07 MDX - seat and steering wheel settings don't work - Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums
Register Home Forums Active Topics Auto Loans Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance
MDXers.org is the premier Acura MDX Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 10-12-2012, 10:00 PM   #1 (permalink)
TJK

07 MDX - seat and steering wheel settings don't work

This is a bizarre problem, so any insight on the cause and repair would be greatly appreciated. on my 07 MDX the seat settings no longer work when I press the button. They also don't work when I unlock the doors with my keyless entry and insert the key into the ignition. The DO work if I set the positions, turn off the car, but don't lock the door. In the last scenario, the seat, steering wheel, and side-view mirrors return to their set positions when I insert the key into the ignition. The dealer service rep told me that it was probably due to a broken motor in one of the side-view mirrors. I'm not sure I believe that, but if it is true it sounds like a terrible design. Has anyone had this problem, and does anyone know how to fix it?
Advertisement

Old 10-12-2012, 10:46 PM   #2 (permalink)

It may be true.
In my 2008 same thing happened and the problem was actuator in the mirror.
Luckily it was under warrenty...having said that actuator motor is very easy to change. I did mine in less then 30 min.

Do a search on memory seats or mirror actuator motor on this site.
Sterling Grey with EbonyEbony
--
2011 Lexus ES350
Black with Parchment
--
2000 Infiniti I30 - Totalled by red light runner
1995 Infiniti G20 - Sold
1994 Nissan Sentra - Sold
sanjaysdca is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-13-2012, 08:28 PM   #3 (permalink)

the seat settings and the mirror positions are all interconnected on the same circuit. so if one of the components is acting quirky is messes with the whole thing. one ofmy side mirror motors was on it's way out (had it replaced under warranty). my SA told me that the system is all linked together: the key fob talking to the car, the mirror and seat settings, steering wheel...if one goes goofy, then the steering wheel stops telescoping and the seat settings stop working.

check your mirrors when you put the car into reverse. see if the mirrors tilt down like they are suppose to. clicking or stuttering or getting stuck are not normal. if all is well...then the key fob is not syncing with the car. you may need to re sync the key fob to the car in this case.

'05 TL 6MT w/navi--AM/ebony--lightly modded
trimdx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-14-2012, 05:20 PM   #4 (permalink)

I'm having the same issue with my 2007. Keep us posted on your quest for answers.
campdust is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-15-2012, 02:43 PM   #5 (permalink)

I have a 2008 and had the memory recall problem. My steering wheel would never come back to where I had adjusted. The dealer replaced both actuator motors on the mirrors and it worked for about a day or two. My warranty is over now and I've gotten use to pressing the memory button every time I get into the car.

Well, fast forward to 10 months later and I brought my car in for the transmission update and p/s change and they told me that my battery was weak and "can" cause memory recall not to work. I replaced the battery with an Interstate Megatron and my memory seat, mirrors, steering has worked for about 2 weeks now. So if anyone is still having problems after the mirrors motors are replaced, check the battery.
mazterlee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-18-2012, 06:00 PM   #6 (permalink)

I've had a problem with the steering wheel not telescoping completely when I start the engine before it is done telescoping and randomly (with cold weather when it has been sitting a day or two) I have to always press the memory button to get it to go the rest of the way. I took it to the dealer one day when it did it every time, they couldn't find anything after a half-hour of those failures and then it didn't do it again for months.

I've had 3-4 mirror actuators replaced, battery cables, the ENTIRE steering column, and just last week the memory module (after they had 8 error messages in the car's computer). The next day, it failed again.

This will likely be a TSB someday if there are enough '07s even around for Acura to care. Something is wrong and they don't know what it is. I've had Acura extend my warranty for this issue.
mdx07kc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-18-2012, 08:27 PM   #7 (permalink)
Super Senior Member

Tetris Champion

Send a message via AIM to Hodog16
Since I can remember my MDX will move the settings, but it takes me probably 5-6 presses of the button to get the settings finalized. Basically every time I push the button the mirrors and seat move a little, then it stops. I have to push the button repeatedly to get the positions to change incrementally.

Sometimes I even have to open and close the door to get the buttons to work again, but they eventually do. I've never mentioned it to the dealer since I only change the positions probably once a week if that much, and I don't want them taking apart my door for a small issue.
Old 10-19-2012, 12:18 PM   #8 (permalink)

There is a TSB: B09-047

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...5Zy9MTxIis3Qdw

Symptoms are mirror chattering when they move, failure to move the steering wheel, mirrors and seat when a key is inserted, driver door opened or seat button position pushed.

Acura recommends replacing both mirror activators. I'm going to try this for my 07.
Kryptyde is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2012, 12:01 PM   #9 (permalink)

Kryptyde - Did you resolve the issue once you replace the mirror actuators?
tcogle23 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2012, 02:45 PM   #10 (permalink)

i had the pass. side mirror actuator replaced during the summer, and mentioned the driver's side mirror not working. they checked the DS mirror and it was behaving. my key fob intermittently wasn't talking to the car still after the PS mirror was fixed. i had mentioned this to the dealer already.

i went in recently for service and told them about the DS mirror and the keyfob. they checked again and sure enough the DS mirror wasn't working at all. they replaced the mirror actuator on the DS. so far, the key fob is talking to the car fine and my settings are engaging like they are suppose to.

if it starts to go goofy again, then i'll suspect the battery (when the battery starts going bad, electronics in the car start to act weird, lights flicker, car hard starts...any combo at any time). crappy OEM batteries.

'05 TL 6MT w/navi--AM/ebony--lightly modded
trimdx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2012, 03:56 PM   #11 (permalink)

See here:
http://www.mdxers.org/forums/74-2007...ing-weird.html
PininFarina456 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2012, 07:12 AM   #12 (permalink)

Just in case there is any question, I can confirm that the replacement of the mirror actuators solves this issue. It happened to me once as well as to 2 of my coworkers. In each situation, it came down to the mirror actuator having issues. I actually had the lead tech come out to explain the ins-and-outs of the issue, but since this occurred 3 or so years ago, I can't remember the details. Since the actuators were replaced on my X, I have had no issues with the memory functions. Sadly, my passenger side mirror has begun chattering again... Thank goodness for my Acura Care warranty. =)
2007 Acura MDX Tech/Ent Package - Dark Cherry Pearl/Ebony, front & rear garnishes, Sport Running Boards, Black 19x8.5 MD1's, Hardwired V1, Limo Tint, SMT LED's for interior and exterior, 6500K HID Headlights & Fogs, XM Sat/Traffic, Rear View Camera Mod, hardwired Proclip, Gentex Mirror, color matched: bumpers, grill, mud flaps, garnishes, SRBís.

MDXers.org "Ride of the Month" April 2010
Drift King is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-20-2014, 12:21 PM   #13 (permalink)
TJK

Thumbs up It was the mirror!

Sorry I never updated this. The problem was the mirror motor. The wiring is linked through the motor module, so a faulty motor affects a lot of different electrical functions. Replacing was easy - just be careful to not use tools with sharp edges and make sure you have something soft under the mirror in case anything slips out and falls to the floor.
TJK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Random Question

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: