2013 MDX steering wheel too light - Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums
Register Home Forums Active Topics Auto Loans Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance
MDXers.org is the premier Acura MDX Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 1.00 average.
Old 12-26-2012, 12:58 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 48
2013 MDX steering wheel too light

just got my MDX base 2013 days ago, now I start to feel the steering wheel is way too soft, I did drive some 08-09 model which is pretty decent.

I just can't understand why Honda doing this, this make the car like a toyota

damn it, I miss my BMW

fortunately, this is my wife's car and I will only drive it when I go with family.
I have my mini cooper S still as commuter.
opticspen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 12-26-2012, 01:28 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered User
 
symmetrical's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Livermore, CA
Posts: 274
Eh, I have a 2008 and yes the steering is a lot harder. I'm getting sick of it. When I just want to have a relaxing cruise or when I'm tired, a tough steering wheel is just that more annoying. I sure wouldn't mind a 2010 and up just for this reason now.
__________________
2008 Billet Silver MDX w/ 2010 front conversion
2008 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport (Wife's)
2003 Nissan 350Z TT (Retired Garage Queen)
symmetrical is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2012, 02:23 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 48
damn, it's true that everyone has different preference.

the annoying thing is when you turn you will feel it's almost has no way to know when it's cars limit, and feel really unconfident.

when I turn my Mini and BMW, I know exactly how hard I turn before I feel from the road and car body swing.
opticspen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2012, 07:24 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 124
I also like heavier steering but the #1 complaint people had about the X5s when I had them was heavy steering. Go figure.

The newer BMWs with electronic steering do not seem much different than the MDX to me (mine is a 2011). When I drove the new 5 series, the steering felt light and non-involved. Sadly electronic steering is going to end up in every car in the next few years.
MnMDXDave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2012, 09:53 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 615
Quote:
Originally Posted by opticspen View Post
damn, it's true that everyone has different preference.

the annoying thing is when you turn you will feel it's almost has no way to know when it's cars limit, and feel really unconfident.
Agree with both. Wife absolutely loves the MDX steering...but she also liked the super light steering in her previous '11 Sienna Ltd. Now if you want to compare the two...the MDX steering is a DREAM compared to the Sienna! Her biggest complaint of her '05 Honda Odyssey? Heavy steering! For a van, that one actually drove pretty damn good. I only drive the MDX on weekends and usually highway and it's comfortable there. It probably annoys guys like us that daily-drive better performing vehicles and then jump into the MDX where you really notice it. Happy wife happy life.
__________________
'12 MDX Tech
skinny2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2012, 10:17 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Casique's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: VA
Posts: 432
My 2009 has great steering feel and crappy transmission. I test drove a 2013 and hated the noodle loose steering and loved the transmision.....
__________________
2014 MDX AWD Tech
2006 Volvo C70 T5
2011 Street Glide
Previous MDX
2001
2003
2009
Casique is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2012, 10:40 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Chicago
Posts: 3,004
Quote:
Originally Posted by opticspen View Post
just got my MDX base 2013 days ago, now I start to feel the steering wheel is way too soft, I did drive some 08-09 model which is pretty decent.
Quote:
Originally Posted by symmetrical View Post
I have a 2008 and yes the steering is a lot harder. I'm getting sick of it. When I just want to have a relaxing cruise or when I'm tired, a tough steering wheel is just that more annoying. I sure wouldn't mind a 2010 and up just for this reason now.
You two should just trade cars with each other, and then you'd both be happy.
__________________
Click here to see what phins2rt says.
nsxtasy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2012, 11:41 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 25
Are you guys sure you have problems with too light or too heavy steering feel and not how SH-AWD does its work? Sometimes when I go from our M5 to MDX, I become accustomed to the higher level of effort it takes make the M5 rotate.

The MDX's steering features torque sensing variable power assist as a function of speed and engine rpm. IMHO, the MDX is great in steering linearity, response, and stability and ok in precsion (needs firmer bushings). Although the MDX isn't a sports car, I do tend to treat it as a performance vehicle and enjoy it as much as the M5. Acura engineers spent a lot of time honing the chassis on the Nurburgring and optimizing steering quality was part of the process.
__________________
www.r-americagroup.com | info@r-americagroup.com | 918.394.0109

Honda & Acura Specialists
r-americagroup is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2012, 03:43 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 1,116
My '11 has the loosest steering of any of the cars (around 15 new ones) I have ever owned. I still can't say I like it, but I have gotten used to it. The idea of variable assist is to give consistent feel at any speed, not to make the steering loosy, goosy
Bill_de is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2012, 04:54 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 48
that's for people never drive BMW before

I had E46 with M sports package, with that you know what's is still hard! and what's the heavy feel of steering.

X5 for me is just fine, not heavy at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MnMDXDave View Post
I also like heavier steering but the #1 complaint people had about the X5s when I had them was heavy steering. Go figure.

The newer BMWs with electronic steering do not seem much different than the MDX to me (mine is a 2011). When I drove the new 5 series, the steering felt light and non-involved. Sadly electronic steering is going to end up in every car in the next few years.
opticspen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2012, 04:57 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Tyler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Manchester, New Hampshire
Posts: 234
You are aware that the MiniCoopers are a rebadge by some the British Motor Company, only the true mini coopers are good.
Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2012, 04:59 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 48
you must have a luxury version of M5, I didn't own an M5 before, maybe it's because of the electric pump?

Quote:
Originally Posted by r-americagroup View Post
Are you guys sure you have problems with too light or too heavy steering feel and not how SH-AWD does its work? Sometimes when I go from our M5 to MDX, I become accustomed to the higher level of effort it takes make the M5 rotate.

The MDX's steering features torque sensing variable power assist as a function of speed and engine rpm. IMHO, the MDX is great in steering linearity, response, and stability and ok in precsion (needs firmer bushings). Although the MDX isn't a sports car, I do tend to treat it as a performance vehicle and enjoy it as much as the M5. Acura engineers spent a lot of time honing the chassis on the Nurburgring and optimizing steering quality was part of the process.
opticspen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2012, 05:01 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 48
anyway, one of my friends mentioned to me that there is after market kit to stiffen the steering wheel, is there anyone knows that?
opticspen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2012, 06:19 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 615
Quote:
Originally Posted by r-americagroup View Post
Are you guys sure you have problems with too light or too heavy steering feel and not how SH-AWD does its work? Sometimes when I go from our M5 to MDX, I become accustomed to the higher level of effort it takes make the M5 rotate.
When I say light, i'm referring to the amount of effort required to turn the wheel and the response you get at speed. Obviously light effort at parking speeds is fine, but at higher speeds I would prefer a much lower input to response. It also does not come across as linear through the speeds....take a high-speed cloverleaf exit and as you're dropping speed around the turn the steering gets lighter at a much faster speed than you expect. It's not as obvious if you're bleeding speed fast before a turn...but if you're dropping speed and turning at the same time it doesn't impress me at all.

Clearly these are designed for people that aren't hot-lapping their SUV's...which is probably a good thing. Very tight and reponsive steering on an SUV can cause problems in a hurry for the average un-trained driver. I have no doubts customers have complained...the Odyssey took a performance hit on the latest re-design as well...as have many Hondas actually. Nissan is even starting down this path it appears. Everything is about gas mileage and volume sales!
__________________
'12 MDX Tech
skinny2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2012, 08:29 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by opticspen View Post
you must have a luxury version of M5, I didn't own an M5 before, maybe it's because of the electric pump?
There is no luxury version of the M5. An M5 could have been optioned with certain convenience features but there is no version of an e39 M5 that is specified as "luxury."

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinny2 View Post
When I say light, i'm referring to the amount of effort required to turn the wheel and the response you get at speed. Obviously light effort at parking speeds is fine, but at higher speeds I would prefer a much lower input to response.
This is exactly what the torque sensing variable assist rack and pinion steering system does: light at low speeds and more effort at highway speeds. The MDX's steering ratio is 17:1 to the X5's 19.5:1. The MDX, inherently, is lighter. However, when loaded under cornering it's still fairly communicative.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinny2 View Post
It also does not come across as linear through the speeds....take a high-speed cloverleaf exit and as you're dropping speed around the turn the steering gets lighter at a much faster speed than you expect. It's not as obvious if you're bleeding speed fast before a turn...but if you're dropping speed and turning at the same time it doesn't impress me at all.
Again, this is an example of the variable assist steering. As you drop speed and RPM, the steering becomes lighter. If you're trailbraking into a clover leaf/corner, that's an ideal time to rely on the SH-AWD system to pull you through the corner. Acura engineers chose the X5 as the standard to measure against, and IMHO (as we obviously have different experiences and opinions) the MDX is superior in linearity (across the RPM range), equal in feedback, but trails in precision.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinny2 View Post
Clearly these are designed for people that aren't hot-lapping their SUV's...which is probably a good thing. Very tight and reponsive steering on an SUV can cause problems in a hurry for the average un-trained driver. I have no doubts customers have complained...the Odyssey took a performance hit on the latest re-design as well...as have many Hondas actually. Nissan is even starting down this path it appears. Everything is about gas mileage and volume sales!
Actually, the chassis, suspension, and entire driving dynamics were honed on the Nurburgring - the toughest track in the world. At it's very core, the MDX is a performance SUV. Because of it's variable assist function, the MDX's steering is responsive and linear at every speed range. In my experience, a company doesn't spend the time and effort to optimize their product in a particularly tough way because of penny pinching. In fact, that Acura went through great lengths to meet or exceed the driving dynamics of it's euro competitors is evidence of this.
__________________
www.r-americagroup.com | info@r-americagroup.com | 918.394.0109

Honda & Acura Specialists
r-americagroup is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:45 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.3.2
Copyright 2000-2010 MDXers.org. All Rights Reserved.