Software Update Releasing Soon-Torque Converter - Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums
Register Home Forums Active Topics Auto Loans Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance
MDXers.org is the premier Acura MDX Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 08-23-2012, 01:10 PM   #1 (permalink)

Thumbs up Software Update Releasing Soon-Torque Converter

I just saw from a source that certain MDX's are going to do a software update that relates directly to the problem I had, a mild jerky feeling when driving from 20-40mph which relates to the torque converter. It's recall 12-029 from what I saw and is due to start sending out letters next month. I read that to build "confidence" in acura the warranty for 07 and other models has been extended to 8 years 105,000 miles! I hope this software update fixes the issue. If not, they stated they will replace it under warranty!
usmarinedelta is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-23-2012, 03:18 PM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmarinedelta View Post
I just saw from a source that certain MDX's are going to do a software update that relates directly to the problem I had, a mild jerky feeling when driving from 20-40mph which relates to the torque converter. It's recall 12-029 from what I saw and is due to start sending out letters next month. I read that to build "confidence" in acura the warranty for 07 and other models has been extended to 8 years 105,000 miles! I hope this software update fixes the issue. If not, they stated they will replace it under warranty!
FYI, Service Bulletin 12-029 applies to 2007-09 MDX, 2009-10 RLs, and 2009-11 TLs with SH-AWD. A letter also went out regarding a warranty extension for the torque converter for the affected models.
Old 08-23-2012, 10:01 PM   #3 (permalink)

Anyone have the link to the TSB? I've noticed that our MDX is very jerky during lower speeds. We have Acura care so it should be fixed without any issues.
1tufgt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-24-2012, 06:45 AM   #4 (permalink)

Thanks for posting this. I have an occasionally mild vibration with what I think is torque converter.

I have 96k on my 07 MDX so the goodwill warranty on torque convertor will only apply for a year for myself.

Do they apply it for free?
__raj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-24-2012, 07:19 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1tufgt View Post
Anyone have the link to the TSB? I've noticed that our MDX is very jerky during lower speeds. We have Acura care so it should be fixed without any issues.
You can search ALL service bulletins here:
Honda TSB - Information About Honda Technical Service Bulletins | AutoMD
StPeteAPB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-24-2012, 08:56 AM   #6 (permalink)

Yes the service bulletin is free of charge because you are now covered under their warranty of 8 years or 105k miles. I'm going to go to the dealer to have this done this evening, will post results.
Old 08-24-2012, 06:28 PM   #7 (permalink)

Update: just came back from the software update. The drive is much better but it's still a hint, very lightly feeling this lunge. It's the torque converter locking and unlocking. But it doesn't happen as much and seems to drive a bit better.
Old 08-24-2012, 10:07 PM   #8 (permalink)

I had my software update too, after the update it felt better but the shudder was still there not as bad. I took it back to the dealer and they performed a transmission fluid flush now it drives perfect no more shudder around 30 mph
20mdx08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-25-2012, 07:13 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by StPeteAPB View Post
I can't find the 12-029 there? Anyone wi a 07-09 have this applied? Does it make the mdx as peppy as the update for 2010+?
sweetadad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-25-2012, 07:58 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20mdx08 View Post
I had my software update too, after the update it felt better but the shudder was still there not as bad. I took it back to the dealer and they performed a transmission fluid flush now it drives perfect no more shudder around 30 mph

If it's still there you can push to have the torque converter replaced, it lists that right under the bulletin (which they have). It states that if problem happens after the software update, the torque converter needs to be replaced.
Old 08-25-2012, 12:51 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20mdx08 View Post
I was able to cure the shudder with a 3x drain and refill. If the software update makes it drive better then I'll take it in.

What I need to get fixed is a thump or clunk I hear during my first drive in the morning when shifting from second to third. It only happens one time during the day. If I give it a little extra gas, then it won't do it. Weird>
Dominik-X is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-27-2012, 01:42 AM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetadad View Post
I can't find the 12-029 there? Anyone wi a 07-09 have this applied? Does it make the mdx as peppy as the update for 2010+?
Should I just take my car in for a routine oil change and ask about this?
07_Sport is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-27-2012, 07:46 AM   #13 (permalink)

I would call the dealership to verify that they do have the software first, some don't know how to do anything until their IT guys come out. If they do then just bring it in.
Old 08-30-2012, 11:48 AM   #14 (permalink)

I don't know if I have the problem...but they are doing the update tomorrow. Any other feedback in terms of how it should feel after? What exactly will the update do to affect the torque converter?

Previous Acuras:
bear1906 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-30-2012, 11:57 AM   #15 (permalink)

The problem that I had was around 25mph and cruising in 3rd gear AT and if I let go of the gas there were be a slight lunge after it paused for a second, it's not the tranny shifting because the rpms didn't drop as it would have if it shifted to 4th. It doesn't say what the software does but it does help out a bit. However I noticed it's still there a little and just had my dealer take "snapshots" of it through the obd II port to see if there is an issue. Then have a 20 year old tech try to analyze it and see if it gets sent to acura for warranty coverage.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: