Need to add oil - what kind? - Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums
Register Home Forums Active Topics Auto Loans Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance
MDXers.org is the premier Acura MDX Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 11-25-2012, 04:40 PM   #1 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to ShawnCBerg Send a message via Yahoo to ShawnCBerg Send a message via Skype™ to ShawnCBerg
Question Need to add oil - what kind?

"Check oil level" warning has come up a few times in my 08 MDX. Checked and it's a little low. I know to add SAE 5W-20 but does it matter if it's synthetic or not (or synthetic blend)? Just need to add some before I get it to the dealer later this week.

Thanks!
ShawnCBerg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-25-2012, 06:07 PM   #2 (permalink)

It doesn't matter as long as it's the same weight. More important is not to let it get too low.
Bill_de is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2012, 06:17 AM   #3 (permalink)

I would only use the more expensive synthetic if that is the type of oil that is already being used. Otherwise the brand does not matter.

George
Old 11-26-2012, 10:32 AM   #4 (permalink)

If you're going to get your oil changed later this week anyway, I'd just throw in some conventional oil. It's not worth spending for synthetic oil if you're only going to drive a few miles before changing it.
Old 11-26-2012, 11:42 AM   #5 (permalink)

"According to Mobil Oil, it should be fine to mix oils. This manufacturer states it would be unlikely anything bad would happen, such as a gel forming from an interaction of the chemicals (a common fear), because the oils are compatible with each other. In fact, many oils are a blend of natural and synthetic oils. So, if you are low on oil, don't be afraid to add a quart or two of synthetic oil if you are using regular oil or even regular oil if you are using a synthetic. You don't need to rush right out and get an oil change so you'll have "pure" oil."
Bill_de is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2012, 03:15 PM   #6 (permalink)

Synthetic oil is not synthetic as in "made from artificial, man-made ingredients", simply put synthetic oil can be looked at as highly refined petroleum base stock without the less desirable qualities found in traditionally refined base stocks. I often wondered what synthetic oil was made from (assuming it wasn't from crude) and upon reading some trade magazine articles and talking to a few well-educated mechanics I found out that there is nothing truly synthetic about synthetic oil (we all assume synthetic oil has no relation to crude oil), but rather it is highly refined and processed crude or from a process combining the pure raw ingredients (extracted from crude oil) and "synthesizing" them back into a product that is very similar to traditional base stock but without the less useful ingredients. At the end of the day, ALL the oil in your engine started out as crude oil, so mix away as no harm will be done.
carli123 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2012, 03:17 PM   #7 (permalink)
Super Senior Member

07 MDX's are having "check oil" sensors going bad.....My MID alerted me that my oil was low after I had just changed it a few weeks prior. It was fine...called dealership to learn about this known issue.....Just an fyi...
2007 RDX Tech package/Pearl White/Ebony
2007 MDX Sport/Ent. Black/Ebony

2006 Lucchese Classics Black/Cherry Nile Crocodile belly, upper Black US Buffalo

** Converted to Zaino on 06-12-2002 **
Fabvsix is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Random Question

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: