Where should snow chain go? - Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums
Register Home Forums Active Topics Auto Loans Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance
MDXers.org is the premier Acura MDX Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 12-09-2012, 04:47 PM   #1 (permalink)

Where should snow chain go?

Front or rear? Will visit Tahoe soon and bought a set of snow chain for MDX. Planned to put on the front. However, read online yesterday about all sorts of problems with using snow chain on the wrong wheels. So just want to ask the knowledgeable here. Front or rear? Merry Christmas.
qqzj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2012, 09:04 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Senior Member

Front wheels. The MDX is a front wheel drive vehicle. Use cables and not chains. All this is in the owners manual.
Old 12-09-2012, 09:49 PM   #3 (permalink)

Always use the chains/cables on the drive wheels. Using them on the non-drive wheels is just like not having them.

George
Old 12-09-2012, 10:42 PM   #4 (permalink)

My manual appears to be intentionally elusive on this. It tells you the type of chains to use and how to install....but does not say if you should put them on front/rear/or both axles. Given the way the SHAWD works...I would be inclined to put them on all four. It favors the front wheels during acceleration, but does a lot of shifting of power during turns. Having a lack of traction on one of the axles CAN be worse than having mediocre traction on both. Most Tahoe trips do not require (legally) chains on a 4wd vehicle. The roads are either closed or open to 4wd.
Old 12-10-2012, 06:22 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinny2 View Post
My manual appears to be intentionally elusive on this. It tells you the type of chains to use and how to install....but does not say if you should put them on front/rear/or both axles. Given the way the SHAWD works...I would be inclined to put them on all four. It favors the front wheels during acceleration, but does a lot of shifting of power during turns. Having a lack of traction on one of the axles CAN be worse than having mediocre traction on both. Most Tahoe trips do not require (legally) chains on a 4wd vehicle. The roads are either closed or open to 4wd.
This is the same thing I was thinking. I would probably make a safer bet by putting them on all 4 wheels. Then again like you said, Tahoe is usually pretty lenient in the sense that if they know you have 4WD/AWD, you probably don't need chains. And if for some reason you do need chains, then you probably shouldn't be driving in that type of weather condition.
Old 12-10-2012, 07:43 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by symmetrical View Post
And if for some reason you do need chains, then you probably shouldn't be driving in that type of weather condition.
Skiing requires "that type of weather condition"!

2010 MDX Advance, Ent.
2005 RL
DB22 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2012, 09:54 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DB22 View Post
Well I guess to re-phrase my comment, its that if the weather is so terrible in which the authorities require AWD/4WD cars to have chains on then its probably some pretty terrible weather not risk driving in. But I guess that is clearly subjective of what people want to do. lol
Old 12-11-2012, 06:28 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DB22 View Post
Instead of chains ... Buy a boat and go water skiing.

With AWD, having chains on only the front would probably turn the X into a front wheel drive vehicle. As the rear wheels lose traction all power would be channeled to the front axle. For that reason I would think putting them on all 4 wheels makes sense.
Bill_de is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2012, 06:36 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by robindevo View Post
It tells you the type of chains to use and how to install.
I noticed that in your 4 posts you have partially quoted another post without adding anything of your own. Is this intentional, or do you need some assistance using the forum?
Bill_de is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2012, 01:09 PM   #10 (permalink)

Thumbs up

I live in Northern Sacramento area and am about 1 hour drive from Lake Tahoe. Being that the MDX is capable of four wheel drive. It has RARELY been required in Tahoe for "four wheel" drive vehicles to put on chains. I have yet to put chains on my MDX for the last 12 years. I do carry a set of cable chains just in case I run into that EXTREME weather or if Caltrans/Highway patrol ask if I carried any. In that situation I'd rather not even drive. I got the Z6 cable chains and they are easy to put on and are a great fit for the MDX.
Amazon.com: Security Chain Company Super Z6, SZ435, Cable Chain for Pickups & SUVs - Set of 2: Automotive Amazon.com: Security Chain Company Super Z6, SZ435, Cable Chain for Pickups & SUVs - Set of 2: Automotive
Remember MDX has low clearance in the wheel well. You have to use cable chains NOT regular chains!!!! I do suggest you carry a long length chainlink just in case you make a wrong turn into deep snow. With the chain someone can help pull your vehicle out. I've had this happen before and it was a lifesaver. I didn't have to wait for a tow truck to arrive on scene. Just flag down a passing vehicle, hitch up to car and go! Imagine being in the cold, wet, snow with screaming kids in your car. Not fun.

P.S. Chains do go onto the front wheels of MDX.

Have fun in Tahoe!!!
stanmanh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Random Question

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: