Importing MDX to Canada - Page 2 - Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums
Register Home Forums Active Topics Auto Loans Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance
MDXers.org is the premier Acura MDX Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 11-27-2012, 01:57 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven78 View Post
Thx Kal for the useful input. I am thinking about doing the same thing. Learning from a veteran really gives me more confidence!

Do you mind sharing the name and the city of the nice NY deal please?

Much appreciated,
Steven
Hi Steven, sorry for the delayed response, I have been busy at work.

The dealer I bought from is Acura of Westchester. Ask for Vincent, he was great to deal with. I was able to negotiate a significant discount from their asking price. They had about 20 used 2010 and 2011 mdx's in stock at the time so lots to choose from.

This mdx is now the 4th vehicle I have brought over from the U.S. and it just gets easier every time. Let me know if there is any way I can help.

Regards.

Kal.

2010 MDX with Tech and Entertainment, Grey
SuperKal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2013, 05:44 PM   #17 (permalink)

Hey Kal...hope you read this. I am considering buying an MDX in the States, I called RIV & they told me that the speedometer/odometer have to be in km, i.e. the dominant measure. Did you encounter this?

Thanks,

Ron
ncstrman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2013, 05:55 PM   #18 (permalink)

Hi Ron, yes, the speedometer has to show km in order to pass the standard Canadian Tire inspection. Since the speedometer has miles on the outer circle and km on the inner circle as standard, it does not need any modification. The only tricky thing is getting used to looking at the smaller numbers when checking your speed. The odometer will stay in miles and does not need to be changed. I am considering getting a small GPS HUD unit (through Ebay) that will reflect the speed in km onto the windshield at all times. This should solve the problem and at only $100 is a cost effective solution.

Kal.

Old 01-31-2013, 08:07 AM   #19 (permalink)

Hey Kal, thanks for the reply....I thought that this was the case, I brought my 2003 MDX over in 2006 & had no problems with the miles/km issues, only had to get DRL done.

The lady I spoke with said that the speedo had to show km large & miles small & odo had to be in km. She said that this was a new policy. This is why I asked for your experience. Unless there has been a drastic change in rules, I think she was mistaken, as the only way to do what she said is to replace the whole assembly, opening it up to fraud (incorrect mileage).

Were there any other modifications that you needed done? Was the immobilizer "acceptable" here?

Thanks again!

ron
Old 01-31-2013, 08:35 AM   #20 (permalink)

Not true about the odo conversion. Check out Orr motors in ottawa. All they sell are used US spec cars and have MDXs as well.
sweetadad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2013, 01:48 PM   #21 (permalink)

Hi Ron, just checked and the rules have not changed. As long as the km is displayed on the dash (small or large) then it is acceptable. It is also okay for the odometer to remain in miles.

The only other thing is that the temperature display also remains in Fahrenheit. I have not yet found a way to change it to Celsius but would like to.

Assuming you are bringing over a 2007 or newer MDX then I don't think any other modifications will be necessary. It was a fairly simple process.

Regards.

Kal.

Old 01-31-2013, 03:41 PM   #22 (permalink)
kgb

I remember looking into the odometer issue. The is a way to get a proper one, change the whole cluster panel ($850.00) and you are done!
I decided that I can't be bothered with this. Been driving like this for over 4 years now and it is just fine.
Old 01-31-2013, 04:00 PM   #23 (permalink)

I got the MDX for my Wife who drives it most of the time but when I do, I always find myself looking at the miles and going faster than I should. Eventually I will get used to it.

Ebay has a number of GPS HUD devices and I am thinking of getting one. Check out the link and let me know what you think.

GPS Head Up Display LED Speedmeter KM H and MPH Speeding Warning Easy to Install | eBay

Kal.

Old 01-31-2013, 04:45 PM   #24 (permalink)

Do you have a factory Navi? if not, why not consider a GPS for (basically) the same price. I have a Garmin (I like it b/c it turns on automatically when I start my MDX (my factory Navi died years ago). It shows speeds in km or miles, also in many areas will warn you if you are going over speed limit.
Old 01-31-2013, 10:42 PM   #25 (permalink)

Do have the factory navi but I think the HUD will be less visible and also easier to see.

Kal.

Old 07-02-2013, 11:55 PM   #26 (permalink)

Hello Gents

I was reading this thread and appreciate lots of good information of importing MDX to canada

Currently i'm living in Raleigh, North Carolina and due to my job i have to move to Ontario, Canada in next 3-4 months. I recently purchased 2012 MDX brand new and need some advise on what would be the best way to import this vehicle to Ontario.

Few questions:

Is it possible to keep my NC license and insurance while residing in Ontario? If so, then how long i can keep this for? Insurance is dirt cheap in NC - paying only 50$ for full insurance on this MDX. I can try to arrange a note from my work stating that i will be residing in Canada for "x" amount of months/years for work only.

If this is not possible, then how much damage (HST/GST) i will have to pay at the border and during registration process if i declare this vehicle at the border?

Appreciate any help on this. This is the first time i will be bringing a vehicle in Canada.
casanova is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-03-2013, 12:05 PM   #27 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by casanova View Post
Hello Gents

I was reading this thread and appreciate lots of good information of importing MDX to canada

Currently i'm living in Raleigh, North Carolina and due to my job i have to move to Ontario, Canada in next 3-4 months. I recently purchased 2012 MDX brand new and need some advise on what would be the best way to import this vehicle to Ontario.

Few questions:

Is it possible to keep my NC license and insurance while residing in Ontario? If so, then how long i can keep this for? Insurance is dirt cheap in NC - paying only 50$ for full insurance on this MDX. I can try to arrange a note from my work stating that i will be residing in Canada for "x" amount of months/years for work only.

If this is not possible, then how much damage (HST/GST) i will have to pay at the border and during registration process if i declare this vehicle at the border?

Appreciate any help on this. This is the first time i will be bringing a vehicle in Canada.
I think you can keep you NC license as long as you keep coming back to USA every 2-3 months. If you plan to import it to Canada, I don't think you will have to pay HST/GST as you owned the vehicle before moving to Ontario. I immigrated to Canada from US and did not have to pay HST/GST on vehicles that I owned before moving. HST/GST is 13% of market value of your vehicle. You will also need to fax title to US immigration 72 hours before you plan to cross the border.

Please note that the above is my guess only. You should check with a immigration lawyer about possible options.
luxcar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-03-2013, 12:25 PM   #28 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by luxcar View Post
I think you can keep you NC license as long as you keep coming back to USA every 2-3 months. If you plan to import it to Canada, I don't think you will have to pay HST/GST as you owned the vehicle before moving to Ontario. I immigrated to Canada from US and did not have to pay HST/GST on vehicles that I owned before moving. HST/GST is 13% of market value of your vehicle. You will also need to fax title to US immigration 72 hours before you plan to cross the border.

Please note that the above is my guess only. You should check with a immigration lawyer about possible options.
Thanks for the information.

I have called the CBSA and they told me if the vehicle price is more than 10K then you have to pay tax on it as a returning Canadian citizen. At the Canadian border you pay 5% HST and then when doing the licensing you pay the provincial 8% PST. So basically it will be double taxes (already paid state tax in NC and now have to pay Canadian HST & PST). Is there a way around of not paying these hefty taxes?

Also they mentioned, if i stay more than 30 day then i have to get the license plate of the province i will be staying.

Any addition information on these would be appreciated!

Thanks
casanova is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-03-2013, 01:29 PM   #29 (permalink)

I'm sure the rules are different if you're a Canadian citizen who was temporarily living and working in the United States, than if you're a U.S. citizen who will be temporarily living and working in Canada. And different still if your move is permanent. All of which is a different situation from someone who lives in Canada and wants to buy a car in the States, which is what this topic has been about.

It's not clear what your specific situation is, or what the rules are for that situation. I think the advice to consult a lawyer is a pretty good idea.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Random Question

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: