What's the best deal on a replacement key? - Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums
Register Home Forums Active Topics Auto Loans Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance
MDXers.org is the premier Acura MDX Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 12-06-2012, 08:38 PM   #1 (permalink)

What's the best deal on a replacement key?

My 2008 MDX key fob finally broke off at the ring. The small screw that keeps the assembly together seems to be the weak point and even a thick coat of JB Weld where the plastic meets the metal didn't hold for long.

So, what's the best deal on getting a replacement deal? Is this a must-visit-the dealer situation or can I pick a cheaper one up online and take it to a locksmith for a cutting.

Acura MDX Flip Head Key Keyless Entry Remote Transmitter Fob Driver 2 N5F0602A1A | eBay

Or
New Factory SEALED Genuine Acura Uncut Flip Key Combo Keyless Remote Fob 1 | eBay

Found this thread but maybe technology or vendors have improved since.

http://www.mdxers.org/forums/74-2007...nt-keys-2.html
GeoJoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-08-2012, 01:35 AM   #2 (permalink)

I'm not sure of the extent of the damage but if the inside pieces work could you replace the case?

New Replacement Remote Key Keyless Fob Case Button Pad Rubber Fix Repair Cracked | eBay
MDXpression is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2012, 02:45 PM   #3 (permalink)

Interesting approach.
Amazon.com: Acura Flip Out Remote Key SHELL - 3 button - Generic Replacement Shell: Automotive Amazon.com: Acura Flip Out Remote Key SHELL - 3 button - Generic Replacement Shell: Automotive

That may actually work! Thanks for the tip.
Old 12-08-2012, 02:54 PM   #4 (permalink)

There was a tsb awhile back telling dealers to replace the keys under warranty, even when abused by the customer.
Bill_de is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2012, 03:42 PM   #5 (permalink)

No problem. Hope it works out!
Old 01-20-2013, 11:53 AM   #6 (permalink)

Big thanks to MDXpression for the suggestion. I ordered the shell for $15 and between the new one and old one I was able to put together a combination of parts to have a new key again!

I used the new buttons and front of the new key. I removed the chip from the old key and put it in the new front. The back of the old key had to remain as it has most of the gearing and springs that are needed, as well as the original key.

This gives me new buttons combined with the original key and keeps the Acura log on the back. Good combination for cheap!
Old 01-20-2013, 02:41 PM   #7 (permalink)

Nice one! Glad it worked out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Random Question

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: