2012 Tech - Having Shaking Problems - Page 3 - Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums
Register Home Forums Active Topics Auto Loans Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance
MDXers.org is the premier Acura MDX Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 01-10-2013, 03:21 PM   #31 (permalink)

Just got off the phone with the dealer and he said its going to be another week. If they don't fix this on the next phone call, I am returning the car!
newyork326 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-15-2013, 01:45 AM   #32 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by newyork326 View Post
Just got off the phone with the dealer and he said its going to be another week. If they don't fix this on the next phone call, I am returning the car!
Thanks for the update. Please keep us posted. I am definitely interested in the outcome in case I go that route
zmanH2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2013, 09:25 AM   #33 (permalink)

Well the dealer has not gotten back to me since my last update and I got impatient yesterday and called Acura Care and filed a claim with them. After some time on the phone it was made clear to me that Acura as a whole was out of the picture on this one... it was up to the dealer legally and ethically to do the right thing. The dealership kept telling me that they had to bring Acrua in to do this, but after talking with Acrua, they made it very clear that the only thing they would do is call the dealership and try to assist me in getting this solved. So now I get to fight the dealer! Hopefully I get a call this week, I am about sick of driving a 50k dollar SUV that shakes!!!
Old 01-18-2013, 03:04 PM   #34 (permalink)

Document everything. I did the lemon law with a 2008 ford escape bought brand new. What happened was eventually my lemon lawyer agreed a settlement with ford which meant essentially ford paid off for the vehicle. Now the problem i had was a "noise" that they just couldnt fix, i decided to live with it and had no car payments. worked out - eventually i traded that up for a new MDX because it started to rust!! Good luck.

Which dealer is it so we all know?

(Im in NJ so can message you the lemon law lawyers details if you need to contact them.)
flnycus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2013, 04:01 PM   #35 (permalink)

So what you are telling me is that you basically got a free car b/c of a noise? Why would Ford just give you a brand new Escape? Please elaborate.

Also I am not going to disclose the dealership until after this situation is resolved b/c I don't want to shoot myself in the foot.

Thanks

Will

Quote:
Originally Posted by flnycus View Post
Document everything. I did the lemon law with a 2008 ford escape bought brand new. What happened was eventually my lemon lawyer agreed a settlement with ford which meant essentially ford paid off for the vehicle. Now the problem i had was a "noise" that they just couldnt fix, i decided to live with it and had no car payments. worked out - eventually i traded that up for a new MDX because it started to rust!! Good luck.

(Im in NJ so can message you the lemon law lawyers details if you need to contact them.)
Old 01-22-2013, 06:57 PM   #36 (permalink)

When you traded your 2008 Ford Escape vehicle, how did the lemon law applied to the trade-in value of your vehicle? Did the dealer gave you a normal trade-in value or a much reduced one?

AC

Quote:
Originally Posted by flnycus View Post

... side windows acrylic deflectors,
... Michelin Latitude Tour HP 275/45R19
2010 Acura TL Tech.
2001 Mercedes ML 320
2005 Mercedes ML 500 AMG Package
AC_MDX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2013, 02:15 PM   #37 (permalink)

Well I spent last Friday at the dealership for 3.5 hours fighting with the sales manager and test driving cars. I drove 8 MDX's 6 Tech's and 2 Advanced... All vibrated... some worse than others, but most of them felt as tho each tire had a flat spot and they were all in a different position on the tire (almost like I was riding on square wheels). This is seriously a bad problem that Acura needs to fix!!!
Old 01-31-2013, 02:27 PM   #38 (permalink)

Quote:
Well I spent last Friday at the dealership for 3.5 hours fighting with the sales manager and test driving cars. I drove 8 MDX's 6 Tech's and 2 Advanced... All vibrated... some worse than others, but most of them felt as tho each tire had a flat spot and they were all in a different position on the tire (almost like I was riding on square wheels). This is seriously a bad problem that Acura needs to fix!!!

As always, the devil is in the details of such posts/concerns.

1) If indeed it is due to flat spots - then:
(a) was this issue tested and validated on all the oem brand tires at the dealers or is it specific to one brand size of tire?
(b) did one check the tire pressure on all the tested vehicles to see how far they had dropped in cold weather sitting on the lot for x days?

2) Can someone videotape this vibration from the passenger side? Surely if there is vibration it should show up on the steering wheel right?

3) Has anyone contacted Acura HQ to see if the product engineers are aware of this (not the regional sales manager) and if there is technical service bulletin in the pipeline?

It can very well be real issue in the design of some models manufactured with certain types or a certain time window, and it could very well be (1) above.
Old 01-31-2013, 03:10 PM   #39 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/T-MDX View Post
3) Has anyone contacted Acura HQ to see if the product engineers are aware of this (not the regional sales manager) and if there is technical service bulletin in the pipeline?
The way that is normally done is through the dealer service department. They then contact "Techline", the service at Acura HQ which tracks and diagnoses problems.
Old 02-07-2013, 01:29 PM   #40 (permalink)

Ok... So here is the skinny on my MDX shaking situation: After driving all those MDX's I got in contact with the GM at the dealer and he has been helping this along. He has his people drive all their cars until they found one that didn't shake. He then scheduled a time for me to come down and drive/confirm it. He said that if all was good and I was happy that it was my new 2013 MDX no questions, no money out of pocket. I show up and we test drive my truck and it barely shakes (but he is un-phased, assume it is warm tires) we then drive the 2013 and it shakes like a bit*c as soon as we pull out of the lot.

So basically we decided that I would rather keep my (less shaking) MDX and move forward with getting it fixed. So that day they went ahead and put Nitrogen in the tires (and believe it or not) it helped alot... Like nearly fixed the problem. So this fix was done last Saturday, and I have been happy since.

So last night I get a call from the GM telling me that he is not done with this issue with my truck and he got Acura to buy me 4 new tires from the factory (never been on another car, so no flat spots) to replace mine and hopefully completely fix the shaking!

I am really happy with the GM and the care he is taking with me and my case. Will keep everyone updated once I get my truck back in the next day or 2.
Old 02-07-2013, 02:01 PM   #41 (permalink)

Good to hear that the dealer was engaged with you to resolve this.

While I don't have the issue you describe on my 2012, care to share what brand of tires you had and what brand they are giving you as new? Are those 18" or 19" wheels?
Old 02-07-2013, 06:22 PM   #42 (permalink)

Quote:
Ok... So here is the skinny on my MDX shaking situation: After driving all those MDX's I got in contact with the GM at the dealer and he has been helping this along. He has his people drive all their cars until they found one that didn't shake. He then scheduled a time for me to come down and drive/confirm it. He said that if all was good and I was happy that it was my new 2013 MDX no questions, no money out of pocket. I show up and we test drive my truck and it barely shakes (but he is un-phased, assume it is warm tires) we then drive the 2013 and it shakes like a bit*c as soon as we pull out of the lot.

So basically we decided that I would rather keep my (less shaking) MDX and move forward with getting it fixed. So that day they went ahead and put Nitrogen in the tires (and believe it or not) it helped alot... Like nearly fixed the problem. So this fix was done last Saturday, and I have been happy since.

So last night I get a call from the GM telling me that he is not done with this issue with my truck and he got Acura to buy me 4 new tires from the factory (never been on another car, so no flat spots) to replace mine and hopefully completely fix the shaking!

I am really happy with the GM and the care he is taking with me and my case. Will keep everyone updated once I get my truck back in the next day or 2.
Very interesting.....I've only had nitrogen in my tires since brand new and never once had any shaking/vibration. Always smooth at all speeds. I wonder if there's something to this or just coincidence.....or gremlins.

2012 Acura MDX Tech
Bali Blue/Taupe
Body side molding
Chrome side steps
Cargo cover
Wood grain shift knob
OEM hitch/wiring harness
TheJimbo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2013, 06:34 PM   #43 (permalink)

I can't understand why nitrogen would make a difference in vibrations.
Old 02-07-2013, 06:45 PM   #44 (permalink)
Super Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsxtasy View Post
I can't understand why nitrogen would make a difference in vibrations.
+1. Our air is already about 78% nitrogen.

02 Honda S2000 -- Berlina Black/Black
99 Acura RL -- Naples Gold Metallic/Parchment
12 Toyota Avalon Limited
phins2rt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2013, 07:02 PM   #45 (permalink)

Doesn't make sense unless there is a resonance frequency issue.

Maybe the pressure was different from before the nitrogen was added to the tires. If the tire pressure is different (or if the nitrogen expansion characteristics are different) then there may be a resonance factor in the tire/wheel/steering systems that when it gets at certain speed it amplifies the vibration.

So if that is the case, then just changing the air pressure will fix the problem for those cases that are not caused by defective tires and/or incorrect wheel/tire balancing. In my case, I had defective Michelin tires on my brand new MDX, and after replacing them for brand new tires, balancing them, and aligning the vehicle, I got rid of my problem. 49,000 miles and no vibrations.

When there is a resonance issue, the vibrations don't get cancelled but they accumulate and therefore the shaking increases potentially to very high levels. This will happen only at certain frequencies/speeds.
... side windows acrylic deflectors,
... Michelin Latitude Tour HP 275/45R19
2010 Acura TL Tech.
2001 Mercedes ML 320
2005 Mercedes ML 500 AMG Package
AC_MDX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Random Question

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: