the dealership, not the entire brand. The level of service at Continental Acura is, well, just not at all customer-focused, to put it politely. By way of contrast, I've experienced outstanding service at Muller's Woodfield Acura in Hoffman Estates, and also very good service at Pauly Acura in Highland Park.

There are ten dealers in the Chicago area to choose from. You really need to take your car to a different dealer. (For non-warranty service work, you can also take it to an independent mechanic.)
Old 01-07-2013, 06:20 AM   #13 (permalink)

"EDIT: I did a little research on this, and found that one discussion on another forum says that Acura changed their policy such that, a battery replaced under warranty does not come with its own warranty (IOW does not "restart the warranty clock") and instead only carries whatever warranty was remaining from the previous battery. (I'd still go to a different dealership, though; see below. But for the battery warranty issue, it may not help.)"

I cannot think of ANY product with a warranty that starts the warranty new when that product is replaced under warranty. The original warranty is all that is provided.

I am sure that someone can find an exception to this but it will be rare.

George
Old 01-07-2013, 09:19 AM   #14 (permalink)

It's my overall dissatisfaction with Acura in General - I have many of the same complaints that are posted here from many. It's not so much Continental Acura as it is the quality of a nearly $50K vehicles. Lexus never once questioned anything when I took my vehicle in. And I can't think of one item that is covered under warranty that would not carry a minimum of 1 year - most get extended to the end of the remaining warranty or one year, whichever is longer. I just took a hard drive to best buy that had a one year warranty - it died at month 11. Guess what? the new one has another year. In my opinion, it is very poor for a company for something as simple as a battery to not have a warranty of a minimum of one year. While many of my complaints, like others, are trivial at best, they shouldn't be appearing on a luxury SUV - A/C issues, rear cup holder, power steering pump (this one amazes me that people aren't complaining more about - they are replacing the power steering pumps with the exact same pump - no new design, no changes - the same percentage of failure rates as the original ones - the same percentage will have the issues).
Old 01-07-2013, 06:45 PM   #15 (permalink)

I am still using the original battery in my 07 MDX. That is why I like this car so much!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsxtasy View Post

And that's on a Camry, which is a totally different vehicle. It's pretty unusual for a battery to last 7 years on an MDX, even one that's driven regularly. My 2004 MDX is now on its fourth battery.
qqzj is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Random Question

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: