New 2012 MDX (Base) vibration! - Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums
Register Home Forums Active Topics Auto Loans Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance
MDXers.org is the premier Acura MDX Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 10-08-2012, 09:12 AM   #1 (permalink)

New 2012 MDX (Base) vibration!

Hello all, I recently just bought a new 2012 MDX Base (about 3 weeks ago). So far I have 350 miles on it and love it.. except the vibration!!

On day one as I was driving back from the dealer I noticed a fairly large vibration in the car when going above 40MPH. The vibration in the steering wheel was very fine (not like warped rotors or grossly mis-balanced wheel). Vibration could be felt throughout the front of the car (and possibly back seats). Drivers seat, passenger seat (especially headrest), steering wheel, center console armrest, and side door handle grips.

I took it back to the dealer and they did a roadforce balance of all 4 tires. They found three tires out of balance: two were within spec and the third they fixed.

Since then the vibration has gotten better although I could still feel it slightly when going above 40MPH. I test drove my brother's 2012 MDX (bought earlier in the year and has 12,000 miles) -- it was buttery smooth. No steering or seat vibration at all.

A few questions for you all:

• When the car is in park: Is there a slight vibration in the steering wheel and seat backs (put your hand on the empty passenger seat's headrest)? There is for me. Is this normal?
  • If it is not normal, is it a sign of a drive-shaft out of balance since vibration is felt with the car not moving?
  • When you are going 45MPH+, is there a vibration in the empty seat next to you?
  • Would a roadforce balancer identify a bent rim? Either way I'm going to ask they replace all 4 ties and rims before they do more invasive changes.
  • If the drive shaft needs to be replaced.. is it a big change? possibility of them messing it up? it's a new car -- i would have to ask for more isues because of this.
  • Will this 'go away' as I put more miles on it?
Thanks in advance for your insight and help!
grigiomdx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-09-2012, 01:56 PM   #2 (permalink)

Sounds like you got a problem. Mine is smooth and noting vibrates inside the car and any time. I don't think what you are experiencing is going to go away by itself. I think with 350 miles on the car I would be talking to the General Manager of the dealership and see what can be done.
Old 01-05-2013, 10:28 AM   #3 (permalink)
VER

My 2012 MDX has a vibration at speeds above 65 mph.....the wheels have been balanced & adjusted by the dealer twice.....i took it to another place and they re-balanced tham also...nothing helps.....it is very annoying to drive on the highway. We have another appointment on Jan 16 so I will post if anything is done to stop the problem....Owned 2 other Acuras with no issues like this !
VER is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2013, 12:15 PM   #4 (permalink)

Make sure your your tires are Hunter Road Force balanced.

-Drop Stop
-Opti-Guard
-OEM Roof Rails
-OEM Cross Bars
-OEM Rear Lower Trim
-OEM Front Lower Trim
-OEM Hood Air Deflector
-OEM Side Steps-Chrome
-Nokya H11 Hyper Yellow fogs
-WeatherTech FloorLiner™ DigitalFit® 3rd Row All Season Floor Mat
princelybug is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2013, 03:54 PM   #5 (permalink)
VER

My 2012 MDX tires and wheels were road forced balanced & the dealer showed me a change in the numbers and what is acceptabe for them.....it did NOT help.....2 days later i was just as dissatisfied as before !
VER is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2013, 05:46 PM   #6 (permalink)

could you describe the vibration a little further? i just bought my 2012 base mdx as well for my first car. it currently has 2900 miles, i might have the same problem or i might not. i don't know how that vibration feels.

any output will really help.
pi403d is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2013, 02:52 PM   #7 (permalink)

I got my tires re-balanced by the dealer and it's about 97% ok now. On certain roads I can still feel it, but that may be due to the road itself, not sure. On some highways it's buttery smooth.

The vibration is a high frequency short amplitude pattern (above ~40MPH): you should be able to feel it by placing your hand on the back of the passenger side headrest (seat must be empty).

A question for you all: I have about 1500 miles on the car now. When stopped at a traffic light is there a vibration present in the center arm rest and steering wheel? When I have a bottle of water in the cup holder, I see very fast small ripples. It's very noticeable. This is my first SUV and 4WD so I'm not sure what is normal and not. Sometimes when driving (at all speeds) the slight steering wheel vibration tickles my hand.

thanks!
Old 01-10-2013, 03:19 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by grigiomdx View Post
I got my tires re-balanced by the dealer and it's about 97% ok now. On certain roads I can still feel it, but that may be due to the road itself, not sure. On some highways it's buttery smooth.

The vibration is a high frequency short amplitude pattern (above ~40MPH): you should be able to feel it by placing your hand on the back of the passenger side headrest (seat must be empty).

A question for you all: I have about 1500 miles on the car now. When stopped at a traffic light is there a vibration present in the center arm rest and steering wheel? When I have a bottle of water in the cup holder, I see very fast small ripples. It's very noticeable. This is my first SUV and 4WD so I'm not sure what is normal and not. Sometimes when driving (at all speeds) the slight steering wheel vibration tickles my hand.

thanks!

Search this site... this is a mass problem with all MDX's both 2012's and 2013's. I have a 2012 and I have been thru the ringer with the dealership and I am deciding now if I am going to get out of this MDX with the lemon law. I have been back to the dealership 3 time and they cannot fix it. I am not accepting the fact that a 50k dollar truck shakes.

March back into the dealership and demand a new one or your money back!
newyork326 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2013, 03:40 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by newyork326 View Post
Search this site... this is a mass problem with all MDX's both 2012's and 2013's. I have a 2012 and I have been thru the ringer with the dealership and I am deciding now if I am going to get out of this MDX with the lemon law. I have been back to the dealership 3 time and they cannot fix it. I am not accepting the fact that a 50k dollar truck shakes.

March back into the dealership and demand a new one or your money back!
Which problem are you referring to? the vibration caused by wheel balance or steering wheel and armrest vibration when stopped?

I agree with you but if all 2012 and 2013's have the problem, what good is getting another one going to do? I just don't have the time to go back and forth with the dealer.
Old 01-10-2013, 03:59 PM   #10 (permalink)

Evidentally they dont all do it... it is hit or miss... go test drive a few and get one that does not vibrate! I was talking about the vibration while driving. It is not fixable. I have had balance, road force balance, and new wheels and tires... it still does it.
Old 01-10-2013, 04:46 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Which problem are you referring to? the vibration caused by wheel balance or steering wheel and armrest vibration when stopped?
Obviously he didn't bother reading the entire topic, so he's not aware that your vibration is gone. Except for ripples in your drinking cup, which you're likely to have in any car.
Old 01-10-2013, 05:59 PM   #12 (permalink)

Actually I did read the entire thread, and the OP said the problem is 97% fixed... that is unacceptable. You pay 40k for a truck and it should be flawless not 97% ok. I would take it to the dealer and make them fix the remaining vibration.
Old 01-10-2013, 10:49 PM   #13 (permalink)

We have another appointment on Jan 16 so I will post if anything is done to stop the problem.
Old 01-11-2013, 08:54 AM   #14 (permalink)

I'll take it in and report back.. it's just a matter of when. I'll probably go in about two weeks.

I'll show them the idle vibration as well. When I put it in neutral it's much better. Engine mounts? transmission? or normal?!
Old 01-11-2013, 10:18 AM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
I'll show them the idle vibration as well. When I put it in neutral it's much better. Engine mounts? transmission? or normal?!
When you're at the dealer, get in one or more other MDX's on the lot, and see if they do the same thing.

Bring your water bottle.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Random Question

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: