Software Update Releasing Soon-Torque Converter - Page 10 - Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums
Register Home Forums Active Topics Auto Loans Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance
MDXers.org is the premier Acura MDX Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 11-18-2012, 10:49 AM   #136 (permalink)

Drove 75 miles all freeways...gas 18.5 mpg..before I got 21-23 mpg...this sucks gas big time!
t-mdx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-19-2012, 10:34 PM   #137 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by t-mdx View Post
Drove 75 miles all freeways...gas 18.5 mpg..before I got 21-23 mpg...this sucks gas big time!
Whats weird is that the engine is turning at the same RPM on the highway, so not sure where the new loss in efficiency is coming from
sweetadad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2012, 11:52 PM   #138 (permalink)

The update doesn't change the final drive ratio, just the shift points. I notice the higher rpms due to delayed shifts around town. That is what impacts the mpg.
kokerj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2012, 05:35 AM   #139 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokerj View Post
The update doesn't change the final drive ratio, just the shift points. I notice the higher rpms due to delayed shifts around town. That is what impacts the mpg.
Yes, I know that. T-mdx said he got poor mileage with 75 miles of highly driving.
sweetadad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-22-2012, 10:18 PM   #140 (permalink)

Got my 09 for the update today and told the service guy about the mileage issue. He had not heard about it and I showed him this thread. There was another customer with a '12 who said his mileage has dropped since he did the update for his 2012 MDX (I know they had a separate software update but it appears same issue).
I just filled up after this afternoon, will see how much of a pig it's going to be.
I was advised to call Acura customer relation and complain to them if there is this issue. They MUST do something about it.
rabit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-22-2012, 11:18 PM   #141 (permalink)

I checked again, I haven't had this car too long. 6500kms to be exact. I never reset the trip B counter...so it has been saved, avg was 12.2
Currrently, i'm running 13.4 to 14.4 over the last 2 tanks....
Here's a snap shot recently, the trip A was at 447 and i had 2 ticks left on the fuel gauge...but shortly i think the "ding" low fuel came on....I didn't even get 510kms on that tank....i think it was about 488 or so....
But the previous tanks of gas have gotten me anywhere from 525-550kms...
What gives...got rid of the jutter and noise it made at 30/kmph....but now eats up gas more?
I was quiet happy before with the gas mileage i had gotten from it, better then the x5 i had...now i feel like i've almost got that same pig of gas guzzler....Doesn't sound like much, but seems i'm fueling up 2 days earlier the i had to previously....
Attached Thumbnails
Software Update Releasing Soon-Torque Converter-img-20121118-00027.jpg  
gitchies is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2012, 10:50 AM   #142 (permalink)

I just got a notice to have the software update done on my 2008 MDX which currently I am not experiencing any judder or vibration. I wonder if it is worth it if it is going to make the mileage consumption higher than before. Is there any noticeable improvement in shifting and performance when the software is updated? As I said, my MDX is running fine now with no issues. Any advice you guys can give me? Thanks a lot.
ken88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2012, 11:52 AM   #143 (permalink)

Post update, mine definitely shifts at higher points than it did. I assume that's why is using more gas in city driving. I can't see how it should affect gas mileage on the highway, though, since the tach is reading the same at 120kph now as it did before the update. If you are not having any issues, I'd stick with what you have, but I don't know if that raises any warranty issues. My dealer didn't ask. He did the update when I had the car in for routine servicing.
Old 11-25-2012, 12:11 PM   #144 (permalink)

I am confused.. So what is the advantage of the software update? From what I can gather, the shifting moves to higher points and that is why it consumes more gas. So what are the benefits of shifting at higher points besides the related issues like engine feels more sluggish and louder?
Old 11-25-2012, 12:35 PM   #145 (permalink)

I still did not have my X for software update...as of this time i don't have any issues only the power steering. If I'll bring my X for Power Steering Warranty are they automatically update the software without asking me if I need one?
acroanmdx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2012, 02:51 PM   #146 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken88 View Post
I am confused.. So what is the advantage of the software update? From what I can gather, the shifting moves to higher points and that is why it consumes more gas. So what are the benefits of shifting at higher points besides the related issues like engine feels more sluggish and louder?
You are right this cures the sluggishness. All I can say is the software update was awesome and I really enjoy driving the x more than before. It may cost a few pennies more but this is the way the x should perform anyway. If u want better mpg then slow down and don't accelerate as quickly.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App
tolson37 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2012, 03:13 PM   #147 (permalink)

AcroanMDX: I also received the notice regarding the power steering pump issue. But when I talked to the service guy and asked if it is necessary to fix this issue, he said no unless I have to use force to steer in a tight spot. As I don't have this issue, there is no need to do anything. I guess you have to check with the service tech to determine if it is necessary to fix it.
Old 11-25-2012, 03:16 PM   #148 (permalink)

Tolson 37: Sorry if I did not explain it very well. What I meant is after the software update, the engine feels more sluggish and noisier, not the other way around. Can others who had the software update chip in to tell us about their experiences. Thanks.
Old 11-25-2012, 03:43 PM   #149 (permalink)

My X shifted and performed very well before the update. The only reason I got the update was to try to fix a thump noise I hear in the morning the first time the car shifts from 2nd to 3rd. The update made the thump less loud but it is still there. My mpg dropped and the car felt sluggish after the update, althought it seems like the computer is relearning my driving habits and it's sort of feeling like it did before the update but not as smooth as it used to be.
Dominik-X is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2012, 06:51 PM   #150 (permalink)

This is what I am concerned about, the fact that after the update, the X runs less smoothly and feels more sluggish. So why bother with the software update if there is no judder now? The other issue is it consumes more gas!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Random Question

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: