engine stumbles at low speed - 2013 MDX - Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums
Register Home Forums Active Topics Auto Loans Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance
MDXers.org is the premier Acura MDX Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 11-30-2012, 05:56 PM   #1 (permalink)

engine stumbles at low speed - 2013 MDX

My 2013 MDX tends to stumble - hesitate after letting off gas and then accelerating. RPMs seem to drop significantly when this happens, probably causing the stumbling feel as it spins up

Taking it in next week - anyone having any similar situation??
jajaxxon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-30-2012, 06:21 PM   #2 (permalink)

When you lift off, it stays in a high gear or changes up. When you ask for acceleration it changes down giving you a sensation of hesitation

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App
boston is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2012, 06:25 PM   #3 (permalink)

When you say accelerating, are you accelerating hard? There is a switch down on the left side of the steering wheel where you can turn off the X electronic stability control system. With it off, the stability control system will not cut off engine torque to the engine when you accelerate hard. The X sensors can feel the wheels slipping before you can, so it cuts the engine torque to keep the vehicle stable.

Try it with that off and see how it feels. You just push the button for a couple of seconds and it will beep and show an orange icon on the dashboard telling you that the option is off. It's good that you are taking it to the dealer, too, just to make sure it does not need any other small adjustments.

AC

Quote:
Originally Posted by jajaxxon View Post
My 2013 MDX tends to stumble - hesitate after letting off gas and then accelerating. RPMs seem to drop significantly when this happens, probably causing the stumbling feel as it spins up

... side windows acrylic deflectors,
... Michelin Latitude Tour HP 275/45R19
2010 Acura TL Tech.
2001 Mercedes ML 320
2005 Mercedes ML 500 AMG Package
AC_MDX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2012, 11:50 PM   #4 (permalink)

not a good idea to push hard on gas on a new vehicle, even thought they say there is no break-in period it is still a good practice to let the vehicle work in lower rpm's (I'd say no more than 3-4k rpm) for the first 1000 or so km's.
rabit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2012, 02:07 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabit View Post
not a good idea to push hard on gas on a new vehicle, even thought they say there is no break-in period it is still a good practice to let the vehicle work in lower rpm's (I'd say no more than 3-4k rpm) for the first 1000 or so km's.
yes there is break in period. It is 600 miles according manual. I am at 1000 miles right now and will try to stay under 3000k rpms for another thousand. I dont think that 600 miles is enough for the engine tranny...
dzionassi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2012, 10:58 AM   #6 (permalink)

I think you're feeling the transmission as well. I've posted a few times about how this thing loves to stay in the tallest gear and it doesn't come straight down into a lower gear quickly. S mode is far better though so you might try the same thing there and see what happens. For a vehicle with relatively decent power...you have to really work to get it. The car feels very comfortable if you like to drive passively...my wife loves it for the most part, but has complained about it lugging going up a couple steep hills we have around town.
Old 12-01-2012, 12:33 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:

Make sure you have the transmission software update. I have a 2012 and it cured the so called lugging. For some reason even new ones don't have this update. That was my experience.

tolson37 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2012, 09:43 PM   #8 (permalink)

Stumbling or slight hesitation? We had been using Costco premium fuel, and noticed a slight hesitation, switched to Shell from a quality station, hesitation gone. You might try switching gas brand and station.

Also, got consistently less mpg on Costco fuel. I "want" to love Costco fuel because of the price, but reduced mpg and the slight hesitation has me going elsewhere.

2014 Escape Titanium 2.0 Turbo 4WD
Tsturbo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2012, 10:47 PM   #9 (permalink)

Another option is to really push the x more aggressively. Take it somewhere where you can do this safely. It learns fast. It will learn and down / up shift earlier / later.

Old 12-02-2012, 12:38 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tolson37 View Post
Make sure you have the transmission software update. I have a 2012 and it cured the so called lugging. For some reason even new ones don't have this update. That was my experience.

Is there a TSB or something similar for this transmission software update? My '12 was built in June and I'd like to make sure it has this.
Old 12-02-2012, 02:47 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by desmonsm View Post
Is there a TSB or something similar for this transmission software update? My '12 was built in June and I'd like to make sure it has this.
I don't know if there is a website to look this up. I would contact your Acura dealership and ask.

Old 12-04-2012, 07:22 PM   #12 (permalink)

Thx for the comments and ideas

taking it in tomorrow

Thought it might be a transmission issue

More to come
Old 12-05-2012, 11:07 AM   #13 (permalink)

Just returned from dealer
All shift pooints and engine check out
No TSBs for 2013 model
Test drive reveals no issues
Sooo, guess I just need to get used to low speed acceleration lag
Thanks for all responses
Old 08-06-2013, 02:14 PM   #14 (permalink)

Hesitation

Quote:
Just returned from dealer
All shift pooints and engine check out
No TSBs for 2013 model
Test drive reveals no issues
Sooo, guess I just need to get used to low speed acceleration lag
Thanks for all responses
I have similar problem, very frustrating! I dropped it off at the dealer for the Service Mngr. to drive for several days to 'replicate' the problem. Wouldn't ya know, he didn't experience any issues while driving (180 mi). Not satisfied at all with the product. They gave me a 2014 to drive while they had mine, nice upgrade in electronics, should have waited a year....
rkcboss is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-06-2013, 02:50 PM   #15 (permalink)

After driving my MDX for 4800 miles and getting used to the transmission, I spent a large part of Sunday towing a 5x8 u-Haul trailer from NH to Boston to NYC. This allowed me to pull a not-too-large trailer in many different speeds/conditions, and really understand just how the MDX likes to provide power to the wheels. Pulling a trailer helps to bring out the real "needs" in these situations.

As others have said, the MDX (specifically my '13) loves to go to a higher gear and keep the RPM's low for fuel economy. The "power" comes when the RPM's get above 2500 rpm, and you have to get to a lower gear for that to happen. The net-net is that the "-" paddle shifter became my close friend during that trip, and I got pretty good at using it by the time I reached my destination. In normal non-trailer driving, the accellerator pedal is pretty good about helping with downshifts when you give it gas - but not always. When pulling a trailer, it's not nearly as sensitive, and you have to use the paddle shifter to go down a gear for power. On my return trip to NH without the trailer, I didn't have to use the paddle shifter much at all, but those few times when I could feel it start to lug along, a quick blip and it was much happier.

I tried using the "S" mode when trailering, but when in stop/start driving, the requirement that you must shift up with paddle shifters (after the 1-2 auto shift) was a bit of a pain, so I opted for the downshift method in the "D" mode as being more friendly in traffic.

As a comparison, when I drive my wife's '12 TL with the almost identical drivetrain (3.7L, SH-AWD, 6-speed auto), you NEVER need to hit the paddle shifter to achieve power (unless you wanna play around). It's either the gearing ratios and shift points - or maybe the greatly reduced weight - but the TL behaves much more crisply and you don't ever get that "I need more power" feeling like you can in the MDX from time to time.

But don't get me wrong - the MDX is a blast to drive. You just need to get used to it and anticipate when you want it to have that extra shot of power. That paddle shifter is great for that.

andy

Current Rides:
2012 Acura TL SH-AWD Tech - Wife's, 17k miles, White
2013 Acura MDX Base - Mine, 14k miles, also White
2014 Honda Accord LX - Oldest kid's, new, Black

Previous Honda/Acura family vehicles:
2012 Honda Civic LX Coupe
2006 Honda Pilot LX AWD
2005 Honda Accord LX
2004 Honda Pilot EX-L AWD
1996 Acura RL
1993 Acura Legend L
1991 Acura Integra GS coupe
1990 Acura Integra LS sedan
andysinnh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Random Question

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: