Rear View Mirror sensor - Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums
Register Home Forums Active Topics Auto Loans Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance
MDXers.org is the premier Acura MDX Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 11-30-2012, 12:34 PM   #1 (permalink)

Rear View Mirror sensor

Does anyone know what is the sensor behind the rear view mirror (comes with navigation system)? I know the front's bottom right is the auto dim sensor, but there is one on the back of the mirror.

I want to know if it is ok to put an EZ pass on the glass around that spot.

Any insight would be helpful. Thank you.

Car Model: 2013 MDX Advance
geniiss is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-01-2012, 09:44 AM   #2 (permalink)

Pasted from a web site which sells mirrors

Q: How do Auto Dimming Mirrors work?
A:
1. A forward-facing sensor recognizes low ambient light levels and signals the mirror to begin looking for glare.

A:
2. A rearward-facing sensor then detects glare from the vehicles traveling behind you, sending voltage to the mirror's EC gel in proportion to the amount of glare detected.

A:
3. The mirror dims in proportion to the glare and then clears when the glare is no longer detected.

A:
4. The interior mirror's sensors and electronics control the dimming of the mirrors.

That didn't make much sense to me until I also found this explanation on another web site forum which makes more sense about the function of the front sensor.

I haven't checked but I think you are correct. The mirror "knows" how much to dim by sensing light from in front and from behind. When there is relatively a lot of light from the front, the mirror doesn't darken as much even if there are headlights from behind you, as it assumes you are in a well-lit city street or in daylight, so that you can still see things. When the front sensor senses "dark," it will assume you are out on a dark highway, where it's more important to darken the mirror so you are not blinded by approaching headlights from behind.
ls973800 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2012, 02:18 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thank you.
geniiss is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: