HID's look like halogens - Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums
Register Home Forums Active Topics Auto Loans Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance
MDXers.org is the premier Acura MDX Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 12-11-2012, 02:15 AM   #1 (permalink)

Angry HID's look like halogens

Not sure if anyone else has or had this problem I have a 2010 MDX and my HID's first light up like nomral but warm to an almost yellowish tinge similar to halogens. Ive looked and at other MDX's 2007-2012 none of them look like mine. Would appreciate any insight anyone would have for this problem or anyone that has had experience with it. Thanks....
snaps01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-11-2012, 05:10 AM   #2 (permalink)

Did you buy new? HIDs are available in an assortment of color temps and might have been changed by a prior owner. This could have been due to a preference for a warmer glow, or the lights being damaged in a collision..
Bill_de is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2012, 10:52 AM   #3 (permalink)

I purchased the X certified in August, No Accidents as per carfax and very familiar with the dealership. Previous owner was an older gentlemen who leased highly doubt he changed the lights. I checked lights bulbs themselves, they are OEM.
Old 12-11-2012, 11:10 AM   #4 (permalink)

Acura's HID color temperature looks close to bright halogens (a tad yellowish). My wife's Acura TL HID's have a higher color temperature (whiter).

Have you measured the voltage on your battery while the engine is on(alternator charging the battery)? It should be around 13.6 volts. An indication of a low alternator charge on vehicles with halogens bulbs is a more orangy and dimmed light output because of the lower voltage across the filament. In the HID side, it will translate into a smaller high-voltage feeding the HID light bulbs, which may affect the color temperature.

Are all the ground cables correctly attached/cleaned? A bad ground always robs power to any device attached to them.

Just a thought...

AC
... side windows acrylic deflectors,
... Michelin Latitude Tour HP 275/45R19
2010 Acura TL Tech.
2001 Mercedes ML 320
2005 Mercedes ML 500 AMG Package
AC_MDX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2012, 02:13 PM   #5 (permalink)
Super Senior Member

Good info here:

The difference between 85122 and 85122+ - 8th Generation Honda Civic Forum

02 Honda S2000 -- Berlina Black/Black
99 Acura RL -- Naples Gold Metallic/Parchment
12 Toyota Avalon Limited
phins2rt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2012, 01:53 AM   #6 (permalink)

Hi. I bought new 2012 mdx tech/res last Monday.
my mdx have same problem like yours.
I felt how hid color look like halogens...
I will replace bright color hid soon...
loveapple is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2012, 06:44 AM   #7 (permalink)

I've noticed that looking at some 2010+. My 07 has a nice blue tint to it.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App
- Roof Rails & Cross Bars
- LED Lighting Upgrade
- Tri-Fold Cargo Tray
1tufgt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2012, 07:24 AM   #8 (permalink)

It appears that a lot of people associate color temperature with the type of technology in use. Anyone that can tell a halogen from an HID by looking into the headlights would be a rich and famous guy.
A halogen can be brighter than an HID and both types can vary in color temperature. Brightness, luminous output and useable light is what is important. The main advantage of an HID is when used in a well designed housing with a projector lens, it will produce approximately 3 times the amount of "useful" illumination for approximately half of the power.
A projector lens puts the light where you need it and negates the waste of dispersion.
Luminous output of an ultra violet light can be very high but if your eyes cannot see it then it does not do much good.
Our eyes have a biased efficiency around daylight Kelvin - 6500K.
Apparent light intensity reduces to the inverse square law so 10 times more light is required to appear twice as bright.
Wattage is a measurement of power and does not necessarily equate to brightness. Twice the wattage is not twice the brightness.
And lastly, color temperature is important for reduced visability conditions. 3400K is much better in fog which is why real foglights appear yellow.
There are hundreds of threads on forums regarding headlights but most of them serve as a science fallacy but a great marketing exercise.

2010 MDX Advance, Ent.
2005 RL
DB22 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2012, 09:58 AM   #9 (permalink)
Super Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1tufgt View Post
I've noticed that looking at some 2010+. My 07 has a nice blue tint to it.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App
The bulbs color shift over time turning more blue.

02 Honda S2000 -- Berlina Black/Black
99 Acura RL -- Naples Gold Metallic/Parchment
12 Toyota Avalon Limited
phins2rt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2012, 10:35 AM   #10 (permalink)

>
> Apparent light intensity reduces to the inverse square law so 10 times
> more light is required to appear twice as bright.
>

I think I heard you snoring in that physics class..

Lumens = IntensityOfLightSource/d^2

if you double the lumens, you just need to double the intensity of
the light source(and vice versa), if you maintain the same distance
as before.

Personally and color temperature wise, I like the 5000 Kelvin to 6000 Kelvin HID color temperature bulbs. 4300 Kelvin is too close to the halogens and have a yellow tint on the illuminated objects and on the road.

AC

Quote:
Originally Posted by DB22 View Post
It appears that a lot of people associate color temperature with the type of technology in use. Anyone that can tell a halogen from an HID by looking into the headlights would be a rich and famous guy.
A halogen can be brighter than an HID and both types can vary in color temperature. Brightness, luminous output and useable light is what is important. The main advantage of an HID is when used in a well designed housing with a projector lens, it will produce approximately 3 times the amount of "useful" illumination for approximately half of the power.
A projector lens puts the light where you need it and negates the waste of dispersion.
Luminous output of an ultra violet light can be very high but if your eyes cannot see it then it does not do much good.
Our eyes have a biased efficiency around daylight Kelvin - 6500K.
Apparent light intensity reduces to the inverse square law so 10 times more light is required to appear twice as bright.
Wattage is a measurement of power and does not necessarily equate to brightness. Twice the wattage is not twice the brightness.
And lastly, color temperature is important for reduced visability conditions. 3400K is much better in fog which is why real foglights appear yellow.
There are hundreds of threads on forums regarding headlights but most of them serve as a science fallacy but a great marketing exercise.
2010 Acura TL Tech.
2001 Mercedes ML 320
Old 12-12-2012, 11:36 AM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC_MDX View Post
>
Personally and color temperature wise, I like the 5000 Kelvin to 6000 Kelvin HID color temperature bulbs. 4300 Kelvin is too close to the halogens and have a yellow tint on the illuminated objects and on the road.

AC
I agree, I prefer the 5000K but the illumination of the road is actually better to a human at 4300. Blue is about the hardest color for the human to recognise.

2010 MDX Advance, Ent.
2005 RL
DB22 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2012, 02:02 PM   #12 (permalink)

Agreed. Depth perception and focusing is bad with blue color and we have a lot less blue cones on our fovea(high resolution area) than the red/green cones though the blue cones are very sensitive and we amplify the blue color in our color perception processes.

Since our eyes are calibrated to the Sun spectrum (5000K to 6000K) colors will be more natural at the 5000K-6000K color temperature but our vision will be sharper at around 4000K to 5000K since our high-resolution vision is based on green/red colors and blue becomes more of a nasty hard-to-focus glare. That is why, too, high resolution glasses practically filter all the blue color and thus look yellow/orange in color.

AC

Quote:
Originally Posted by DB22 View Post
I agree, I prefer the 5000K but the illumination of the road is actually better to a human at 4300. Blue is about the hardest color for the human to recognise.
2010 Acura TL Tech.
2001 Mercedes ML 320
Old 12-12-2012, 09:44 PM   #13 (permalink)

All great info, I just want my little tinge of blue back. I'm thinking to go with the Sylvania Xenarc 5000k OEM replacements, being I still want the correct light output and dispersion. dont want to go with the cheap illegal crap.
Old 12-14-2012, 06:44 PM   #14 (permalink)

Went to the dealer and got some interesting infomration. It turns out the Bulbs from 07-12 are identical part numbers. But the control unit (ballast) from 07-09 are different than the 10-12 hence the difference in color. Bulbs do change color over time but not that dramatic.This solves my problem, going to get the Sylvania Xenarc 5000k OEM replacements hope this gives me the look and functionality that I want. Has anybody used these?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Random Question

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: