2012 MDX Tech LED Help - Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums
Register Home Forums Active Topics Auto Loans Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance
MDXers.org is the premier Acura MDX Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 10-29-2012, 02:12 AM   #1 (permalink)

2012 MDX Tech LED Help

I would like to swap these yellow bulbs for LED bulbs, but I'm not sure what bulbs to get.

Could any of you point me in the right direction?

I would like to swap out the

driver & passenger foot lights (2)
door lights (4)
inside trunk/tail gate lights (2)
license plates (2)
fog lights (2)
low beams (2)
parking light (front side markers?) (2)

does vleds have all of these bulbs on their site?

Thanks in advance!
Attached Thumbnails
2012 MDX Tech LED Help-img_8249.jpg  
proview3r is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-29-2012, 03:16 AM   #2 (permalink)

Welcome to the forum, and congrats for your new mdx.

Most of your questions are answered here.

http://www.mdxers.org/forums/74-2007...d-smt-mod.html

For number 2 marker you could choose 194/168 bulbs, something like this.
http://www.v-leds.com/6K-WHITE-5-LED...84278-1-2.html

As for the pictures, 1, is corner markers, and for 2. low beam you primarly need to decide if you would like to go for 5000K color beam or 6000K colors.
Once you choose that you need to make sure your corner markers match the low beam color.

The top choices for low beam (2) in the market are Philips or Osram. Both are good. Genuine Philips is rare to find, dont go ebay way.
Xenon Depot is a genuine seller of Philips bulbs. As for me i went the philips ultinon 6000K way, it costed me around 200 dollars just for the d2s bulbs.
Philips Ultinon 6000k D2S Bulb

But you could also try Osram
D2S: Osram Xenarc 66240 CBI - HID Bulbs from The Retrofit Source Inc

Based on the headlights you could choose a Fog HID kit to color match.

We have a member here named FAB, he is a good source for all the led lights that you would need in your car.
Other than that..
V-Led and iJDMToys are a good source for led replacements, if you want to go with all the hassle of hand picking your own components based on how much lumens you want.
Else just stick with the seller Fab. He has a kit that takes care of all your led needs.

As for me, i ended up hand picking all the leds through three sources v-leds, ijdmtoys and Xenon Depot. Costed more, crazy time consuming, but in the end couldnt be more satisfied with the end result.

For Vanity i choose 2 of these.
http://www.v-leds.com/6K-WHITE-HI-PO...-p9768539.html

For Footwell area, for driver and passenger side i choose ultra blue, brought these.
http://store.ijdmtoy.com/12-SMD-LED-..._d31_sku91.htm

For Door and trunk courtesy i choose this. *3 pairs*
http://www.v-leds.com/6K-WHITE-4-LED...-p5768086.html

For the corner markers *Number 2 of your pic* i choose this. These are extremely bright.
http://store.ijdmtoy.com/High-Power-...t10-sku323.htm

For the license plate i choose these.
http://store.ijdmtoy.com/2825-168-19...p_acura_c3.htm

For Low beam I went with 2 of Philips Ultinon's D2S 6000K *Number 2 in your pic*
http://www.kbcarstuff.com/Philips-Ul.../pb-d2s-6k.htm

Not decided for the fog lights yet, will get that from Fab.

DRL waiting for V3 Trition to be released by V-Leds.
MANswers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-29-2012, 10:43 PM   #3 (permalink)

Wow thanks for the detailed explanation!! Really appreciate it.

Those are some expensive D2S bulbs.. Can't I use something like this ? D2S HID Bulbs - D2R HID Bulbs | Xenon HID Headlights | HID Light Bulbs
(I can use anything, as long as it's D2S, right? I don't feel like dropping $200 for light bulbs)

(Curious) Are the sockets the same for the door courtesy/trunk courtesy, license plates, and corner markers?

Also, I can use any 9005 for high beam correct?

I came across several threads that mention where using some aftermarket bulbs, they get an error message in the console screen. What lights do that apply to? just DRL?
Old 10-29-2012, 11:43 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Those are some expensive D2S bulbs.. Can't I use something like this ? D2S HID Bulbs - D2R HID Bulbs | Xenon HID Headlights | HID Light Bulbs
(I can use anything, as long as it's D2S, right? I don't feel like dropping $200 for light bulbs)
Those are absolutely fine. Infact you dont need to drop 200 dollars for lights, its just that it was my thinking.. that replacing a bulb in the MDX is not as easy as other cars, some people remove the entire bumper, some people struggle with various tools including mirrors to get their hands through the closed area under the hood.. hence i wanted to take good opportunity of this replacement and install something that will last longer and look awesome.
Instead of going for a non-brand bulb from jdmtoys, i would suggest you to look into a reputed brand that can be brought for around a 100 bucks for a pair, something like a GE bulbs that manufactured under the name MTEC, you could look at these as well.
"US Distributor" Mtec GE 6000K D2R Xenon HID Bulbs | eBay
They are a genuine sellers on ebay for MTEC bulbs.

Quote:
(Curious) Are the sockets the same for the door courtesy/trunk courtesy, license plates, and corner markers?
Yes all those are 168/194 socket, but make sure you dont buy something taller or wider that wont fit the housing of the bulbs in the MDX.

You can reach out to Fab he has everything that you need. Else just follow either LionSpeeds tutorial in the first link above, or just get the ones i posted.

Quote:
Also, I can use any 9005 for high beam correct?
Very few members in here have changed their high beams, not saying you dont need to as well, but we rarely use them, so why to take all that hassle.

Quote:
I came across several threads that mention where using some aftermarket bulbs, they get an error message in the console screen. What lights do that apply to? just DRL?
This is a hit or miss, many members installed the DRL led, and got away with it, and few hit upon errors after a few days/weeks/months.
I suggest either wait for V3 Triton by V-Leds which is due to be lauch by November end, or just get this one.
5K WHITE 28 LED 13W DRL/FOG LIGHT BULBS HB3 9005 H10 9145 | 1 PAIR

I have also received these bulbs recently, and i am installing them as its been shipped, so far i have installed the footwell leds for driver and passenger with ultra blue Festoon 31mm leds, have changed the leds on both the Vanity mirrors, changed the license plate leds.. however i am wary about changing the leds on the door courtesy.

Was reading around the forum, and realised lots of members have faced the wrath of mdx's electronic circutory being fried when they replaced their door courtesy leds, specifically the rear doors. I guess there is a safe technique on how to install those door courtesy leds, without blowing a fuse, or frying up your electronic circuits. A lot of members did not face this issue.
I am also waiting for a reply from the forum members asking them about how to avoid this issue. There's not much traffic on the forum these days, like back in the days few yrs back. Lots of members who have installed the leds are not at all active. Others are just silent lurkers.
Mods : Philips Ultinon D2S 6000K | Morimoto Elite 6000K HID H11 Kit | Full LED Interior | Wood Grain Shift Knob | Wood Grain Steering | XPel Ultimate Clear Bra
Old 10-30-2012, 12:25 AM   #5 (permalink)

Good point about not needing to replace the high beams. I guess I won't replace it.

I won't replace the DRL/Fog lights either, I don't want to have error lights on the console appearing.

I'm thinking of getting 8k temp for my low beams. Got it for my previous car and I like the slight blue tint it has.

How did you end up installing the low beams? Did you have to take off the front bumper?

Ah.. now you're making me scared of replacing the door courtesy lights.
Old 10-30-2012, 04:10 AM   #6 (permalink)

some people struggle with various tools including mirrors to get their hands through the closed area under the hood
Old 10-30-2012, 01:48 PM   #7 (permalink)
Fab

I wouldn't recommend switching to 8000K D2S, you loose ALOT of light viability and at night you wont be able to see anything. If you really want a tint of blue the furthest I recommend you go is 6000k.

As for actual switching of the bulb, it is fairly easy, however, I can understand why it may seem hard because your unfamiliar with removing covers and unhooking switches.

Courtesy lights such as the ones under the door are very easy to switch. Most of the time your lights won't blow as long as you turn off the lights prior to removing bulb or removing it from the housing (fairly easy). Also as logn as you use a premium LED chip that has resistor, it should be able to regulate the power surge and prevent fuses from blowing,
Old 10-30-2012, 09:03 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fab View Post
I wouldn't recommend switching to 8000K D2S, you loose ALOT of light viability and at night you wont be able to see anything. If you really want a tint of blue the furthest I recommend you go is 6000k.

As for actual switching of the bulb, it is fairly easy, however, I can understand why it may seem hard because your unfamiliar with removing covers and unhooking switches.

Courtesy lights such as the ones under the door are very easy to switch. Most of the time your lights won't blow as long as you turn off the lights prior to removing bulb or removing it from the housing (fairly easy). Also as logn as you use a premium LED chip that has resistor, it should be able to regulate the power surge and prevent fuses from blowing,
Fab, i have sent you a PM for buying some led bulbs.
Please send me the paypal link.
Mods : Philips Ultinon D2S 6000K | Morimoto Elite 6000K HID H11 Kit | Full LED Interior | Wood Grain Shift Knob | Wood Grain Steering | XPel Ultimate Clear Bra
Old 10-30-2012, 10:48 PM   #9 (permalink)
Fab

Sent!
Old 10-31-2012, 12:15 AM   #10 (permalink)

Did not receieve anything yet.
Old 10-31-2012, 12:16 AM   #11 (permalink)

Ok, thanks, i got it through facebook.
Old 10-31-2012, 12:27 AM   #12 (permalink)

Fab, i have made the payment.

proview3r, you can just blindly trust Fab for all your led needs, just get the entire interior led kit from him, and he know what goes and fits perfectly in your car.
Old 10-31-2012, 03:35 PM   #13 (permalink)

too late D: ordered all of them already hehe. except DRL/Fogs/High Beams

I got the same vanity mirror, license plates, foot courtesy, front markers as you.
Old 10-31-2012, 06:54 PM   #14 (permalink)
Fab

Old 10-31-2012, 11:28 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by proview3r View Post
I got the same vanity mirror, license plates, foot courtesy, front markers as you.
Called V-Leds again to confirm about V3 Tritons, ironically they mentioned they wont fit the MDX.
I placed an order for these DRL's,
5K WHITE 28 LED 13W DRL/FOG LIGHT BULBS HB3 9005 H10 9145 | 1 PAIR B/O

Lots of members on the forum have used these, and havent received any errors.
They are a perfect match to the 6000K HID fog kit or headlights, as the 6000K leds are a lot bluer when it comes to leds. 5000K is suitable for day.

Did you try looking at OSRAM D2S bulbs at theretrofitsource.com?
They are cheaper and better in quality than the most out there.
You could also look at MTEC, ebay seller mtecpower is a genuine US distributor.

For the HID Kit for Fogs, i will place an order with Fab soon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Random Question

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: