2007 or 2009 MDX - Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums
Register Home Forums Active Topics Auto Loans Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance
MDXers.org is the premier Acura MDX Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 12-03-2012, 09:38 PM   #1 (permalink)

2007 or 2009 MDX

I am looking to purchase a used MDX and I am looking at two vehicles. The first car is a 2007 MDX with Technology Package for 23k with 58k miles. The second car is a 2009 MDX with Technology Package for 21k with 95k miles. I am leaning towards the 2007 simply because the mileage is a lot less and I am not sure how reliable an MDX is past the 100k mark. My question is what are the major differences between a 2007 and a 2009 MDX both wth Tech package? Also any information on reliability is great I am considering purchasing an AcuraCare extended warranty just in case so any comments on that would be great also.

Thanks
PieceOfChum is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-03-2012, 10:45 PM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PieceOfChum View Post
I am leaning towards the 2007 simply because the mileage is a lot less

Quote:
I am not sure how reliable an MDX is past the 100k mark.
The MDX is extremely reliable past 100K miles. Many of us (including me) have over 100K miles, and some of us have over 200K.

That being said, things wear out over a specific period of time and miles, and maintenance also needs to be done over a specific period of time and miles. With a lower mileage car, it should take longer before the chances of anything needing a repair. It will also take longer before you hit the interval for needing maintenance, for things like the timing belt, etc.

Quote:
My question is what are the major differences between a 2007 and a 2009 MDX both wth Tech package?
There are no significant differences, according to Edmunds.

Quote:
Also any information on reliability is great I am considering purchasing an AcuraCare extended warranty just in case so any comments on that would be great also.
The MDX is extremely reliable, and most extended warranties represent large profits for those who sell them. Chances are that you will pay more for the warranty than you will ever recoup from it; even if you have some repairs, they probably won't cost as much as the warranty (and not everything gets covered in full). However, there is always a small chance that you will need a major repair that would be covered by the warranty. If you are asking what the odds are, you're better off not getting the extended warranty. But if you are willing to spend a good chunk of money for the peace of mind that, on the off chance you have a major problem, you'll be able to get its repair cost reimbursed, then it might be a good idea for you.

You can read what Consumer Reports says based on their survey of 8000 readers with extended warranties, in this article:

Extended warranties: A high-priced gamble
Our survey of 8,000 new-car buyers shows they are usually a poor deal

I've bought used cars and new cars. I've never bought an extended warranty. And I've never regreted that decision.
Old 12-03-2012, 11:14 PM   #3 (permalink)

FYI also note Acura has powertrain warranty up to 70,000 miles for the MDX.

IMO I would go for the '07 for the less miles. With the 09 at 100,000, you will be coming up with maintenance items such as spark plugs, timing belt, and other potential failures (water pump, engine mounts) etc.

Also other factors to consider is the condition of the body, tires, wheels, interior, etc. if you care about the cosmetics.
Old 12-04-2012, 08:46 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Senior Member

Tetris Champion

Send a message via AIM to Hodog16
There are some things to note:
2007 does not come with the auto-dimming mirror which is standard in 2008+. it is available as an option from Acura and with installation costs would be a couple hundred bucks. My advice is to point this out to the dealer as they likely won't put this into consideration, especially if it is not an Acura dealer. If it is an Acura dealer, I would request they install it before you buy it.

The 2009 tech package has a power tailgate standard, the 2007 tech package does not. The power tailgate only came with the entertainment package in the 2007's. For the 2008's when the power tailgate was a separate option, I believe it was $500 or so to add on.

Also for colors, 2007 had steel blue (lighter color), aberdeen green, and desert rock metallic (tan). 2009 has bali blue (darker) and I think a new grey that looks like the old grey. The names of the grays escape me at the mo.
Old 12-04-2012, 10:00 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hodog16 View Post
There are some things to note:
2007 does not come with the auto-dimming mirror which is standard in 2008+. it is available as an option from Acura and with installation costs would be a couple hundred bucks. My advice is to point this out to the dealer as they likely won't put this into consideration, especially if it is not an Acura dealer. If it is an Acura dealer, I would request they install it before you buy it.

The 2009 tech package has a power tailgate standard, the 2007 tech package does not. The power tailgate only came with the entertainment package in the 2007's. For the 2008's when the power tailgate was a separate option, I believe it was $500 or so to add on.

Also for colors, 2007 had steel blue (lighter color), aberdeen green, and desert rock metallic (tan). 2009 has bali blue (darker) and I think a new grey that looks like the old grey. The names of the grays escape me at the mo.
Good points here too, I completely forgot about the power tail gate. To some, its a deal breaker. I personally wish I had it.
Old 12-04-2012, 10:59 PM   #6 (permalink)

Thank you all so much these replies are extremely helpful. Power tailgate would be nice but not a deal breaker for me and I can get a great backup camera/auto dimming combination for under $100 and get it installed for low money so that isn't even an issue. I am leaning heavily towards the 2007 I really would like to get out of my legacy good car but would like something bigger. The only bad thing is the 2007 is 3k more and it is silver which I don't love but minor things in retorsspect.
Old 12-04-2012, 11:03 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Thank you all so much these replies are extremely helpful. Power tailgate would be nice but not a deal breaker for me and I can get a great backup camera/auto dimming combination for under $100 and get it installed for low money so that isn't even an issue. I am leaning heavily towards the 2007 I really would like to get out of my legacy good car but would like something bigger. The only bad thing is the 2007 is 3k more and it is silver which I don't love but minor things in retorsspect.
Its funny because my wife's 2008 Subaru Impreza OBS, we purchased it back in 2008 with the intention of being the "family" car. Fast forward to 2010 when I had my daughter, the lack of space was really uncomfortable for all of us. Long story short that's why I ended up with an SUV, specifically the MDX.
Old 12-04-2012, 11:18 PM   #8 (permalink)

What is your overall opinion of your MDX? The 2007 I am looking at also has a trailer hitch and it is also billet silver. Also have you had a chance to try the all wheel drive in the snow? How would you compare the AWD of the Subaru and the Acura MD SH-AWD for snowy conditions?
Old 12-05-2012, 02:48 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
What is your overall opinion of your MDX? The 2007 I am looking at also has a trailer hitch and it is also billet silver. Also have you had a chance to try the all wheel drive in the snow? How would you compare the AWD of the Subaru and the Acura MD SH-AWD for snowy conditions?
I was able to take it in the snow once in South Lake Tahoe and it handled it like a champ. You could see the drivetrain constantly powers the rear wheels and not only when the front wheels slip like other lower end AWD systems.

But I never got a chance to take the subaru in snow.

I feel though SH-AWD was designed more for "driving feel" and handling characteristics vs being an all-weather system like the Subaru. With that said, it was still excellent.

I also got my MDX second hand with 45k miles, currently have 62k miles. Its a great SUV overall and I love the handling characteristics.

But something I will say is that the 3rd row really is meant for small children and is not very comfortable for even short adults (my sister is 5'2 and doesn't like it in the 3rd row.) Most of the time I just leave the 3rd row down though.
Old 12-05-2012, 12:32 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
The only bad thing is the 2007 is 3k more
Based on the prices you posted above, it's $2K more, not $3K more. But quite aside from that minor point, I assume these are the prices listed in the ads. I looked up the prices of similar cars on Autotrader, and the prices you mention above are the common asking prices ($21K for a 2009 Tech with 90-100Kish miles, $23K for a 2007 Tech with 50-70K miles). Most sellers, including dealers, are willing to negotiate downward in price for a buyer who's serious. An offer of $1K less than the asking price (on a $20-25K car) will almost always be accepted; an offer of $5K less will almost always be rejected. But how low will they be willing to go? It's hard to tell, until you make them an offer.

If I were you, if the 2007 is the one you want, I would offer them $19K for it and see how they respond. If you're lucky, they might accept the offer outright, but more likely, they will make you a counteroffer, probably something in the $20-22K range. If the counteroffer is $20K, I'd accept it; if it's $21-22K, you could try countering with an offer $1K less than theirs, and see if they will agree or won't budge.

Also note that there are plenty of other MDXs on the market, so you don't need to limit yourself to only these two. Just for example, right now there are 133 different 2007 MDXs with the Technology package and under 75K miles for sale on Autotrader right now (click here for a list) and many of them show an asking price of $23K or less. Maybe you can find one in a color you like better, too.
Old 12-05-2012, 04:00 PM   #11 (permalink)

You are correct about the prices it is a 2k difference. I am going to offer much lower I have to because I am under on my trade anyways I bought the Subaru used last year paid more than I should for sure by a couple of grand not terrible but was stupid with that purchase so I will really need to get the 2007 down to 20k and then carry over a few grand from my Subaru. It is an unlikely deal to be honest but I am going to try to get the extra space. The dealer insists they can make it work but we shall see.
Old 12-05-2012, 04:19 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
You are correct about the prices it is a 2k difference. I am going to offer much lower I have to because I am under on my trade anyways I bought the Subaru used last year paid more than I should for sure by a couple of grand not terrible but was stupid with that purchase so I will really need to get the 2007 down to 20k and then carry over a few grand from my Subaru. It is an unlikely deal to be honest but I am going to try to get the extra space. The dealer insists they can make it work but we shall see.
A few pieces of advice.

Familiarize yourself with how much your Subaru is worth. You can sell it anywhere; you don't have to use it as a trade-in.

If you DO want to use it as a trade-in, look at how much you are paying for the difference. In that case, it's not important if you're paying $23K for the MDX if they're also giving you $4-5K more as trade than you think the Subaru is worth. Just don't expect to get them down to $20K on the MDX and ALSO give you thousands more on the Subaru. (But hey, you can try - nothing to lose by asking/offering!)

Finally, don't ignore the sales tax implications. In most states (with the notable exception of California), when you trade a car in, you only pay sales tax on the difference. So for example, if your state sales tax is 8 percent and they give you $10K credit for the trade-in, that saves you $800 in sales tax on the purchase of the MDX. Which is worth including in your calculations of how much it's costing you.

Good luck.
Old 12-05-2012, 06:04 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsxtasy View Post
Finally, don't ignore the sales tax implications. In most states (with the notable exception of California), when you trade a car in, you only pay sales tax on the difference.
Also worth noting is that many (most?) states only allow this on NEW car purchases...not used. Illinois is one that does allow it.
Old 12-05-2012, 08:39 PM   #14 (permalink)
Super Senior Member

Tetris Champion

Send a message via AIM to Hodog16
Lots of great advice in this thread, good luck to you in your decision and getting the prices lower to fit your budget.

The MDX does great in the snow. I used to live in Indiana and distinctly remember a few commutes where I was passing multiple cars that had slid into the ditch.
Old 12-05-2012, 08:55 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinny2 View Post
Also worth noting is that many (most?) states only allow this on NEW car purchases...not used. Illinois is one that does allow it.
I believe Mass allows this also which is where I am at. Thanks for the advice. Also I am happy that the MDX does well in the snow I love driving in the snow when we get some at least. I heard conflicting things about the MDX in the snow and that the SH AWD wasn't that good in the snow but I didn't understand why I think it is that people have unrealistic ideas about snow capabilities and the fact that breaking isn't improved with AWD although it is possible in some case to control the slippage much better with AWD. The 2007 has nearly brand new tires where the 2009 has tires around 70% worn.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Random Question

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: