Hitch w/ Full Size Spare (Yes I searched) - Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums
Register Home Forums Active Topics Auto Loans Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance
MDXers.org is the premier Acura MDX Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 12-01-2012, 09:31 AM   #1 (permalink)

Hitch w/ Full Size Spare (Yes I searched)

I searched for an hour or so and found quite a bit of good info! BUT info on what hitch becides OEM will fit the FSS is conflicting.

I am requesting a pic or two of the curt or hidden hitch with a FSS. I specify these because of info I saw during my search; the info referred to these fitting the FSS. A pic of this set up is like finding a pic of a unicorn; of course a pic of any other aftermarket hit with FSS would be appreciated!

OEM harness is a must for easy integration with a brake controller!

Thanks

Kerry
2003 S2000
2008 MDX Tech
kcoughlin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-01-2012, 09:47 AM   #2 (permalink)

Hmmmm finding more info...
2003 S2000
2008 MDX Tech
Old 12-01-2012, 10:27 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcoughlin View Post
Hmmmm finding more info...
I don't think you'll find an aftermarket that will take fss; only the oem can do that. Imo the fss is too heavy to carry around all the time. It is only really a good thing to have when towing, at least with my experience. And I don't tow everyday.
I do have the oem hitch now but I did get the hidden hitch before for an '08. I used to just throw the fss in the back of the X or in the boat(tied securely of course).
Here's my comparison-
OEM hitch- will fit fss, tow up to 5000#, weight of fss= more gas consumption
Aftermarket - will not fit fss, tow up to 4000#, eats up cargo space if u want to bring ur fss, PIA to pick up because it's heavy, well for me- I'm a 5'4" filipino

Ask yourself these questions-
-will u tow more than 4k lbs?
-do you really need the fss? and how many times did you get a flat tire based on driving experience? maybe just for peace of mind to have?

oh sorry Icould not post pic as ur requesting. Again, the fss wont fit my hidden hitch. unless of course they have changed their hitch design recently.
EX2100 250hp sportboat with wakeboard tower
07 MDX S/E pkg. tow pkg. chrome steps(sold)
gotMDX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2012, 10:58 AM   #4 (permalink)

Did you see this one?

http://www.mdxers.org/forums/74-2007...pare-07-a.html

I don't get the FSS thing, is it really necessary to mount one? I wouldn't use the MDX for much towing.

carli123 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2012, 01:46 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by carli123 View Post
Did you see this one?

http://www.mdxers.org/forums/74-2007...pare-07-a.html

I don't get the FSS thing, is it really necessary to mount one? I wouldn't use the MDX for much towing.

I saw that one; it's OEM... Don't know why you wouldn't use it to tow... I will be pulling a light weight trailer and light weight Racecar 1-2 times a month; about 3100-3200 lbs..

My buddy has been doing the same; he gets 15-17mph towing!
2003 S2000
2008 MDX Tech
Old 12-01-2012, 05:50 PM   #6 (permalink)

Honda may never solve their issues with building low durability transmissions and for that reason I don't think the MDX is a good tow vehicle, not to mention all the fancy torque vectoring components...too much going on. For a while I towed a 6x12 box trailer and a couple of motorcycles and the the X felt like it was getting a work out. I know others tow large boats and all sorts of things, so I guess it's personal preference. I have a Dodge Cummins to do my pulling/hauling now.
Old 12-01-2012, 06:33 PM   #7 (permalink)

Lots of MDXers on this board use their cars to tow, without serious problems...
Old 12-01-2012, 06:55 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsxtasy View Post
Lots of MDXers on this board use their cars to tow, without serious problems...
Lots of people used to drive without a seat belt relying on your argument which ultimately proved to be flawed. If you tow with yours, don't be offended, I'm just saying they are not ideal tow vehicles given the history of Honda transmissions. I have two friends that build transmissions for a living and both see a disproportionate number of Honda's come with failed transmissions. Odds are you'll be fine towing 3500#, but I choose not to with mine.
Old 12-01-2012, 08:13 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
I have two friends that build transmissions for a living and both see a disproportionate number of Honda's come with failed transmissions.
Sounds like you need to do more reading on this board. Those who are familiar with the MDX know that most of its transmission problems are the result of the design flaw in the 2001-2002 version, and not caused by towing.
Old 12-01-2012, 09:36 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:

I don't have a hitch, but I do have a FSS and a FSS is vacation insurance to me. If I'm on vacation or going on vacation, I don't want to be limited to having a donut and finding a replacement soon. Couple that with a hitch, and you don't want to be pulling with a donut.

Slap the FSS on and then continue your vacation and change the tire out when you're done. Knock on wood, to this day with about 400K total vehicle miles, I have not needed a spare change during vacation. I've had to change a few times, but local driving.
Teg2Xer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2012, 10:08 PM   #11 (permalink)

I've driven about 500k miles in my life and have never had a flat, never mind on vacation. Probably an unusual streak of luck that will end tomorrow.
kokerj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2012, 07:05 AM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotMDX View Post
I don't think you'll find an aftermarket that will take fss; only the oem can do that. Imo the fss is too heavy to carry around all the time. It is only really a good thing to have when towing, at least with my experience. And I don't tow everyday.
I do have the oem hitch now but I did get the hidden hitch before for an '08. I used to just throw the fss in the back of the X or in the boat(tied securely of course).
Here's my comparison-
OEM hitch- will fit fss, tow up to 5000#, weight of fss= more gas consumption
Aftermarket - will not fit fss, tow up to 4000#, eats up cargo space if u want to bring ur fss, PIA to pick up because it's heavy, well for me- I'm a 5'4" filipino

Ask yourself these questions-
-will u tow more than 4k lbs?
-do you really need the fss? and how many times did you get a flat tire based on driving experience? maybe just for peace of mind to have?

oh sorry Icould not post pic as ur requesting. Again, the fss wont fit my hidden hitch. unless of course they have changed their hitch design recently.
Just why do you think the full size spare is only good for towing?

Details please.

George
Old 12-02-2012, 11:08 AM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teg2Xer View Post
I don't have a hitch, but I do have a FSS and a FSS is vacation insurance to me. If I'm on vacation or going on vacation, I don't want to be limited to having a donut and finding a replacement soon. Couple that with a hitch, and you don't want to be pulling with a donut.

What are the downsides of carrying a full-size spare? It cost me $50 to buy a cosmetically so-so used MDX wheel (even included the TPMS sensor). The tire didn't cost anything because I am using a tire that was worn and ready for replacement; putting enough miles on it to get me home would be no big deal (although I'd make sure to use it on the rear). And while any increase in weight is going to affect gas mileage, we're talking about a difference of maybe 10 pounds on a 4000-pound vehicle, so any effect on mileage is going to be negligible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teg2Xer View Post
Knock on wood, to this day with about 400K total vehicle miles, I have not needed a spare change during vacation. I've had to change a few times, but local driving.
Within the past five or so years, I have had...

- One tire on the MDX that developed a leak, enough to set off the TPMS but still had enough air for me to get the 15 miles home (where I could swap on a winter tire, then take the regular tire to get fixed)

- One tire on the Integra that was pretty worn, almost ready for replacement, that went dead flat about half a mile from home, so I just drove home on it

- One tire on the Integra that blew out when I drove over rode debris on the highway 40 miles from home, so I swapped the spare on and continued to my destination, then returned home

- One street tire on the NSX that blew out 100 miles from home (I was having problems with that valve stem, so the pressure probably got low) so I swapped on one of the track tires I had with me

- One street tire on the NSX that developed a leak after an off-track excursion on grass, so I swapped the spare on and drove it 130 miles home

Those are only the incapacitating tire experiences, and I'm not mentioning several times when I've picked up nails and screws that I then had repaired.

I've probably had worse experience than average over that time. But OTOH I have enough experience with tires that changing them is no big deal for me.
Old 12-02-2012, 11:14 AM   #14 (permalink)

Since we're discussing spares, it's always a good time to remind everyone to check the air in the spare every once in a while. Tires typically lose air at the rate of 1 psi per month, even when nothing is wrong with them. You don't want to find yourself out on the road somewhere when you really need to use your spare, only to find that it's flat because you haven't put air in it in at least a year.
Old 12-02-2012, 01:35 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsxtasy View Post
Sounds like you need to do more reading on this board. Those who are familiar with the MDX know that most of its transmission problems are the result of the design flaw in the 2001-2002 version, and not caused by towing.
I've read plenty on this board and consider my self quite familiar with the MDX and it's strength and weaknesses. Why do you think the converter warranty was extended and two software updates applied? The MDX converter is no different than many other Honda converters, prone to failure. When it fails it fills the transmission with friction material and makes a mess of them. Replace with a more durable converter and few updated internal components and they are pretty darn good transmissions. No matter the brand or type of vehicle, towing is hard on the transmission and in the case of the MDX you're starting with a deficit. But again, you're probably fine towing light loads, I just choose not to based on professional advice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Random Question

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: