swapping out perforated sport seats for regular MDX seats?? - Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums
Register Home Forums Active Topics Auto Loans Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance
MDXers.org is the premier Acura MDX Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 12-03-2012, 06:34 PM   #1 (permalink)

swapping out perforated sport seats for regular MDX seats??

So I am hoping to buy an MDX in early spring and am doing all my preliminary research now. I actually REALLY like the Infiniti FX35, however the dash seems a bit bland and my wife prefers the MDX. Anyway, I think I will be looking for the Sport package with Entertainment too. I like the idea of the adjustable suspension. However we are looking at having a baby at some point in the near future and not only am I not big on the looks of perforated leather, but I think it will be a nightmare to clean with any spills. Do people like the perforated seats (ie: would I be able to find someone on the forum that might want to swap), and if so is it an easy/straight forward swap or is it pretty involved. Any issues with retaining full functionality/memory settings, etc.? Thanks a lot. BTW, what else am I gaining with the Sport package if anything other than these 2 features?
wantanMDX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-03-2012, 07:25 PM   #2 (permalink)

I would recommend the mdx hands down. My wife and I drove an fx but ended up with an Rdx before we bought our mdx. The fx and Rdx had roughly the same cargo capacity, but once we had the baby we noticed you need a lot more space than that. Just space alone I would take the mdx over the fx. Just my .02
2012AWP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2012, 10:12 AM   #3 (permalink)

In 2010 I bought the FX over the MDX as I loved the way it drove and the interiors and exteriors. After 2 babies sold the FX in 2012 and bought the MDX. Definitely go for the MDX if you need the space and trust me, with kids, you will.
tk76 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2012, 10:33 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tk76 View Post
In 2010 I bought the FX over the MDX as I loved the way it drove and the interiors and exteriors. After 2 babies sold the FX in 2012 and bought the MDX. Definitely go for the MDX if you need the space and trust me, with kids, you will.
Interesting, did you go with this because of the 3rd row?
Old 12-04-2012, 06:41 PM   #5 (permalink)

I am to sure of too many people that actually use the third row on a regular basis. Once you have a kid, you will realize how small the trunk is in a fx or a car with similar size. Our stroller took up most of our trunk in the rsx.
2012AWP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2012, 09:25 PM   #6 (permalink)

My wife and I purchased the MDX while she was pregnant with our second child. We love it, the extra space is fantastic and we've used the third row seats multiple times for long trips. We move our oldest child to the third row (she'll probably resent us in her teens) and my wife sits in the second row with the our baby. It's a much more comfortable ride. we've had the grandparents in the vehicle and used the third row. The MDX still has a lot of power with the added weight.

As for the perforated seats, I completely understand. I don't know if it's a long process but I'm sure if you ask Acura they'll do whatever it takes to get you to buy their vehicle.
Old 12-07-2012, 02:46 AM   #7 (permalink)

Well to be honest I am not trying to go through a stealership for the seat swap at least. I'm sure it's something I could handle for the swap itself but a little scared as to make sure everything would still function properly and I don't know if the perforated sears are more sought after to where I would even find someone that would want to trade me. We shall see I guess. I can't get over the sexiness of the FX, but between the 35 and the MDX they seem comparably quick and the sport/tech package in the MDX and beautiful interior just seem to win it.
wantanMDX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2012, 08:35 AM   #8 (permalink)

Keep the perforated seats, they are way more comfortable. As for your future baby, the child will be in a car seat for more years than the car will exist. You can always buy a seat cover for the baby area while you and your wife can enjoy the comforts of heated and cooled seats in the Advance model.
I mention Advance because when babe is in the car there will be distractions and the CMBS is worth the money if it saves your lives.

2010 MDX Advance, Ent.
2005 RL
DB22 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2012, 10:29 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wantanMDX View Post
Well to be honest I am not trying to go through a stealership for the seat swap at least. I'm sure it's something I could handle for the swap itself but a little scared as to make sure everything would still function properly and I don't know if the perforated sears are more sought after to where I would even find someone that would want to trade me. We shall see I guess. I can't get over the sexiness of the FX, but between the 35 and the MDX they seem comparably quick and the sport/tech package in the MDX and beautiful interior just seem to win it.
The seats would be a direct swap, the only difference in the perforated seats is the 2010+ came with a "cooling system" that has built in fans that pass air up through the perforation when the A/C is on. Otherwise, they are identical from 2007 to present as far as funtionality, bracketry and wiring. The only difference is on the car side of the harness, the plugs for the fans are cappped on trim levels without the cooling option (w/o perforated seats on 2010+).

Depending on the condition and color, I would be willing to trade with you if you get one with perforated seats. I have the black non-perforated seats and been searching for someone willing to trade, as the price for new (or used for that matter) is outrageous. I am a non-smoker and my seats are in good condition from a 2009 Tech edition, I clean/ treat them weekly with Mothers Leather care and there are no stains rips/ tears/ funky smells. They are used, but nothing excessive as far as creases and show only typical wear for their age (and I'd obviously be willing to provide thorough pics if this opportunity presented itself).

Additionally (depending on your location obviously), I'd be more than happy to help you uninstall/ re-install your seats. Which would be advantageous for both of us as far as shipping is concerned. Shoot me an PM if this sounds like something your willing to consider if you get an MDX with black perforated seats, and we can work out the details.
Old 12-07-2012, 05:00 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by symmetrical View Post
Interesting, did you go with this because of the 3rd row?
Third row played a part but it was more the boot space. With the big stroller the FX had no space while the MDX can take three of those and still have space. The MDX is also bigger on the inside, the seats and all. My wife can comfortably sit in the middle of the second row with car seats on each side. There was no way she could do that in the FX.
tk76 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Random Question

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: