HomeLink transceiver - Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums
Register Home Forums Active Topics Auto Loans Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance
MDXers.org is the premier Acura MDX Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 11-24-2012, 08:00 PM   #1 (permalink)

HomeLink transceiver

The garage door opener remote transmitter was programmed to work with the
HomeLink transceiver in my 2008 MDX and I can open and close the garage door with the
HomeLink transceiver. The problem is if I leave my MDX in the street,
somebody can open my garage door by using the HomeLink transceiver. How do
you prevent the transceiver from opening my garage door if I leave my
vehicle outside the house?

Thank you so much for all your advice.
ken88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-24-2012, 08:25 PM   #2 (permalink)

Lock the car doors.

Deprogram it by holding the first and third button. But you'll have to reprogram it to use it.
Bill_de is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2012, 10:02 PM   #3 (permalink)

I always lock the doors. I am thinking of all the car thieves who want to rob the house too!!!!
I deprogram it by holding the first and third buttons and reprogram it again and I can still open the garage door from the HomeLink transceiver without the ignition key turns on!!!

ANy other idea how to fix this problem?? Thanks.
Old 11-24-2012, 11:32 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken88 View Post
I always lock the doors. I am thinking of all the car thieves who want to rob the house too!!!!
I deprogram it by holding the first and third buttons and reprogram it again and I can still open the garage door from the HomeLink transceiver without the ignition key turns on!!!

ANy other idea how to fix this problem?? Thanks.
Don't use HomeLink, uses the remotes that came with the opener and bring them in the house with you.

Maybe someday they will include the HomeLink in the key fob, but until then I don't know of any other options.
Old 11-25-2012, 12:33 AM   #5 (permalink)

Move to a safer neighborhood. Thieves want quick success. Put owner paperwork on the hidden trunk. They probably won't work that one out.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App
boston is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2012, 10:15 AM   #6 (permalink)

I have read on a few other forums of people who have the same concern. One of the work arounds is to install a switch in the garage which shuts off the power to the garage opener head unit.

When you come home and park on the street, use the Homelink and walk into the garage. Flip the switch and shut off the garage door power. When you leave, flip the switch, exit through the garage, and shut the door once you are in the car.

Or as others have said, deprogram the Homelink and buy a key ring size garage door opener. garage door key fob | eBay

The only other option I have read about is to wire the Homelink to only power up when the ignition is on. You can check that option and see if the Homelink memory is retained without constant 12v to the unit. It should be because you don't lose memory if the battery is disconnected.
ls973800 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2012, 11:17 AM   #7 (permalink)

Thanks to all of you for your great ideas. The reason I brought this issue up is that the power in the HomeLink in other luxury vehicles, like the Audi is cut off once the ignition is shut off. Thus, there is no way for anyone to use the HomeLink to open the garage door from the street when the engine is shut off. My point is all are MDX's built that way which leave the power in the HomeLink on when the ignition is shut off? Are all the owners of MDX's having this same issue? Thanks.
Old 11-25-2012, 11:32 AM   #8 (permalink)

I don't think most people ever give it a second thought. For years everybody clipped the remotes to the sun visors. Now, most folks probably still do because they can't figure out how to use HomeLink ... or program their Tivo's.
Old 11-25-2012, 11:40 AM   #9 (permalink)

Just thought that maybe you should contact Johnson Controls.

HomeLink
Old 11-25-2012, 11:54 AM   #10 (permalink)

To Bill_de and others: to clarify the matter, are you all having the same issue, that is, you can still open your garage door when the ignition is turned off? Thanks.
Old 11-25-2012, 12:49 PM   #11 (permalink)

My opener controls in the garage include a button that, when pushed, kills the ability to receive a signal from all the remotes, even the ones that came with it. Before going to this remote, I did as ls973800 suggested, and simply put a wall switch near the door into the house,that killed power to the door opener.
Old 11-25-2012, 01:47 PM   #12 (permalink)

Yes, I can open my garage with the key out of the car. I wouldn't have it any other way, but I do see your concerns.
Old 11-25-2012, 11:41 PM   #13 (permalink)

My built-in remote works only for a minute, after I remove the key, and then it turns off and cannot be used any more. My MDX is a 2011 Model.

AC

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken88 View Post
To Bill_de and others: to clarify the matter, are you all having the same issue, that is, you can still open your garage door when the ignition is turned off? Thanks.
... side windows acrylic deflectors,
... Michelin Latitude Tour HP 275/45R19
2010 Acura TL Tech.
2001 Mercedes ML 320
2005 Mercedes ML 500 AMG Package
AC_MDX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2012, 12:37 AM   #14 (permalink)

In my Audi A6, the Homelink buttons are disabled when the car ignition/accessory is turned off. Not sure why Honda/Acura doesn't do the same thing.
fender4645 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2012, 12:15 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC_MDX View Post
My built-in remote works only for a minute, after I remove the key, and then it turns off and cannot be used any more. My MDX is a 2011 Model.

AC
Is that something you found a way to program? I parked my car last night with the doors unlocked so I would not even use the key fob to unlock the door. I went out this morning, opened the door and reached in and hit the HomeLink button. The garage door opened as usual. This is a 2011 Tech.

It was an early one built in 2010. I wonder if they added that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Random Question

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: