DIY: Constant Power 12V 3 Outlet Install - Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums
Register Home Forums Active Topics Auto Loans Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance
MDXers.org is the premier Acura MDX Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 12-09-2012, 08:46 PM   #1 (permalink)

DIY: Constant Power 12V 3 Outlet Install

I had the need for a constant on 12V power source so I decided to hardwire install one in my glovebox.

The short version of this is quite simple. Lower the glovebox and run a power wire through the factory passenger side firewall grommet and over to the battery.

Parts Required:
(1) Bell 12V 3 Power Outlet or equivalant

10 feet of 16GA power wire

(1) In Line Fuse Holder and 5 Amp Fuse

Tools Required:
1 Flathead screwdriver
10 Zip Ties

1 Solder Iron, Solder and Shrinkwrap
Crimp Tool / Wire Stripper
Tin Snips (to cut the zip ties) or equivalent
Electrical Tape
1 Cheap Metal Clothes Hanger
2 Ring Connectors (one to use at battery, one to use at factory ground on the right when you open your glovebox)

Steps:
1. Open Glovebox
2. Remove small black cap on damper strut, it slides off
3. Disconnect Damper Strut
4. Press in on the sides of the glovebox to lower it beyond the normal travel
5. Pop the hood
6. Identify the factory grommet on the passenger side
7. Remove the grommet by gently pulling on it
8. Unwind the clothes hanger and give it a 90 degree bend about 4 inches in
9. Gently snake the hanger in the grommet hole and pull it half way through from inside the cabin (this is not too hard but requires some patience)
10. Leave the hanger in place - you will use this to pull the power wire through
11. Squeeze the grommet to identify a safe place to puncture it to run your power wire, be 100% you are not going to hit a factory wire running through it
12. Electrical Tape your power wire to the end of the flathead screwdriver - SECURE it good
13. Gently puncture the grommet with the screwdriver and simulaneously push the power wire through (it is taped on so it comes for the ride)
14. With the screwdriver through the grommet, use a knife to cut the electrical tape and free up the power wire
15. Pull the wire through the grommet
16. Remove the screwdriver
17. Tape the pulled through power wire to the clothes hanger
18. Pull the clothes hanger and power wire all the way through into the cabin
19. Reinstall the grommet now with the power wire running through it
(will look like this)

20. Route the wire up to your battery and use zip ties to hold it against factory wire looms

21. Trim wire to size near the battery
22. Remove the 5A fuse and solder the in-line fuse holder onto the end of the wire
23. Tape or shrinkwrap the solder joint and Crimp on the Ring Connector
24. Leave the wire alone do not connect it yet
25. Cut the Cigarette Lighter Plug off of the 3 way outlet, and strip the wire
26. Identify the Red (Positive) and Black (Negative) wires
27. Solder the Red Wire to the wire you ran inside to the glovebox
28. Solder a 2 foot long Black Wire to extend the ground wire from the 3 way outlet
29. Crimp a Ring Connector on the end of the ground wire
30. Look to upper right of your glove box to identify the factory ground point and remove the factory 10mm ground screw/bolt. Add your ground wire to the factory ground point, and reinstall the 10mm screw
31. Check all solder joints for strength and make sure all are shrinkwrapped or properly taped up
32. Verify that you have the Nav and Radio Pin Code handy
33. Use a 10mm socket and unscrew the vehicle ground wire on the battery
34. Use a 10mm socket and nscrew the nut securing the vehicle power wire on the battery, slide the ring connector onto the power wire bolt and reinstall the nut and tighten
35. Reinstall the ground cable to the battery
36. Install the 5 AMP fuse into the in line fuse holder
37. Test the outlet
38. Tighten up any wire slack with zip ties
39. Resecure the glovebox by reversing steps (1-4)
40. Do a visual doublecheck to make sure you gathered all your tools and have all wires ziptied tight. You don't want your wire slack getting caught on a moving part!
41. Use velcro to secure your 3 way oulet to the inside of the glove box

Here it is installed
MDXpression is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-11-2012, 09:42 PM   #2 (permalink)

Great write up....I wish we had something like this (or a single power outlet) in the glove. I've been running a small bluetooth gateway in my other car and the MDX sure can use something like that.
sweetadad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2012, 01:27 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks! I plan on picking up some wire loom to cover the wire an make it look OEM. I may also put small screws in to secure the outlet instead if the Velcro. I will edit and add those pictures once complete. Pretty simple install. Total cost is under $30.
MDXpression is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-24-2012, 09:42 AM   #4 (permalink)

Good post/info. I wanted the same thing, but instead of running wire over to the battery, I found a spade terminal inside the engine compartment, passenger side, fuse box (2012 w/Tech). I used a 10 amp inline fuse. Seems to power a small DC inverter so far.

On another related note- learned of a "new" size fuse that I wasn't aware of. The "micro" plastic, used in our Xs. Of course after I purchased several spare "mini" fuses.
Drats, foiled again!

Thanks for the info.
Pete1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Random Question

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: