DIY oil change question - Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums
Register Home Forums Active Topics Auto Loans Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance
MDXers.org is the premier Acura MDX Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 09-04-2012, 09:45 PM   #1 (permalink)
Fab

DIY oil change question

Planning on doing oil change on MDX. I'll be doing the suction method so I won't be jacking up my car. My question is: can i access the oil filter without jacking up the car or can it be access via turning the wheel all the way in?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-04-2012, 10:31 PM   #2 (permalink)

Yes you can do it without jacking it. Check this guy out
Naxz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-04-2012, 11:29 PM   #3 (permalink)

Why the suction method? How can that method get out the crud at the bottom? You can easily reach the plug without jacking the MDX up.
tom34diy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-05-2012, 01:15 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom34diy View Post
Why the suction method? How can that method get out the crud at the bottom? You can easily reach the plug without jacking the MDX up.
Agreed. I changed mine in about 40 min the other day, 10 min of the time was spent waiting on it to drain. Just crawled under, unscrewed, let it drain, swap out the filter, and refill.
danny57010 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-05-2012, 01:31 AM   #5 (permalink)
Fab

Man after watching that video I might as well drain since it such a mess...

I usually use suction because of my other car (which is a benz) and if there are any other benz owners here, taking apart the spalsh guards is a huge hassle. I know the drain method has its pro over suction but sometime i'm just too lazy :/ Guess i'll just drain the MDX cause of the mess...unless I forget to buy a new washer.
Old 09-05-2012, 07:18 AM   #6 (permalink)

I used to use an oil extractor on my previous two Benz as well. Most of the guys in that forum did the same, in fact some service departments use that method on German makes. But since it's easy enough to reach the drain plug on the MDX then I'll drain from there as well.

2012 Acura MDX Tech
Bali Blue/Taupe
Body side molding
Chrome side steps
Cargo cover
Wood grain shift knob
OEM hitch/wiring harness
TheJimbo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-05-2012, 07:49 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom34diy View Post
Absolutely agree. I am not a small guy (6' 235lbs) and I have no problem just getting on the pavement and unscrewing the drain plug. Simple.

For the filter, just turn the wheels to the right. The filter is right there. I find it easiest if I sit on a short stool while changing the filter.

If I can do this at my age you should have no problem.

George
Old 09-05-2012, 09:47 AM   #8 (permalink)

I've done a few oil changes when I was younger, but I think this guy in the video over tightened the nut. But great video overall for anyone looking to save some dough and try it on their own.
sweetadad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-05-2012, 11:29 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetadad View Post
I've done a few oil changes when I was younger, but I think this guy in the video over tightened the nut. But great video overall for anyone looking to save some dough and try it on their own.
No Kidding, I was waiting for him to strip it. I dont even use a new washer all of the time. I've never had a leak when i just hand tighten it (my torque wrench cant get to the bolt easily if its not jacked up).
Old 09-05-2012, 11:29 AM   #10 (permalink)

I used to change the oil on my 04 mdx myself. Just turn the wheel to the right and unscrew the bolt.

There is a Jiffy lube down the street and for less then $10 more I don't have to deal with buying/returning the oil. You just have to say no when they hit you for the unnecessary maintenance recommendations (which they try every time). I go early on a weekend and I'm out of there in 15 minutes

I guess if you do it yourself you get the benifit of installing the filte/oil type you prefer
CODOG2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-05-2012, 12:17 PM   #11 (permalink)

Want to make it really easy? Fumoto Qwik Valve.

I got the one with the nipple and rubber hose attachment, straight into the catch can, zero spillage, no messing with a wrench to get the drain plug off and on.

Call Tim Poliniak for Acura parts 1-866-347-8355
kghjr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-05-2012, 01:32 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kghjr View Post

I got the one with the nipple and rubber hose attachment, straight into the catch can, zero spillage, no messing with a wrench to get the drain plug off and on.
Next oil change I am getting the Qwik valve on the X and the Accord.

Current- 1998 Black Currant Accord EX 4dr 4cyl- KYB GR2 Struts/H&R Sport Springs/Ingalls Camber kit / 17x7 Black Reaction Fuji Wheels

Previous- 1991 Black Accord LX- OEM 95 Accord EX wheels / Apex'i WS2 Exhaust / Cold Air Intake / Eibach Sportline springs / Neuspeed strut bar

pr3rak77 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-05-2012, 02:00 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kghjr View Post

I always wonder if those things leak. Now i just need any easy and mess free way to do the filter. anyone have a special way they do it?
Old 09-05-2012, 02:10 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by danny57010 View Post
I always wonder if those things leak. Now i just need any easy and mess free way to do the filter. anyone have a special way they do it?
Yeah, that does suck that once you start loosening some oil drains from it onto your hand. Maybe wrap a plastic bag around the filter, and then turn it?

Current- 1998 Black Currant Accord EX 4dr 4cyl- KYB GR2 Struts/H&R Sport Springs/Ingalls Camber kit / 17x7 Black Reaction Fuji Wheels

Previous- 1991 Black Accord LX- OEM 95 Accord EX wheels / Apex'i WS2 Exhaust / Cold Air Intake / Eibach Sportline springs / Neuspeed strut bar

pr3rak77 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-05-2012, 04:14 PM   #15 (permalink)

I just did mine this past weekend, I switched to synthetic and cleaning up was the hardest part. I didn't have a closed oil pan collecting the old oil and had to put oil back in the gallon to take to recycling. It was hot and humid and after I was done I had second thoughts about doing it again. Now that it is done with, I can't wait to do it again.
Dominik-X is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Random Question

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: