Rust Proofing - Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums
Register Home Forums Active Topics Auto Loans Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance
MDXers.org is the premier Acura MDX Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 11-26-2012, 09:27 PM   #1 (permalink)

Rust Proofing

A while back I posted a question about whether I should bother getting my 2008 MDX rust proofed? I bought this thing used last year. Figuring I will keep it for 5-6 years...rusting proofing is $100...why the hell wouldn't I right? Any specific reasons why I shouldn't. I guess the other question is have any of you never rust proofed your MDXes and after 5-6 years still just fine. Note: I live in Toronto, Ontario.
2008MDex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-26-2012, 09:39 PM   #2 (permalink)

Most cars today are well protected. While it is probably a waste of money as far as the vehicle is concerned, some people feel better when they spend money on their cars. If it will make you sleep better go for it. Your car will sleep well with or without it.
Bill_de is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2012, 10:16 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2008MDex View Post
A while back I posted a question about whether I should bother getting my 2008 MDX rust proofed? I bought this thing used last year. Figuring I will keep it for 5-6 years...rusting proofing is $100...why the hell wouldn't I right? Any specific reasons why I shouldn't. I guess the other question is have any of you never rust proofed your MDXes and after 5-6 years still just fine. Note: I live in Toronto, Ontario.
Did u rust proof your last vehicle?
I think prevention is best. wash undercarriage as often as time permits. road salt+over time=rust.
EX2100 250hp sportboat with wakeboard tower
07 MDX S/E pkg. tow pkg. chrome steps(sold)
gotMDX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2012, 10:19 PM   #4 (permalink)

Well I'm a VW guy. Had two back to back 300,000Km TDI Jettas. Still running the 2nd one and they really don't rust until WELL into year 13. MDX costs about 3 times as much so yeah spending $100 on RPing would make me sleep better actually. I spend that much on coffee.
2008MDex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2012, 10:26 PM   #5 (permalink)

The metallurgy and coatings used during production have come a long way in the past 10-20 years, so they now provide better protection when it leaves the factory than anything you can do to it afterwards. Your car doesn't need rustproofing. Don't waste your money.
Old 11-26-2012, 10:58 PM   #6 (permalink)

Consumer Reports a few years ago showed that rust proofing actually caused more trouble than good. It can trap water in new places according to them. And as others have said, cars are much more resilient to rust. I'll send another post, spend the money on good car washes. Even in salty MN I rarely see rusted out cars.
MnMDXDave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2012, 12:12 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Well I'm a VW guy. Had two back to back 300,000Km TDI Jettas. Still running the 2nd one and they really don't rust until WELL into year 13. MDX costs about 3 times as much so yeah spending $100 on RPing would make me sleep better actually. I spend that much on coffee.
There you go. If you keep the X for 5 years that will be only $20/yr. Happy Zzzzzzzzz.
EX2100 250hp sportboat with wakeboard tower
07 MDX S/E pkg. tow pkg. chrome steps(sold)
gotMDX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2012, 10:34 AM   #8 (permalink)

I have been using Fluid Film for years on the under of my car..I have an 1988 volvo 240 also, with 445,000 on it, and there is no rust whatsoever on the bottom of it. Around here its, about 10.00 a bottle or so. Fluid FilmŪ | Corrosion Preventative, Lubricant and Rust Inhibitor Well worth it. Spray it once a year or so and your all set!
Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2012, 10:43 AM   #9 (permalink)

As several members have stated that modern car really don't need rust proofing. That being said, it is very important to give the car a thorough wash after each heavy snow. You want to wash away the salt underneath which may attack brake components, wheels and other exposed parts.
flash gordon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2012, 11:41 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Any specific reasons why I shouldn't.
I've heard frequently that rustproofing can block various drain holes that are supposed to be open, actually causing rust.
lion9mdx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2012, 01:11 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by flash gordon View Post
As several members have stated that modern car really don't need rust proofing. That being said, it is very important to give the car a thorough wash after each heavy snow. You want to wash away the salt underneath which may attack brake components, wheels and other exposed parts.
Even a small amount of snow may prompt the municipalities to give the roads a good dose of salt.

Until a heavy rain washes the roads down you will be picking up salt. In the spring I drive through some deep puddles with enough speed to clean off the salt.

Years ago, when cars commonly rusted, beach dwellers would put a lawn sprinkler under the car when they got home.
Bill_de is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2012, 01:44 PM   #12 (permalink)

I am in Toronto and have my cars rust proofed by Krown every year. I would recommend it. My friends don't do it and their cars start rusting after 5-6 years. It is a good investment if you plan to keep your X past 6 years
luxcar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2012, 02:43 PM   #13 (permalink)

My 2004 MDX has never been rustproofed. It spent its life in Grand Rapids, Michigan before I bought it and moved it to Chicago. It now has over 135K miles on it. And not a speck of rust.
Old 11-27-2012, 05:50 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsxtasy View Post
My 2004 MDX has never been rustproofed. It spent its life in Grand Rapids, Michigan before I bought it and moved it to Chicago. It now has over 135K miles on it. And not a speck of rust.
I've lived in Kalamazoo (MI) , Chicago and finally in Ottawa (Canada)...Canadians use a lot of salt which accelerates the corrosion. I believe in Kalamazoo, sand was used which created more of a mess but did not corrode metal.

Ever since I got back to Canada, I've been using Krown and my 12 year old civic had little bit of rust (size of a dime) which started after my front windshield replacement.

So to answer OP, get it done. I use Krown which comes highly recommended. BUT ask them to apply silicon to the door seals as repeated application can cause them to sag over time.
sweetadad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2012, 06:40 PM   #15 (permalink)

Grand Rapids uses salt.

You don't need rustproofing on an MDX. Save your money!
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Random Question

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: