Should I get Running Boards or Side Steps for my daughter to get in? - Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums
Register Home Forums Active Topics Auto Loans Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance
MDXers.org is the premier Acura MDX Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 12-10-2012, 01:51 PM   #1 (permalink)

Should I get Running Boards or Side Steps for my daughter to get in?

I'm along time Acura owner but this is my first MDX.

I have a 7 year old daughter who is having a hard time getting into the MDX. We previously had two Pilots so I didn't think entry would be an issue. I'm afraid she's going to scratch the paint with her boots as she climbs in. Should I get Running Boards or a Side Step to make it easier for her and avoid damage to the paint? Is there a cheaper aftermarket model that anyone recommends? I like the black running boards but it looks they they are $500+ install so maybe $700 total.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.
briny319 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2012, 01:56 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Senior Member

Buy her some boots that won't scratch the paint?

02 Honda S2000 -- Berlina Black/Black
99 Acura RL -- Naples Gold Metallic/Parchment
12 Toyota Avalon Limited
phins2rt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2012, 01:58 PM   #3 (permalink)

Don't you have the black plastic trim where she might accidently kick it.
The problem I've seen for little ones with steps or running boards is when they slide off the seat getting out and catch a heel on the step. While the damage will heal, it's more serious than a paint scuff.

But if you insist, running boards look better.
Bill_de is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2012, 02:13 PM   #4 (permalink)

I teach the kids to get in and out using my Advance running boards and they have no problem. I think that the other designs are more for looks than functionality. The Advance boards have many advantages and I recommend them.

2010 MDX Advance, Ent.
2005 RL
DB22 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2012, 06:05 PM   #5 (permalink)

Running boards. They look much better IMO.
2012AWP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2012, 01:34 PM   #6 (permalink)

Cool

I have the sport running steps on both my 2004 & 2012 Mdx. From experience the sport steps have two advantages.

1. The sport steps do not recess into the body of the Mdx vs. running boards. With running boards you only get to put your toes on to steps. The sport steps you can get a half plus foot on steps. Thus giving you more surface area to place your foot/shoe on.

2. I use the Mdx a lot in the snow. It is easier to clean and reduces accumolated snow to a minimum. The running boards collect dust dirt easier. The sport steps can be sprayed off with a hose. This makes it easier to clean.

Get the steps or running boards from https://www.oemacuraparts.com/index.php?p=home. They have the cheapest OEM prices. Call in your order instead of purchasing online. Most likely the person on phone will waiver shipping fee. Steps are easy to put on. Save your install money!!!! It should take you about 30-45 minutes. Less time if you have a drill with the correct attachment. Any person with minimum handy man skills can do it. I've installed on both my cars. Even my kids helped me do it.

BTW I have an 8 and 4 year old that use the steps. No problems without any scratches to car or damage to kids.

Hope this helps.
stanmanh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2012, 07:53 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DB22 View Post
I teach the kids to get in and out using my Advance running boards and they have no problem. I think that the other designs are more for looks than functionality. The Advance boards have many advantages and I recommend them.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App
- Roof Rails & Cross Bars
- LED Lighting Upgrade
- Tri-Fold Cargo Tray
1tufgt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2012, 08:37 AM   #8 (permalink)

If you don't want to get anything as she will grow, just take a step stool with you

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App
boston is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2012, 01:49 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanmanh View Post
I have the sport running steps on both my 2004 & 2012 Mdx. From experience the sport steps have two advantages.

1. The sport steps do not recess into the body of the Mdx vs. running boards. With running boards you only get to put your toes on to steps. The sport steps you can get a half plus foot on steps. Thus giving you more surface area to place your foot/shoe on.

2. I use the Mdx a lot in the snow. It is easier to clean and reduces accumolated snow to a minimum. The running boards collect dust dirt easier. The sport steps can be sprayed off with a hose. This makes it easier to clean.

I disagree with you on both points: I feel that the Advance boards are a lot more stable to the feet with a large non-skid area and that the Advance boards stop the accumulation of snow and splash from the wheels. The boards are also easier to clean with a quick hose down.

2010 MDX Advance, Ent.
2005 RL
DB22 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2012, 01:56 PM   #10 (permalink)

Stick with the Acura ones. As noted above, you can get them from oemacuraparts.com for a lot less than list.

As for the difference between the side steps and the running boards, your local Acura dealer probably has at least one (new or used) equipped with the side steps, and at least one with the running boards. That way your daughter can try each of them out and you can see which setup works best for you.
Old 12-13-2012, 11:43 PM   #11 (permalink)

Thanks for the replies. I guess OEM is the way to go. I do think they improve the look of the MDX but I've already spent more than I wanted to getting a roof rack side rails, mats, cargo tray, and cargo cover.
I guess I'll see how it goes and maybe suck it up and buy the oem ones...
2009 Infinti G37x, 2005 Acura RL , 2007 Honda Pilot EX-L, 2006 Honda Pilot EX, 2004 Acura TSX, 2002 Honda Accord SE, 1999 Honda Civic
briny319 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-14-2012, 12:59 AM   #12 (permalink)

is the 07-09 running board the same as 10-13 version
opticspen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-14-2012, 01:29 PM   #13 (permalink)

Advance running boards are the most functional if you plan to use them to get in and out. My 2.5 yr old daughter loves em.
tk76 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Random Question

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: