HomeLink transceiver - Page 4 - Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums
Register Home Forums Active Topics Auto Loans Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance
MDXers.org is the premier Acura MDX Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 12-07-2012, 05:34 PM   #46 (permalink)

AC,

I'm not saying it is not the car manufacturers decision. I am saying that, according to HomeLink, most of the industry wires it the way Acura does. So, if you are concerned enough to go to a TV station, you should tell them to go after the whole auto industry, not just Acura.
Bill_de is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-07-2012, 05:40 PM   #47 (permalink)

Did anyone try setting off their car alarm to see if it is still active.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App
tolson37 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2012, 05:48 PM   #48 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tolson37 View Post
Did anyone try setting off their car alarm to see if it is still active.

I did by accident this summer. The car was in the driveway with the windows open. I must have hit the lock button when I hung the keys over my workbench. When I went out to the car it was locked and without thinking I reached in and opened the door. I jumped three feet in the air.
Old 12-07-2012, 07:17 PM   #49 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill_de View Post
I did by accident this summer. The car was in the driveway with the windows open. I must have hit the lock button when I hung the keys over my workbench. When I went out to the car it was locked and without thinking I reached in and opened the door. I jumped three feet in the air.
Did the home link button still work?

tolson37 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2012, 07:48 PM   #50 (permalink)

Let me jump in here, it's an Acura thing given that they are the only one who decide how the remote is to be wired, not HomeLink. The worst part is when I talked to an Acura rep, the latter did not give a **** and had the guts to tell me I have to pay the garage to rewire it!!!!! With enough complaints form all Acura owners, Acura will take the necessary action to address this security issue. I told the rep to let the design engineer know about this and she said she would put a note on their system!!! I doubt if she had done it as she had a "could not care less" attitude. So the more owners start calling Acura to voice their concerns, Acura would do something, hopefully.
ken88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2012, 07:48 PM   #51 (permalink)

I don't follow your line of reasoning. If other vehicle brands put only one screw on the brake caliper holder, does that mean that Acura should just use only one screw?

It is very poor reasoning that the bad of another one becomes a good excuse for some to do nothing.

Acura acknowledged that it was their fault and that they will try to fix it in the future. It is hard to believe that they did not know this issue before, which means either the owners did not contact Acura enough to make them feel like it is important or they just opted to ignored the owners and not to notify owners about the poor design.

Either way, we have a chance here to provide the feedback to Acura in order for them to do the simple but important fix. I want to make sure the fix is in the next released vehicle.

From your position in this post, you seem to try to block and ridicularize any owners who want to make sure Acura receives the proper feedback for Acura to solve this simple but key issue for anybody leaving their vehicle outside their homes and having programmed their HomeLink remotes.

I am a person who will be proactive in trying to get something done about significant issues that need to be solved/addressed. If it is not an issue with you, then why are you arguing. I don't see your point in trying to convince other owners that if it is not a problem with you then the problem doesn't exist for anybody and that owners should not contact Acura to provide the needed feedback to make sure the correct priority is applied to the issue so that it can be fixed on the next model.

Like they say, you are either part of the solution or part of the problem..

AC

Quote:
AC,

I'm not saying it is not the car manufacturers decision. I am saying that, according to HomeLink, most of the industry wires it the way Acura does. So, if you are concerned enough to go to a TV station, you should tell them to go after the whole auto industry, not just Acura.
... side windows acrylic deflectors,
... Michelin Latitude Tour HP 275/45R19
2010 Acura TL Tech.
2001 Mercedes ML 320
2005 Mercedes ML 500 AMG Package
AC_MDX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2012, 08:23 PM   #52 (permalink)

AC,

You misunderstand what I'm saying ... probably my fault.

My position is that if you feel so strongly that this is dangerous, you shouldn't stop at only protecting Acura owners. If you are going to shed light on what you perceive as a dangerous situation, you should try to alert owners of the other brands (meaning most of them) that you think are in danger.

As far as Acura admitting a mistake, did you talk to the engineer or the customer service rep at the call center?

Ken,
Acura is not the only one who made the decision. So did (according to your post) most of the other manufacturers.
Old 12-07-2012, 08:26 PM   #53 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tolson37 View Post
Did the home link button still work?

I don't know, the garage was open. During the summer most people leave the garages open until they are in for the night.
Old 12-07-2012, 09:27 PM   #54 (permalink)

Well, I am not mother Theresa, I just want the next model to have this issue solved, and if possible have a TSB available for this problem. You should call Acura and tell them that you like the way it is so that they don't fix your vehicle by mistake..

I understand a lot of electronics so I may buy a used HomeLink module and possibly modify the wiring or circuit board. I saw them fir about 80 dollars on the web. Unluckily, my work takes all my time but it is on my list of things to do.

Tim was nice to provide me with a simple wiring diagram to start with. Nice guy..!!

As most people knows, Acura will only let you interact with customer service but they consulted with their managers to check how they needed to capture and route the information within the company.

Quote:
AC,

You misunderstand what I'm saying ... probably my fault.

My position is that if you feel so strongly that this is dangerous, you shouldn't stop at only protecting Acura owners. If you are going to shed light on what you perceive as a dangerous situation, you should try to alert owners of the other brands (meaning most of them) that you think are in danger.

As far as Acura admitting a mistake, did you talk to the engineer or the customer service rep at the call center?

Ken,
Acura is not the only one who made the decision. So did (according to your post) most of the other manufacturers.
... side windows acrylic deflectors,
... Michelin Latitude Tour HP 275/45R19
2010 Acura TL Tech.
2001 Mercedes ML 320
2005 Mercedes ML 500 AMG Package
AC_MDX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2012, 09:38 PM   #55 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC_MDX View Post
Tim was nice to provide me with a simple wiring diagram to start with. Nice guy..!!
Old 12-08-2012, 10:10 AM   #56 (permalink)

Bill_de, you are right to say Acura is not the only manufacturer not wiring the Homelink device to the accessory (per Acura response) and that this is why the remote still works without the ignition turned on. To me, this is the dump design as opposed to a smart design where the wiring from the HomeLink is disabled when the ignition is turned off. It is a no brainer to have an added security feature to minimize unauthorized access to your home. Who wants to have their homes broken in if you have a choice of a smart design from any car manufacturer to prevent thieves from breaking into your homes?? This is why I will still say it is an Acura thing who have the choice of offering a safer feature when wiring the HomeLink. It would not cost any manufacturer any more to simply wire the device correctly in the first place.
ken88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2012, 02:12 AM   #57 (permalink)

Subscribed to receive future posts.
2007 LS460
Stuart S is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-14-2014, 01:43 PM   #58 (permalink)

Any progress on this being corrected by dealer(s) or Acura?

Feff
Old 04-15-2014, 09:13 PM   #59 (permalink)

I wouldn't expect Acura to correct/recall this issue.

My 2001 TL has the same issue with the homelink powered on all the time. I modified the wiring to have it powered on with the ignition switch which also caused the map lights only to come on with the ignition which I didn't mind.

When I hardwired in my radar detector on my MDX I also modified the wiring to have the homelink powered on with the ignition switch. After testing it I realized that the dome lights did not power on with the door being opened. I forgot that the MDX has the dome lights as part of the front overhead console unlike my TL so I reversed the wiring back to factory.

In order to modify the homelink to be powered on with the ignition will require bringing in a separate wire (powered on with the ignition) and cutting a trace on the circuit board to isolate the homelink circuit from the overhead light circuit. I need some more spare time to investigate this mod. For now I will park my MDX inside the garage.
RJNonnie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Random Question

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: