New Nav Updates - Page 2 - Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums
Register Home Forums Active Topics Auto Loans Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance
MDXers.org is the premier Acura MDX Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 10-23-2012, 06:25 AM   #16 (permalink)

I prefer the integration of built-in navi. When I have the stereo loud, the navi will lower the volume when it's time to give directions. If I'm using a store bought GPS or my iPhone, I'll never hear the directions over the stereo. Plus it's one less thing to plug in or charge up first. Personal preference.

2012 Acura MDX Tech
Bali Blue/Taupe
Body side molding
Chrome side steps
Cargo cover
Wood grain shift knob
OEM hitch/wiring harness
TheJimbo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-17-2012, 11:13 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC_MDX View Post
You can go to NAVTEQ, which is the company that makes the navigation sogtware. They usually are a little cheaper.
Not true. When Acura sends you links to buy a replacement DVD, or when you go to Acura's update site at www.acuranavi.com , either way you'll be going to the Navteq website at navigation.com So the price is exactly the same.
Old 11-18-2012, 09:31 AM   #18 (permalink)

True when buying online and not true when you buy from the dealer's walk-in parts department.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsxtasy View Post
Not true. When Acura sends you links to buy a replacement DVD, or when you go to Acura's update site at The Official Acura Map Update Site. , either way you'll be going to the Navteq website at navigation.com So the price is exactly the same.
... side windows acrylic deflectors,
... Michelin Latitude Tour HP 275/45R19
2010 Acura TL Tech.
2001 Mercedes ML 320
2005 Mercedes ML 500 AMG Package
AC_MDX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2013, 10:00 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by leaffan View Post
If you put 2010, 2011, or 2012 MDX into that page it says:

Our records indicate that the map that you have in your navigation system is our most recent release.

Does that mean they has not been an update for the 2010 model in over two years? When should I expect a map update for my 2012 ?Also, why would any one be incented to buy the MapCare for a discounted 2 updates in two years, if they don't update them that frequently.
Checked the Navteq site again this evening. Same response. Why do Garmin and Tomtom come out with updates yearly, but Navteq/Acura haven't for more than 3 years? Or is this a web site error, and somehow there has been an update... ?
Old 01-25-2013, 11:06 AM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Checked the Navteq site again this evening. Same response. Why do Garmin and Tomtom come out with updates yearly, but Navteq/Acura haven't for more than 3 years? Or is this a web site error, and somehow there has been an update... ?
It's probably a website error. I know Navteq/Acura updates the ones for the first gen MDX on a yearly basis, and I can't believe the second gen would be any different.
Old 01-25-2013, 11:53 AM   #21 (permalink)

Re: New Nav Updates

And something I've done the last two years is to sell the previous update DVD on EBay. It helps offset the ridiculously high cost of these annual discs. For whatever that's worth . . .

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AutoGuide.Com Free App
ac5aa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2013, 11:32 PM   #22 (permalink)

Garmin uses Navteq maps, as do many other GPS makers. One has to wonder why the updates cost so much when you can buy a GPS unit with free lifetime maps for less money. I just traded in my MDX for an Odyssey and didn't get GPS with it for that reason.

07 MDX sport
07 Specialized Tarmac
09 Brompton M3L-X
09 Ritchey Breakaway/SRAM Force
adr5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2013, 11:00 AM   #23 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsxtasy View Post
It's probably a website error. I know Navteq/Acura updates the ones for the first gen MDX on a yearly basis, and I can't believe the second gen would be any different.
The TSX has a similar story - no updates yet for 2011 or 2012 model years.

Time to use their online "Contact Us" form ( how 1990s ) ... I'll report back what they say.
Old 01-27-2013, 03:12 AM   #24 (permalink)

I, like most people, use GPS rather infrequently. So I won't mind such a tiny inconvenience in exchange for a lot of savings. If you think $150 for update is expensive, wait when that thing is broken and you have to repair the hardware ... I am sure the dealer will make sure to suck your blood like a vampire. One of my coworker's Lexus GPS broke and she was quoted more than $4000 for it.

I am driving a tech now, but I will try not to get another one really hard. But for my wife it is a totally different story ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJimbo View Post
I prefer the integration of built-in navi. When I have the stereo loud, the navi will lower the volume when it's time to give directions. If I'm using a store bought GPS or my iPhone, I'll never hear the directions over the stereo. Plus it's one less thing to plug in or charge up first. Personal preference.
qqzj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2013, 08:08 AM   #25 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by qqzj View Post
If you think $150 for update is expensive, wait when that thing is broken and you have to repair the hardware ... I am sure the dealer will make sure to suck your blood like a vampire. One of my coworker's Lexus GPS broke and she was quoted more than $4000 for it.
I bought it brand new 7 months ago, years of warranty left. I'll likely upgrade before then, so I have no concerns about repair bills. Like I said, it's personal preference. If I'm going to pay $40k+ for a new vehicle I'm not going to stick some cheap gizmo to the windshield.

2012 Acura MDX Tech
Bali Blue/Taupe
Body side molding
Chrome side steps
Cargo cover
Wood grain shift knob
OEM hitch/wiring harness
TheJimbo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2013, 07:28 PM   #26 (permalink)

Quote:
The TSX has a similar story - no updates yet for 2011 or 2012 model years.

Time to use their online "Contact Us" form ( how 1990s ) ... I'll report back what they say.
Here's the answer, sounds like there were problems with the MDX 10/11/12 update...

Hello ,

Thank you for contacting Acura. <<snip>> Your 2012 MDX is currently equipped with the newest maps currently available. An update was released for your vehicle; however, due to multiple technical issues, it is currently unavailable for purchase. If you would like to be notified when this update becomes available, please register with us at www.navteq.com/registration.

If you need additional assistance, please send us your feedback by replying to this email.

Kind regards,

Acura Client Services
Old 01-28-2013, 09:15 PM   #27 (permalink)

Thanks for keeping us updated with the follow-up post!
Old 01-29-2013, 05:31 PM   #28 (permalink)

Anyone who wants to buy GPS disk pm me.
I have the latest which is White DVD Map v4.B1
At the Acura Navigation Center the cost is $149
I will sell it cheap.
fyaajster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2013, 08:13 PM   #29 (permalink)

PM sent!
otoupalik is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2013, 10:00 PM   #30 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJimbo View Post
Agreed, musing muting when the navigation is giving instructions is a great feature. But you are incorrect when you say that if you use your phone it won't mute the volume. I just traded in my MDX for a Honda Odyssey. I run navigation from my Droid X2 phone. I set my radio to use the bluetooth connection as input. I can then control the music functions of my phone via the radio controls. When I use my phone for navigation all of the voice commands come through my radio speakers. When the commands come through the music is muted so that you can hear the navigation guidance. The price that is charged by Honda/Acura for navigation is just ridiculous. After using my phone and a cheap Garmin unit I will never pay the ridiculous prices charged by Honda/Acura. Not to mention that map updates now come free with most portable units as opposed to the over $100 that Honda/Acura wants for an update DVD.

07 MDX sport
07 Specialized Tarmac
09 Brompton M3L-X
09 Ritchey Breakaway/SRAM Force
adr5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Random Question

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: