Importing MDX to Canada - Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums
Register Home Forums Active Topics Auto Loans Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance
MDXers.org is the premier Acura MDX Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 08-26-2012, 02:10 PM   #1 (permalink)

Importing MDX to Canada

My first post on here. Looking to buy either a new or slightly used MDX and the US prices are so good.

I did a search and only found older posts, I know that it is a lot more popular now to import into Canada so I thought there would be more info available.

- I know the warranty is not covered in Canada, but is the US warranty still valid? (Could I bring the vehicle back to the US for warranty work)

- Can the navigation system be switched to metric (km)

- Can the speedo & odometer be switched to metric

Thanks in advance.

Brian
brdouglas is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-26-2012, 09:11 PM   #2 (permalink)

If you haven't already read this, you should before you put any money out.

BSF5048 : Importing a Vehicle Into Canada
Old 08-26-2012, 11:21 PM   #3 (permalink)
kgb

I brought mine to Canada back in 2007. No warranty, if the car is registered in Canada you can't even get warranty if you go back to the states. But the difference in price back then was almost 20k. I had an issue with A/C and paid around $1400.00 to fix it. No biggie compare to how much I saved after all.
The navi can be in km. the speedo and odo can't without changing the cluster. The temp is also in F.
Hope this helps.
Old 08-27-2012, 12:54 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgb View Post
I brought mine to Canada back in 2007. No warranty, if the car is registered in Canada you can't even get warranty if you go back to the states. But the difference in price back then was almost 20k. I had an issue with A/C and paid around $1400.00 to fix it. No biggie compare to how much I saved after all.
The navi can be in km. the speedo and odo can't without changing the cluster. The temp is also in F.
Hope this helps.
Thanks for the info, that does help. It really sucks that the US warranty is void, if it wasn't at least I could make a trip down to get things fixed.
Old 08-27-2012, 11:43 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by brdouglas View Post
Thanks for the info, that does help. It really sucks that the US warranty is void, if it wasn't at least I could make a trip down to get things fixed.
There's a dealer in West Ottawa ( Stittsville ) who brings used Pilots and MDXs up from the 'States ( also Odys and Siennas )

When I researched it he said both Honda and Acura will not honour warranties - once registered in Canada the warranty is voided. Surprisingly Toyota will honour cross border warranties.

There are somewhat reasonable third party warranties available.

The only thing they needed to add was DRL on some vehicles. The MPH/kph gauges were apparently okay. Used to have to add engine immobilizers, too, but I believe most cars have those now.

Didn't research it further. I did have a co-worker who brought his MDX back from the 'States and had no issues. Some dealer close to the border did all the paperwork and changes for him.
Old 08-28-2012, 07:55 AM   #6 (permalink)

I am in the US right now for work, I stopped in at an Acura dealer and talked to a salesman. I asked him about the warranty being voided in the US as well and I was told that I would still have a US warranty.

Can anyone chime in that has tried to bring one back to the US for warranty work?
Old 08-28-2012, 09:20 AM   #7 (permalink)

I would call Honda Motor Co. direct and ask because if you register in Canada you void you American warranty! Just my 2 cents
PierceMDX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-28-2012, 09:49 AM   #8 (permalink)
Super Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brdouglas View Post
I am in the US right now for work, I stopped in at an Acura dealer and talked to a salesman. I asked him about the warranty being voided in the US as well and I was told that I would still have a US warranty.

Can anyone chime in that has tried to bring one back to the US for warranty work?
Vehicle Movement

Honda Canada and US are seperate entities. Honda cancels the warranties to discourage cross border sales.

Some other manufacturers do not restrict cross border sales/warranties. Toyota for instance. Instead of being seperate entities, the US, Canada, and Mexico are all under Toyota North America.
JL_SS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-28-2012, 10:59 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JL_SS View Post
From that link:

The reciprocal warranty agreement between Honda Canada and American Honda only covers owners who relocate from one country to the other, or owners from one country who are travelling on business or vacation in the other country. If a vehicle that was originally sold new in the United States is brought into Canada, its warranty only applies to the owner that purchased the vehicle while living in the U.S. and who imports the vehicle into Canada for their own personal or family use.

Sounds like brdouglas you might have a loophole if you buy it while you're a resident of the US.
Old 08-28-2012, 01:54 PM   #10 (permalink)
kgb

I looked into it when I was buying my X, and here is the deal: IF you purchased your car in US while you were residing there and registered vehicle in US and then you got moved to Canada and registered vehicle in Canada - yes, you will have a warranty. But if you bought car in US and brought it across the border -SOL.
The key here is to register vehicle in US while you are living there.
Old 08-28-2012, 04:11 PM   #11 (permalink)

With the current cash incentive that Acura has here, I don't see this very attractive.
rabit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-31-2012, 12:38 AM   #12 (permalink)

Well I ended up purchasing a new 2012 Canadian Tech, I found a website carsaver.ca which had a pre-arranged price of $10550 off the MSRP (including Acura rebates), so with that it is a lot closer to the US price, but it would be nice if it was even closer.

I pick it up tomorrow.
Old 09-04-2012, 12:17 PM   #13 (permalink)

Hi All, I have not posted on these forums for a few years since getting a different vehicle four years ago. We originally had a 2001 and then a 2004.

I just got back from NY last week and brought back a 2010 Tech and Ent package mdx. The import process was simple and uneventful. I ended up saving approx $11k compared to buying it here. I bought a certified pre owned from an Acura dealer and am very happy with it so far. The dealer did say that they would honour the US warranty regardless of where the car is licensed. So the way I look at it is that if I have a minor problem then I will pay. If it is a major problem then I will drive, tow or drag it back to NY. My thought is that Honda US has no right to void your warranty for a US vehicle for service in the US unless they could prove that the export has been detrimental to the vehicle.

Bottom line is that importing is easy and the saving enabled me to get a newer vehicle for the same money. I am happy.

Kal.

2010 MDX with Tech and Entertainment, Grey
SuperKal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-04-2012, 05:16 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperKal View Post
Hi All, I have not posted on these forums for a few years since getting a different vehicle four years ago. We originally had a 2001 and then a 2004.

I just got back from NY last week and brought back a 2010 Tech and Ent package mdx. The import process was simple and uneventful. I ended up saving approx $11k compared to buying it here. I bought a certified pre owned from an Acura dealer and am very happy with it so far. The dealer did say that they would honour the US warranty regardless of where the car is licensed. So the way I look at it is that if I have a minor problem then I will pay. If it is a major problem then I will drive, tow or drag it back to NY. My thought is that Honda US has no right to void your warranty for a US vehicle for service in the US unless they could prove that the export has been detrimental to the vehicle.

Bottom line is that importing is easy and the saving enabled me to get a newer vehicle for the same money. I am happy.

Kal.
Thx Kal for the useful input. I am thinking about doing the same thing. Learning from a veteran really gives me more confidence!

Do you mind sharing the name and the city of the nice NY deal please?

Much appreciated,
Steven
Steven78 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-04-2012, 10:39 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by leaffan View Post
There's a dealer in West Ottawa ( Stittsville ) who brings used Pilots and MDXs up from the 'States ( also Odys and Siennas )

When I researched it he said both Honda and Acura will not honour warranties - once registered in Canada the warranty is voided. Surprisingly Toyota will honour cross border warranties.

There are somewhat reasonable third party warranties available.

The only thing they needed to add was DRL on some vehicles. The MPH/kph gauges were apparently okay. Used to have to add engine immobilizers, too, but I believe most cars have those now.

Didn't research it further. I did have a co-worker who brought his MDX back from the 'States and had no issues. Some dealer close to the border did all the paperwork and changes for him.
Thats orr motors. They seem to have a great reputation and also offer 3rd party warranty for a fraction of the cost. When we were looking around for MDXs, I found a year old MDX at 12K cheaper...When I kinda made up my mind to buy 3 days later, it was gone. They have a lot of turn over and a lot of repeat customers.
sweetadad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Random Question

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: