2012 Transmission Clunk/Lunge - Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums
Register Home Forums Active Topics Auto Loans Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance
MDXers.org is the premier Acura MDX Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 11-22-2012, 12:25 PM   #1 (permalink)

2012 Transmission Clunk/Lunge

Pretty new user to this site as we purchased our base-model 2012 in late September. I'm not sure if there's an issue with our transmission, but I hear a clunk and about a 1 second lag in forward movement after using the parking break on our sloped driveway.

We usually park our vehicles in the garage, but on the occasion when I park in the driveway I set the parking brake with the vehicle in D, then with my foot still on the break shift to P. When I'm ready to move the vehicle into the garage I reverse the process - shift from P to D, then with my foot still on the break I release the parking brake. I read that this is the order the process should be done in from an older Honda/Acura owner's manual online.

After I shift to D and release the parking break to pull the vehicle into the garage, I hear a clunk noise and there's about a 1 second lag before the vehicle moves forward - almost a sort of lunge. Is this an issue I should be concerned with/have inspected or a normal occurrence?

Thanks for your help.
desmonsm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-22-2012, 03:06 PM   #2 (permalink)

That clunk noise is probably the brakes releasing from the rotors. Our cars have hill assist which is why you're feeling the lag, it prevents the car from rolling back. Good for steep hills, but you get used to it on your driveway and smaller inclines to wait a sec and it will release.
blingman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-23-2012, 11:24 AM   #3 (permalink)

Or pop it into reverse, then into drive and your good to go. It is the hill start assist.

2014 Escape Titanium 2.0 Turbo 4WD
Tsturbo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-23-2012, 05:39 PM   #4 (permalink)

The hill start assist mode is one of my favorites options in the Acura. It really comes handy very often whenever you are stopped in a slope of any kind.

The noise most likely comes from the brake pads snapping back to place after the assist mode applies the brakes to avoid going backwards and then going forward after accelerating. I will assume the noise will occur more often, or more noticeable, when the pads are worn or at it's middle life.

AC
... side windows acrylic deflectors,
... Michelin Latitude Tour HP 275/45R19
2010 Acura TL Tech.
2001 Mercedes ML 320
2005 Mercedes ML 500 AMG Package
AC_MDX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-23-2012, 05:50 PM   #5 (permalink)

I've noticed it's a bit abrupt when it releases, but does a decent job. I've started just waiting until the brakes release on their own and then I get on the gas. My Challenger SRT8 has this but with a manual transmission and it will hold until it senses forward motion....so you can sit forever on a hill with the clutch in or in neutral. I like that better but it's a much bigger deal in a manual than an auto.
Old 11-24-2012, 05:37 PM   #6 (permalink)

Odd. I've been on plenty of hills over the last 7 months of ownership and there has neither been lurching nor clunking when hill assist disengages. It's all smooth.

2012 Acura MDX Tech
Bali Blue/Taupe
Body side molding
Chrome side steps
Cargo cover
Wood grain shift knob
OEM hitch/wiring harness
TheJimbo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2012, 03:23 PM   #7 (permalink)
Super Senior Member

When you park on a hill make sure when you stop to put the vehicle in "neutral" apply emergency brake, let is roll against brake as opposed to transmission, then put in park thus avoiding the "CLUNK" noise you are describing.....
2007 RDX Tech package/Pearl White/Ebony
2007 MDX Sport/Ent. Black/Ebony

2006 Lucchese Classics Black/Cherry Nile Crocodile belly, upper Black US Buffalo

** Converted to Zaino on 06-12-2002 **
Fabvsix is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Random Question

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: